Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Calling all reverb aficionados: Surfy Bear Build

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by theprofessor, Feb 22, 2018.

1. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Here's one more in drop D, just for kicks. Now in position 2 on the Strat. Dwell turned up just a bit more to hear some more reverb. I muffed a couple of notes, but you get the drift. Tried to stay with something with a lot of space to hear the echo, and threw in a hard chord at the end to make the echo and decay very apparent.

2. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Thank you!

Mr Ridesglide likes this.

3. 2pointmandolin

2pointmandolin Tele-Meister

Jan 20, 2009
    central Florida
    Those labels were good enough for Ken Fischer and Trainwreck.

4. SebC

SebC Tele-Meister

Apr 21, 2017
    New York
    Thank you from posting your recordings! Ever since I got interested in the surfy bear I wanted to hear it at more discreet settings. It sounds great! Strat + 5e3 + surfy bear = yes!!!

theprofessor likes this.

5. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    Yeah, thanks a lot, Rob, I’d been tempted by the Flint for a long time but now I'm all shaky and sweating. Gas 'n' Go indeed. And to add insult to injury, I may have a new pedal reviewer to follow, if his vids in general are that clear and articulate.

Re the Flint, the video suggests it definitely doesn’t drip much. But my need to surf is minimal, and all those other verb tones and the trem just kill.

6. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    Professor, your enclosure is just awesome. Sooooo cool. Nice!!!

7. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Thanks! I executed what the mind of @ifallalot had envisioned. And it does look cool!

ifallalot likes this.

8. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Nicely done professor. Now you MUST dime that sucker and give us what we really want to hear! Drip drip drip...:D

I'm still patiently waiting for mine in the mail. Building a cab this weekend, adding the color switch: six position rotary with a various capacitor values.

9. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Thanks! OK. Will do. I'm tired of writing this morning anyway...

BorderRadio likes this.

10. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    At your request, @BorderRadio ! I don't know any surf music, so I just made up something that would demonstrate the drip and splash and, well, the TIDAL WAVE that is the Surfy Bear when maxed out. SSS Strat (position 2) into Surfy Bear into 5e3. Surfy Bear Dwell and Mixer all the way up. Tone is just over halfway up. I have 10's on the Strat with a low action, and I never play with the sharp edge of the pick, but I did this time. Not great, but you get the point...

SebC and BorderRadio like this.

11. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Feb 24, 2012
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Wow that sounds just as good as the 6G5 I had for a while

theprofessor likes this.

12. BorderRadio

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ah, your first foray into splash surf, not bad :) Thanks, sounds great, just as I hoped.

theprofessor likes this.

13. D'tar

D'tar Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    WNY
    Just ordered surfy parts!!! Have you A/B'd the larger tank. i think I like the smaller footprint and may go that route.

Sounds good professor!

theprofessor and BorderRadio like this.

14. BorderRadio

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Got my parts today. Fun times, but I need a power supply...

theprofessor likes this.

15. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Thanks, D'tar! I forgot about A/B'ing the two. I need to do that. All the samples I posted are with the small tank, and it seems to have plenty of reverb to me!

I used this one, but I think it was eligible for Prime when I ordered it (and thus fast delivery with free shipping). https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VQDMTO/?tag=tdpri-20

BorderRadio and D'tar like this.

16. BorderRadio

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks professor, I was thinking of using something inside the enclosure so I can plug it in with a basic IEC power cord. I suppose I could rig this up...

Bill Moore likes this.

17. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Ah, right. That's a good idea. I'd like to see how you did that once it's done.

18. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Holic

BorderRadio, you don't have to add another plug! I have a (now dead) jump start box that just centered a wall wart in a hole, and clamped it to the front plate. Any extension cord will work.
    WW2 (1).jpg WW2 (2).jpg

19. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    It makes me really happy that the Surfy Bear has landed at TDPRI, with threads, samples, and lots of pics. I think it may help it get some more attention. It certainly deserves it, in my opinion.

@D'tar - I just swapped in my MOD 4AB3C1B, and it sounds great. As advertised, the decay time is longer. But like the same reverb tank that is built into my Deluxe Reverb, it can get pretty big and spacey pretty fast. Unless you're looking to shoot for the moon with your reverb, I think the small-spring tank can get you where you need to go. As the sound samples above show (I think), there's still plenty of reverb there. And it can surf, too.

20. D'tar

D'tar Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    WNY
    Thanks professor, that is about what I expected and needed to hear. All I really need or want is usually a touch of reverb unless just goofing around.

I have time to ponder... They cant ship before the 21st.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.