Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

8 string purple heart stratocaster

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Newbcaster, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Meister

May 10, 2015
    Gilbert
    The name of this guitar is H.I.M...His Imperial Majesty.

I've always loved Strats, but the 21 fret thing is something I cannot live with unless it's a slide guitar, and then I will cram every inch of that pickup space with p90, Hershey bar, gold foil and and a supro lap steel,..and probably a high gain rail humbucker for the occasional Yngwie twiddle.

So this guitar is kinda what I always wanted out of a 24 fret guitar that wasn't full of whimsy and 80s glam metal. Pure statesman meets modern day awesome. Scalloped fretboard, 24 super jumbo gold jescar fretwire.

This guitar is pure Amethyst, gold and brass appointments. Haven't decided the scale yet really, though likely 25.5 tuned A TO A and Standard tuning for the middle 6.

What I love about building one piece is how little waste there is.

I easily have enough to build another guitar body or even a lap steel out of the remainder.

Plus enough scrap to make inlays, knobs...

Trees don't grow from trees ya know...

Part of my faith, without trying to be to religious here, is the sense of stewardship I think life as a human being requires.

So I buy large behemoths of wood and turn them in to guitar like objects in various states of non completion.

Even the saw dust in this case will be saved and combined with epoxy to create blocks to carve later.

Today is about sanding the top back and outer perimeter to see what I'm dealing with as far as wood beauty. Just a little cleaning up of the lines.

I have a karaoke gig tonight so those of you local stop on down and let's share in a few pints. 10 bux a pitcher of shiner bock. Pm me for details.

Attached Files:

n__B, Barncaster, Smiff and 2 others like this.

2. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D

3. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Meister

May 10, 2015
    Gilbert
    Crappy builder but getting better thanks to you fine folk

I agree.. it is sublime wood, I don't remember when I bought it, gotta be going on 5 years or so, indoors, bone dry a.c. at 72 degrees in a room where the cold/warm air empties into the house, plus convection being it's upstairs.

This wood is old and bone dry. Never split, never moved, never checked either. They do wood well at Timber Hardwoods. The center 8inches or so had no warp when I used the winding sticks.

Until I source the hardware and the truss rod since it is slab sawn... I won't be doing any routing on it yet.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!

4. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Wow. Get a crane!
    Subscribed.
    This is going to be cool.

devrock and Newbcaster like this.

5. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    Beautiful. It will turn more crimson if exposed to light.

Newbcaster likes this.

6. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Good call, but once you do source your hardware and truss rod, and decide on your scale length, please consider my post on your other thread. The routing for pickups, tremolo, control cavity, etc. ought to be done before you do any other thicknessing. It sounds like you are well prepared and your final quote above could not be truer in this case - this is a very challenging build to get right and I am looking forward to seeing it happen!

Cheers,
    Rex

7. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    Go. Faster. Now. Get this thing done!

Just kidding, I know you just started this thread today i just can't wait to see the finished project. I have subscribed and I can't wait for more updates!

Newbcaster and coonhollow greg like this.

8. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Meister

May 10, 2015
    Gilbert

You mean the router sled? I might take it to Woodworkers source and run it thru their thickness sander. That would do wouldn't it? I actually did source a crap ton of laser cut plastic rail, 1 inch by 8 inches by 8 feet. I was going to pipe clamp them to my bench and use a combination of winding sticks and measured height off the ground/laser level to be sure my rails are the same objective height. Once I've done that I could always drill one inch holes and put steel one inch rod as a sort of index.

9. Smiff

Smiff Tele-Holic

Oct 1, 2017
    UK
    That’s some really pretty wood you’ve got there!

You seem a man after my own heart saving all your dust lol.

Good luck with the build.

Newbcaster likes this.

10. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Well, no actually I was referring to my suggestion to confirm the opposite sides of the guitar are coplanar and then do all your routing EXCEPT removing the front part of the body now, before you do any thicknessing of the top. There are also a lot of unanswered questions in that post to you (and from others) that, if answered, will make the rest of the crowd able to provide much better advice. I'm talking about this response to your previous thread.
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/so-stupid-question.805873/#post-8184939

Recapping the questions - Are you planning for a tremolo? If so, what model? How thick a body does the trem need? (I think most need standard Strat thickness, 1 3/4"). Remember the plane of the fretboard needs to be 3/8" above the top of the body, not 1/4", if you are using Strat dimensional relationships. At 2 1/8" thick, I think your slab is the minimum it can be right now and support Strat dimensions, but if the tremolo or switching will allow for a thinner than 1 3/4" thick body you could narrow it a tiny bit if needed to make the sides coplanar. What kind of truss rod are you planning and how do you figure to install it? This may be one of the toughest problems if you want to maintain the one-piece integrity, which I sense is a major desire!

