Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

$300 D'Angelico?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by soulgeezer, Mar 13, 2018.

1. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    No Longer Here
    Yeah, $300 for a "D'Angelico."

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...ercy-acoustic-electric-guitar/j50053000002000

And, they have the nerve to call it a "Premier Gramercy" and put "New York" right on the headstock!

I mean, seriously, how far have we fallen, when a name like D'Angelico can be corrupted to sell a $300 Chinese guitar?

And, look at those special features! Tonewoods!!!!!

John D'Angelico must be spinning his grave. Or, not? He was a businessman -- I guess it's possible that he'd be outsourcing his manufacturing to China, if he were alive today?

Actually, I don't think so. He was a craftsman. I'm pretty sure he'd be puking in his Cheerios, if he saw this.

<sigh>

ac15 likes this.

2. memorex

memorex Tele-Afflicted

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago
    Maybe they should change the headstock to D'Anchelico.

3. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2012
    Nebraska
    It's normally $499, so it's on sale. I guess as long as they maintain a high standard for it, it is worthy of the name. Every manufacturer in the world has out sourced some of their production to other countries. I think it is "survival". The number of people willing, or able to shell out a couple of thousand for an instrument is small. Martin, PRS, Gibson, Fender, etc., all decided to offer more price level options to stay alive. I guess you have to decide whether you want to be brand name snobs, or you want to sell instruments and stay in business.
    In a similar vein, Alvarez guitars offers "Yairi" instruments from the famed Japanese luthier, and excellent quality acoustics manufactured at other Asian countries including China. As long as quality control is maintained, and country of manufacture is shown, I do not see a problem with the D'Angelico instruments.
    The three reviews that have been written by customers all seemed pretty positive.

bgmacaw likes this.

4. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

Feb 4, 2009
    Phx, AZ
    Waiting for the PRS-headed version.... :cool:

stuffinplays likes this.

5. schmee

schmee Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    I have been toying with some sort of lower value Jazzbox to use in the Duo act. But the D'Angelico's do not have very good reviews.

6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit

He was a great craftsman and yet he jobbed out body-making for some models toward the end of his career. (Google United D'Angelico or United Code D'Angelico for more details).

Anybody can own a name if it's for sale.

Loads of folks wouldn't be caught dead playing even one of the better late 90's Danelectros - vintage only masonite for them.

Remember those ill-fated Harmony re-issues from a couple years ago ? About the only worthwhile change the new owners made was widening the fretboard as you went toward the body, as the originals were generally too narrow.

7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

There was a NAMM video where the D'Angelico reps kept pronouncing it "DEE-an-JELLY-co". Maybe that is how it should be written on the headstock.

nojazzhere likes this.

8. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA

For lower cost Jazz archtops, the Excel series and above are very nice. The current Premier line guitars aren't quite as nice. But they look exactly the same....makes it hard for the consumer to know that there is a remarkable difference.

9. backporchmusic

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    I bought one of the all-solid wood flattops about a year ago. It was the epitome of flash over sound quality. Overly glossed/finished, tinny and bright. Sent it right back. Can't imagine that a lam back/sides model, even for 300, is worth it.

10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    BigDaddy....that's essentially how I've heard it pronounced for over forty years. What is "correct" pronounciation?

11. BigDaddyLH

It's just that those boys were so "joisy", everything they said sounded funny.

nojazzhere likes this.

12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Got it! ;)

13. BigDaddyLH

I know Kurt plays D'Angelico:

14. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    No Longer Here
    dan - JELL - i (as in "it") - koh

My uncle had one of his Gibsons reworked by the real John D'Angelico, whom he met and spoke to many times, and that's how he pronounces it, so it has to be right.

nojazzhere likes this.

15. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    Would think the wood for the headstock alone would cost more than $300.

16. schmee

schmee Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    The more I research, the more Washburn pops up. Washburn...Totally off the guitar radar for me, but reviews are consistently more positive than many other brands.

17. backporchmusic

Nov 28, 2006
    USA

18. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    I agree with you. It’s nice that people can get decent quality instruments for cheap these days, but in a lot of ways the brands have been devalued in the process.

I can think of a lot of similar examples. One that comes to mind for me is Vox amps.

Since they moved most or all of their production to China I completely lost interest.

19. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    Roll that around in your mind.

D’Angelico’s, once the the top of the line arch tops of all time, now get bad reviews.

soulgeezer likes this.

20. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    Here's what classic guitars should sound like

Old Tele man, soulgeezer and BB like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.