Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anyone see the new Blade Runner flick yet?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by joebloggs13, Oct 6, 2017.

1. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Meister

Jun 14, 2017
    Canada
    Fantastic reviews on rotten tomatoes! Really looking forward to this one! Huge fan of the original cult classic. :)

BorderRadio likes this.

2. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    I just watched the original with my wife a couple of weeks ago. Funny thing is that was my first go at it, as I thought it was a completely different type of flick (like a Mad Max) when it came out. Really liked it!

My wife just saw the ad for the new one last night, so we are intrigued.

3. Gretschman

Gretschman TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2013
    Central NY
    I saw it last night with a friend who is also a sci-fi fan. I loved it very true to the original in tone and cinematography. It also was extremely thought provoking on many levels. I hope it does well, but my friend and I thought it may be too cerebral to appeal to the general public. Interestingly, the special Thursday night preview was not very well attended.

4. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Saw the original when first released in the theaters with my best friend. I was eleven or twelve. I've seen it many time since then. It's one of my favorites. Going to see the new one tomorrow. I'm encouraged by Gretschmans' comments. I was extremely wary when my wife first told me about the new film.

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

6. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
    Just saw it.Fantastic movie.

TeleFunk Man and rcole_sooner like this.

7. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    I wonder what Philip K. Dick would have thought of this. He liked the Ridley Scott version.

8. BigDaddyLH

Wasn't Dick seriously insane by the end of his life?

9. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    The original book nailed it

10. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    No, not really. He was fairly speed addled in the late 50's to early 60's. He'd put that behind him by the 70's. He wrote his some of his most intelligent, thoughtful and outright heavy works in the 70's.

He had a troubled life, many marriages, that sort of thing. But not insane.

He did have a pretty heavy 'religious' vision and accompanying experiences in the early 70's. But if that makes one seriously insane, then all the scientists who have reported various 'religious' or peak experiences to Dr. Charles Tarts' TASTE archives should have been institutionalized along with PKD.

cnlbb likes this.

11. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Yes. Yet it's another animal altogether.

12. BigDaddyLH

That's what I'm referring to. A quick scan through his Wikipedia entry has the doo-dee-doo-dee theme of The Twilight Zone playing in my head.

Here:

Throughout February and March 1974, Dick experienced a series of hallucinations, which he referred to as "2-3-74",[26] shorthand for February–March 1974. Aside from the "pink beam", Dick described the initial hallucinations as geometric patterns, and, occasionally, brief pictures of Jesus and ancient Rome. As the hallucinations increased in length and frequency, Dick claimed he began to live two parallel lives, one as himself, "Philip K. Dick", and one as "Thomas", a Christian persecuted by Romans in the first century AD. He referred to the "transcendentally rational mind" as "Zebra", "God" and "VALIS". Dick wrote about the experiences, first in the semi-autobiographical novel Radio Free Albemuth and then in VALIS, The Divine Invasion and the unfinished The Owl in Daylight (the VALIS trilogy).

In 1974, Dick wrote a letter to the FBI, accusing various people, including University of California, San Diego professor Frederic Jameson, of being foreign agents of Warsaw Pact powers.[27] He also wrote that Stanisław Lem was probably a false name used by a composite committee operating on orders of the Communist party to gain control over public opinion.[28]

At one point Dick felt that he had been taken over by the spirit of the prophet Elijah. He believed that an episode in his novel Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said was a detailed retelling of a biblical story from the Book of Acts, which he had never read.[29] Dick documented and discussed his experiences and faith in a private journal he called his "exegesis", portions of which were later published as The Exegesis of Philip K. Dick. The last novel Dick wrote was The Transmigration of Timothy Archer; it was published shortly after his death in 1982.

