Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Austin friends, PLEASE be careful...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jakedog, Mar 12, 2018.

1. dogbert

dogbert TDPRI Member

Mar 4, 2018
    Texas
    the problem with bombs is that once they've been used, there's not a whole lot of evidence left of how exactly the device was constructed. sure, there's residue from the compounds that can lead to forensic discovery, you can even measure the damage and impressions in materials of known property such as wood and make inferences about the gas expansion rate, and even estimate elemental composition based on the brissance from that factor. you can even study plants in an area that was bombed a long time ago and learn some things about the bombing that went on there through variations between that plants take up of nitrogenated compounds and control group plants (bombs are typically good for soil quality).

but as far as the wiring, trigger, fuse, and other details, that stuff gets ruined. was the device triggered when the package was opened? if so, how? was it cardboard wrapped in obnoxious amounts of packing tape, which is what most packages look like? was there a spring loaded string attached to a cardboard flap? these things are basically impossible to determine after the bomb has been used.

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I read this morning that they have linked the construction of one of the latest bombs with the one last week. Plus the police is not revealing the construction out to the public. So, it appears that there is enough left over to analyze.

Jakedog and Ekko like this.

3. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    Yes it's true. But fortunately people are beautiful too. As Dylan said, "You gotta serve somebody".

JuneauMike and BorderRadio like this.

4. Ekko

Ekko Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2017
    Texas
    By no means am I an expert, but I did get my degree in Criminology (focused in Investigations & Behavioral Science/Analysis).

When a person is killed by a mail bomb, I want to definitely take more than a week to investigate as opposed to jumping the gun on an easy answer and shoving my foot in my mouth.

I have so much respect for the police, but APD has had so many botches.

Just a month or so ago there was a stand off a block or so from my apartment and I listened in on the negotiation attempts over the bullhorn/PA for around 2 hours... the suspect was never even in the neighborhood, let alone the house.

A mistake here or there is to be expected; to err is human and all. But the number lately it seems is just inexcusable.

5. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

May 8, 2014
    Katy, TX

In Texas that is almost an absolute for this type of hideous crime!

SPUDCASTER likes this.

6. Ekko

Ekko Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2017
    Texas
    With the suspect having now two victims die, Capital Murder charges are on the table now.

7. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    Leadership. Department procedures aren't made up on the fly, its leadership that either puts them together or endorses and trains to them. No police department, no matter how small, should be ignorant of crisis communications.

Crisis Communications 101 says designate one voice to communicate to the public, communicate early and often and always speak truth. If you don't know, say so.

Police departments don't need to be our nanny telling us it's gonna be alright. We are partners with the police. Doesn't mean firing every chief of stumbles, but learn from mistakes. That's I guess how I see it.

8. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    At this point I don't care what they do with him. I just want them to catch him and get this over with. A lot of good folks living with fear right now and that ain't cool any time !

Ekko and SPUDCASTER like this.

9. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin

So, no one thinks this guy bombed himself anymore, and there are plenty of normal looking pictures of him, and we know he was husband, father, and president of the homeowners association.

I'm sure that was the only picture Fox could find though...

Jakedog likes this.

10. JuneauMike

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    The picture looks like maybe a drivers license photo (which they'd have ready access to for deadline reporters.) Not unusual to go with that if its the only photo they have available.

Also, the story noted that the victim faced previous charges for some unspecified crime in the county. Were the charges perhaps related to the blast in any way?

11. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    I hope they catch the person. :(

Austin is a beautiful city; I visited there many times when I lived in San Antonio, which is about an hour south on I35.

[​IMG]

tery likes this.

12. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Even worse, it may be hate-related. Victims so far have been African-American.
    Disgusting.

13. JuneauMike

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    What are you basing the "hate-related" link? Just the coincidence that they are both black? Or is there evidence that's been publicly released that suggests the bomber may have targeted a particular race?

It could just as easily be politically motivated. SXSW was going on during the time and its not out of the question that there's an anarchist or Antifa extremist type person who could have used their time in town to target racial minorities specifically to foment an angry response to so-called hate groups or white supremacist groups. Again, I don't have a shred of evidence to say that. But there's probably more instances of hate-crime hoaxes in recent media coverage than actual hate crimes.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018

14. Ekko

Ekko Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2017
    Texas
    Two (the two that died) of the three victims were black. The third who is in ICU (last I read) is Latino.

15. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    True, but it could simply be a crime of opportunity. Dude lives in that neighborhood or close.

16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

We simply don't know enough to make claims one way or the other. I'm sure the police are casting a wide net.

JuneauMike likes this.

17. Ekko

Ekko Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2017
    Texas
    I’m not a big believer in coincidence. I want more evidence and investigation, but it’s possible the two black men MAY have been targeted due to a local activism connection. Though that still doesn’t explain the Latino woman who received a package.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...es-targeted-by-package-bombs-knew-each-other/

18. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 31, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Source? If there is a discrepency in coverage of hoaxes vs. legitimate hate-crimes, it's likely because hate-crimes are sooooo common they barely count as news. They're just a regular Friday night for a lot of people.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018

19. JuneauMike

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    That is absolutely not true and really a dangerous thing to spread around for obvious reasons. And please don't quote Southern Poverty Law Center statistics, they are useless and compromised. It's unfortunate, because the SPLC used to be a really important resource.

I have confidence in the police' ability to investigate this and eventually get the sickko who did this. Speculating on a motive before there's an arrest just invites tribalism to take over the discussion. And that is guaranteed to be a corrosive discussion.

20. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 31, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    It is absolutely true. Hate crimes are a daily occurrence for several minority groups, most of which do not go reported because doing so often puts an even larger target upon their proverbial backs, and they are almost surely not going to be believed and/or accused of orchestrating it themselves for attention or with the intent of subverting the status quo (See post #53).

Oh, and in this case police are investigating this as a possible hate crime. Sorry if that doesn't fit your narrative.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.