And yes, as a couple others said, I do recommend a router sled when it's time to thickness the top. I can't imagine a better way to do it. Don't drill holes to try to help removing 3/8". DO drill the holes for your tuners before you thickness the neck.

If you are confident you got all this handled and don't need input, I'll just shut up, but the tone of the OP about thicknessing the top implied you are interested in some collaboration.

Cheers,
    Rex

Newbcaster likes this.

11. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Meister

May 10, 2015
    Gilbert

i wish there was a way to combine those threads. the first became more than was originally intentioned. Meanwhile I was filing my taxes, changing key vendors for my practice(investment work related stuff) and quietly losing my mind in the process while still studying to be an Enrolled Agent!!!

So Thanks for the rehash. and yes, you and everyone who has great advice please keep chiming in. That's why I post!! Collab is always best!!

Tremolo... yeah...still up in the air. There WILL Be one. But for 8 strings. Hmm. My choices are to make an 8 string Brian May Style Trem, or a 8 string strat trem, or use my Kahler trem. Dunno which I will do. I may end up trying to find an 8 string floyd....

I think the guitar will end up mostly one piece. The fretboard will likely be cut from the back of the neck, shaped and replaced on top so I CAN put a truss rod and some brass/carbon fiber stock. The other option is a purple dye on flame maple fretboard.

One of the the things about routing that scares me a little and is a big hangup is what pickups I'll use. The top is beautiful and I don't want to do a humbucker route and then decide i want single coils or vice versa. I think I want single coils and one rw/rp so i can combine them for a humbucking sound.

newb

12. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    OK, well here's some collaboration:
    I had found and saved this pic a while ago and just added a couple marks to illustrate what I have been posting,
    Body Neck dimensions.jpg
    This shows why your slab can't get any thinner now and still end up with Strat-like dimensions. Everything adds up to 2 1/8" from one face to the other. It also shows why I don't think you can slice your fretboard off the back side of the neck, as you would need about 3" of wood that needs to be the body. Even if you re-contour the neck to body transition (which I sure would on either a neck-through or one piece like this one) I don't think it'll work.
    That said, I DO think there is probably a way to get a truss rod into this neck, I just haven't thought it all through yet and that may be an issue that the smarter guys here can help you with. I think it's the only issue that is possibly technically challenging on this build - the rest is quite doable. Worst case you can slice a fretboard off one of your cutoffs in the previous pics you posted and still have the remainder thick enough to make another body.

Is His Imperial Majesty's headstock big enough to fit all 8 tuners on one side or will it need to be something like a 6+2 or some other variation? What kind of nut width and string spacing are you expecting for the 8-string and how wide is your neck at the nut position now?

Regards,
    Rex

Newbcaster and Smiff like this.

13. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    FYI - Sparathane from Minwax works well at keeping that purple color. My solid Purpleheart Tele is still purple.

Newbcaster likes this.

14. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Meister

May 10, 2015
    Gilbert

The challenging part about cutting the wood off the back side of the neck is that I don't own a tool that will do it such that it is worth the effort to cut a quarter inch off plus the kerf of whatever it is. I think I'm gonna cut off another piece from the slab and use that.

That also makes putting in a truss rod/ stiffeners in much easier. Just rout from the top per usual.

The headstock IS long enough to put 8 on a side but I think 6&2 may look better??

Yeah I've been agonizing online about this. That purple color is sublime. It needs to stay THAT color. Show us a pic of that tele!!!

15. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Meister

May 10, 2015
    Gilbert
    Nut question.... what nut material would people recommend and why for Purpleheart? Without getting into the tonewood debate, this is an extremely hard, dense wood. What goes good with this kind of guitar? Bone, Brass, Tusq?

Thoughts? Anyone?

16. adamkoop

adamkoop Tele-Meister

Feb 18, 2016
    Halifax
    I like brass for how jangly it makes the open notes. Whatever my danelectros have is good too, aluminium probably.

Newbcaster likes this.

17. mindwave

mindwave Tele-Meister

Sep 16, 2011
    orlando
    I love the heart woods, and that one looks amazing, I have NEVER seen a slab or purple THAT thick.

I don't know where you are, but here you would mortgage your HOUSE

Newbcaster likes this.

18. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    That’s what SHE said! (Thank you, thank you. I’ll be here all week.)

Newbcaster likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.