-----------------------------

VALIS (1980) is perhaps Dick's most postmodern and autobiographical novel, examining his own unexplained experiences. It may also be his most academically studied work, and was adapted as an opera by Tod Machover.[46] Later works like the VALIS trilogy were heavily autobiographical, many with "two-three-seventy-four" (2-3-74) references and influences. The word VALIS is the acronym for Vast Active Living Intelligence System. Later, Dick theorized that VALIS was both a "reality generator" and a means of extraterrestrial communication. A fourth VALIS manuscript, Radio Free Albemuth, although composed in 1976, was posthumously published in 1985. This work is described by the publisher (Arbor House) as "an introduction and key to his magnificent VALIS trilogy".

Regardless of the feeling that he was somehow experiencing a divine communication, Dick was never fully able to rationalize the events. For the rest of his life, he struggled to comprehend what was occurring, questioning his own sanity and perception of reality. He transcribed what thoughts he could into an eight-thousand-page, one-million-word journal dubbed the Exegesis. From 1974 until his death in 1982, Dick spent many nights writing in this journal. A recurring theme in Exegesis is Dick's hypothesis that history had been stopped in the first century AD, and that "the Empire never ended". He saw Rome as the pinnacle of materialism and despotism, which, after forcing the Gnostics underground, had kept the population of Earth enslaved to worldly possessions. Dick believed that VALIS had communicated with him, and anonymous others, [politics removed] whom Dick believed to be the current Emperor of Rome incarnate.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017

13. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Well, like I said, there have been plenty of others with unusual experiences, who demonstrate/present as otherwise in full possession of their faculties. Watch interviews with him, and you'll find he is very much clear headed, and highly intelligent. He exegesis, what has been published, shows a highly intelligent person, trying to make sense of a very unusual/anomalous experience. What really struck me, when I read those published, was that he never adopted a set belief, as most people would. He entertained a range of possible ideas and explanations. Including the possibility that he has lost his mind. Crazy people aren't know for that quality.

I don't put a great deal of stock in Wikipedia. It's useful, but really has its limits.

cnlbb likes this.

14. BigDaddyLH

I want to agree with you, but then I am the reincarnation of Shemp.

src9000 and Generic Schmoe like this.

15. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    I’m going to check out an afternoon matinee, here in the hood...typically, I only like to know if it’s a quality film, (88% Rotten Tomatoes) & it definitely meets my big screen criteria. It’s a rainy day, no-brainer, Raincouver call...goin 3D!!!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017

16. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Saw the original. Can't wait for this one to come on out on beta or VHS or DVD

src9000, unfamous and BorderRadio like this.

17. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I just called in sick at work to go see it.

Frank'n'censed likes this.

18. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

I loved the new one. Just saw it last Sunday. Amazing, utterly amazing cinematography. Great story, too. Very film noir. My wife at one point leaned over and said, "I don't understand 90% of what is going on". It's very much a film noir plot line, a whodunnit where the answers are not revealed until the very end. I was able to follow everything as it was happening and develop my own working theories as to how all the pieces fit together, and was pleasantly surprised by the plot twists and turns when they occurred. I fear it will hurt ratings just because most movie goers want to be spoon fed clear explanations of exactly what is happening all the time. To the point that they often write scripts such that a character actually summarizes out loud exactly what's happening. In this case they count on the intelligence of the viewer which in American cinema is probably a big mistake. If you're going to see this, the biggest and best screen you can find is well worth it. I saw it in 2D just because of movie times that fit our schedule, so can't opine on the 3D version, though I'm sure that's good as well. I have no problem seeing 3D movies, but some people get a terrible headache and are unable to resolve the two overlapping images into one coherent image and must see it in 2D.

texastengu and Frank'n'censed like this.

19. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    I saw it last weekend. I would've liked it a lot more if it was a half-hour shorter. Some memorable scenes, but sloooow.

20. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    London
    I saw it last weekend and wow. Just wow. I loved the pacing, and how wonderful to watch a science fiction movie that treated me like an adult and not throwing nonstop cartoony CGI at me.

AJ Love and Endless Mike like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.