Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Amp kits (rant)

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by radiocaster, Oct 11, 2017 at 1:08 PM.

1. Staggerlee666

Staggerlee666 Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2014
    MPLS
    Good for them! Do you know how many times I've burned myself touching a hot tube?

2. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    And, transistors DON'T get HOT, too, so those "finned" heat sinks are there for show?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 3:58 PM
    bparnell57 likes this.

3. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    The cabinets are the biggest markup I've found. You can't put a Mojo small parts kit together yourself with carbon comp resistors for close to the same price they charge unless you already have wholesale, bulk pricing, in which case, why would you be shopping for kits? The $300-400 cabinets is where the markup comes in because it's only $60-75 of materials at most. But, unless you want to spend $500 MINIMUM on the tools required, time to learn how and do it right, you don't have a lot of choices. And, trust me, it takes more than a few minutes to cut, joint, glue, sand, route, and tweed a cabinet. Break that down for an hourly rate of skilled labor, and it's still definitely on par.

moosie likes this.

4. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Holic

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    To be fair, yes there are plenty of tube amps available under a grand. Not many point to point hand wired ones. Look at the new Fender hand wired Deluxe Reverb. They cost plenty.

5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Buying in bulk would be buying 100 PTs, 100 OTs, 100 chassis', etc etc.
    I wonder if you pay more in EU compared to buying in the US?
    Are you looking at US kit companies?
    Are there amp kip places near you?
    Ceriatone might have good prices, not sure how far the shipping is, or what you have for local options.
    If you want to go cheap, hunt for parts on ebay, hunt for overstock chassis and transformers from whoever it is that had all those leftover VHT amp parts for super cheap prices.

Kit sellers are trying to make a profit, not offer a service.
    And many components come in cheap/ mid grade/ high quality.
    By the time you've hunted down the same parts from the same manufacturers at better prices, you might as well buy them before clearing them off your computer to tell us you found better deals than the resellers offer.
    Maybe you should buy ten amps worth and resell them for only a 10% markup!
    Make a few bucks!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 10:40 AM

6. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Something that blows my mind is I've seen ads on TV for a company that will sell you dinner making kits; like all the ingredients to cook yourself a meal; for only $10 per person. Shipped to your door.

Now THAT is crazy.

jsnwhite619 likes this.

7. King Fan

King Fan Tele-Afflicted

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    MilwMark likes this.

8. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Yeah I can recall quite a few threads where a hobby builder orders various parts and then struggles to get voltages right because the PT is similar but not exactly the same as either one particular schematic or a build thread or a kit parts group they based it on.

There are an awful lot of different versions of any given popular hobby build amp floating around in internet reality.

9. beninma

beninma Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Haha.. you got that right. We get those all the time, they look really expensive for what you get, and some of them can't send you recipes/ingredients that are allergy safe.

I wasn't trying to knock the idea of building your own amp. I guess I wandered into the thread thinking you could save a boatload of money building your own... I would definitely be a target for this kind thing I guess... building my own cabinet would probably be the hardest part for me. And yes I guess they are reasonable versus the new p2p DRRI.

10. moosie

moosie Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I can't see why anyone would buy that. Not when I can make dinner in my microwave by pressing three buttons. Or driving thru McDonalds. Cook? A whole meal? Crazy...

Wait, does it come with instructions and support? :lol:

telemnemonics likes this.

11. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    I've seen a ton of schematics with no indications of any kind for the transformers, not even the secondary voltage, never mind amperage.

Then there's the really cool schematics that even show voltages inside the circuit, those are pretty rare, but nice.

telemnemonics likes this.

12. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.
    Mojo sells the kits, but just try ordering every part in that kit one at a time and I guarantee there will be at least 5 or 6 parts on backorder. I've never found all the parts at one or even 2 vendors. Every amp I've built meant shipping from at least 3 different vendors if I wanted all the parts being delivered within a week or so of each other.

13. King Fan

King Fan Tele-Afflicted

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    And they don’t even offer a version with tubes!

14. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    ...but, but, they DO offer a solid-state version, their FROZEN dinner from Bird's Eye™ (wink,wink)

15. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    What about without the speaker?

16. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    I bought 3 kits 5e3 , 2/ 6G15's. Now i source all my own parts build my own cab's. But hears what else i have a bunch of ; was that suppose to be 100K ohms not 100 ohms, I was sure that said 50volts not 500volts, Oh i needed 4 of those, how did I miss that, what this. i'll use that baggie of parts some day

Nickfl, telemnemonics and jsnwhite619 like this.

17. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    If you want to make sure you have plenty of parts on one order, just have a couple glasses of Scotch while you're shopping and you'll end up with a huge surplus...mostly right sizes and values.

18. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    Rum works also

CoyotesGator and jsnwhite619 like this.

19. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    I bet it does. Hopefully, I'll just take your word for it until I get over that last round!
    "How many should I get? 3? Maybe 5? Eh, 10 is a good round number. Hey, 5 more and I get a discount!"

20. CoyotesGator

CoyotesGator Tele-Meister

Jul 12, 2014
    Gulf Coast
    Scotch, the number one reason white lamp jewels get ordered in quantities of 20.

I can just imagine how hard the person filling the order must have been laughing.

King Fan and jsnwhite619 like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.