Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Calling all reverb aficionados: Surfy Bear Build

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by theprofessor, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Holic

Working on SS devices, there are different methods that aren't necessary with tube devices.
    I built a RS delay back in the 80's, that didn't work. After extensive troubleshooting I figured out that I had damaged an insulator for one of the TO 220 transistors, and the case was shorting to the PCB! New insulator, and careful installation, and it worked! (Very noisy though)!

2. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    I've been playing through this Surfy Bear unit a lot today, and I am simply amazed at the sound. They really got this thing right. Samples forthcoming, but possibly a week from now.

SebC and BorderRadio like this.

3. SebC

SebC Tele-Meister

Apr 21, 2017
    New York
    I'm so happy to know that it works and that it sounds so good! I am waiting for my kit and tank to arrive. I am going to do the build on a toolbox (seems to have become a classic for this build). Maybe I'll also create a thread of my build! Reading through your thread has already proved helpful. I am also considering ordering their surfy trem and put both into the box. We'll see...

OriginalPhoto-541110108.140046.jpg

BorderRadio likes this.

4. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Thank you, @SebC . I'm very glad the thread has been helpful. Yes, do start a build thread. I'd love to see your progress. Cheers!

5. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2018
    USA
    I'm glad you got yours up and running after all!

Yessir, this is the one to have if you want that great outboard reverb tank sound. I used mine last weekend to play "Apache" and "Journey To The Stars" at a talent show my congregation put together. My playing was rusty and I was nervous (not having played in front of more than a couple of people in probably 7+ years) but watching the videos people took of the performance, I was very happy with my tone. Just my CV Tele (it has an aftermarket Bigsby-style trem I added specifically so it can surf) into a DOD Bi-Fet Boost feeding the Surfy Bear, then into my Quilter 101 Mini.

Excellent drippy surfy sound!

Now if only my playing was as good as the tone was...:confused:

theprofessor likes this.

6. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Ah, I'm too late. Anyone on the fence about a Revibe.... go for it. I got mine running in early January, and haven't turned it off since. Possibly my overall favorite piece of gear. Can't believe I waited so long.

BorderRadio and theprofessor like this.

7. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Holic

Who says you only need one reverb unit? I want a 6G15, or Revibe also!
    I have an old "Hot Springs" I built back in the day, used it for a time for PA reverb, and it worked great, but I don't like the sound with guitar. (The delay timing is wrong)! I have tried several stomp boxes, but only have the Boss FRV-1 now.

BorderRadio likes this.

8. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Wally, ifallalot, Axis29 and 4 others like this.

9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    theprofessor likes this.

10. SebC

SebC Tele-Meister

Apr 21, 2017
    New York
    It looks absolutely awesome!! Congrats, and can't wait to hear your audio samples

theprofessor likes this.

11. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Love the rusty Heathkit cab...

Well, maybe not rusty. But it sure looks vintage :)

theprofessor likes this.

12. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Holic

It looks good, does the power supply seem to like the incandescent bulb OK.

13. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Thanks! Yes, I think so. It's a weak bulb at 3W, but it shines enough to tell it's on.

14. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    Ack, I’m already teetering on the edge of buying one of those, and you just reminded me! :eek::lol:

15. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    If the unit sounds quiet with very little hum, you’re good. At 3w, that means 250ma from the 12v supply, which is fine from a current aspect, but the more current you draw from supplies the more ripple you get. If you notice hum, think about using a white led inside the jewel; one-tenth the current draw, and it may even be brighter, who knows.

Nice project, and congrats!

16. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Thanks very much, RLee77! Yes, it's pretty darn quiet. If I notice hum down the line, I'll consider an LED with a resistor.

17. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    I finally got a hold of a Zoom H2n today, and I made a recording with just a touch of reverb on my Surfy Bear, to demonstrate that it sounds good at rather low, non-surfy settings, too.

It's my SSS Strat (position 4) through the Surfy Bear into the Normal channel of a 5e3 (Hi input) with a Jensen P12P installed in my Hot Rod Deluxe extension cabinet. On the Surfy Bear, the Dwell is at about 3.5 (about 10 o'clock), the Mixer is at about 9-10 o'clock, the Tone is about 9-10 o'clock. Since I don't have a conventional faceplate, that's the best I can describe it. Essentially, everything is pretty low. I'll see if I can make some other recordings with slightly different settings.

18. D'tar

D'tar Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    WNY
    Excellent Professor. with the new coupling caps as well I presume? Sounds like a winner!!!

19. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Thanks! Ah, yes. The Normal channel still has a .1μF, but every other one that's spec'd for .1μF is now .047μF.

20. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 11, 2009
    Bloomington, MN
    Love it! The labels would be right out of the "book of AndyfromDenver"

robrob likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.