Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Calling all reverb aficionados: Surfy Bear Build

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by theprofessor, Feb 22, 2018.

1. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    The small tank is more than enough for a smooth touch of reverb, and I think it's easier to dial in that smooth touch without it become overwhelming, as it so easily can with the larger tank.

2. D'tar

D'tar Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    WNY
    If you havent already, With your deluxe reverb you might try a 12au for the reverb driver.

Nickfl likes this.

3. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Thanks! Yes, I did that a while back and liked it. I liked it enough to stock up on a few nice 12AU7's, which are cheap. But I ended up with a 12AT7-type again, largely because of the wonderful tonality of the Mullard CV4024.

4. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2012
    United States
    Congrats Professor, you and your Surfy Bear sounds fantastic.

theprofessor likes this.

5. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Thanks, Rob!

6. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Canada
    Wow. I’m impressed with the Surfy Bear reverb. I must admit I’ve been in the dark over the kit. I have never heard of it before. I glanced at this thread title a few times and skimmed along too quickly. Lots of distractions too with other hobbies.

What a great verb option. Would it fit in a large sized EHX electronic enclosure for example? Say a POG2 size?

7. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Yes, it's quite small, and everything but the reverb tank would fit inside a pedal enclosure.

8. Tapatio

Tapatio Tele-Meister

Jun 13, 2016
    New Jersey, USA
    Now that you've nailed the Surfy Bear, how can we talk you into building a 6G15 and documenting the process?

9. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Aw, man! The Surfy Bear is going to keep me from a 6G15. I've thought of building one before, but not anymore. They're pretty expensive kits, all things considered, and the Surfy Bear gets you so close! But there are plenty of others who have built 6G15's on TDPRI. I think @tubeswell is one of the authorities on those.

BorderRadio likes this.

10. Tapatio

Tapatio Tele-Meister

Jun 13, 2016
    New Jersey, USA
    Indeed he is!! tubeswell helped me a lot on my build, and I love it. But now you've made me want to build a Surfy Bear to complement the arsenal.

11. blues bondsman

blues bondsman Tele-Holic

Feb 12, 2012
    Indiana
    What was the turn around time on the kit ?
    Sorry if I missed that in all 7 pages LOL

12. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I think I got mine in 8 days. The price with shipping is up there somewhere, just shy of 95 bucks.

Bill Moore and blues bondsman like this.

13. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Do it! It's not expensive, and it sounds great! If you can build a 6G15, this is a breeze! (Even if you couldn't, this is a breeze.)

What BorderRadio said. I got mine second-hand in the U.S., so it wasn't the same price as his. But even at just under $95, it is less than most pedals. That's what got me thinking on the Surfy Bear. I could either get a Boss RV-6 and use primarily one setting on it (the spring setting), or I could get the Surfy Bear cheaper and have something that sounds better (IMO) and is not digital. Surfy Bear for the win!

blues bondsman and BorderRadio like this.

14. BorderRadio

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Got my build started. Making a tolex covered enclosure will take longer than assembling this kit, including the shipping wait time! :)

3B7DBEA6-805B-4FA8-AC59-92F240F33A42.jpeg

15. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    That's fantastic! What's the knob on the far right?
    Seriously, that chassis is top-notch!

BorderRadio likes this.

16. BorderRadio

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks again! This is the "color switch" mod, I'll link it here and in my build thread. Check out the linked sound clip--that convinced me it was worth finding all these tiny caps.

https://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/28840/

robrob and D'tar like this.

17. blues bondsman

blues bondsman Tele-Holic

Feb 12, 2012
    Indiana
    Well..................
    Ya done went ta meddl'n around and now I have an order confirmation from Sweden saying some crazy thing bout 625 Swedish Krona's LOL !!!

By the way that is how we Hoosiers really talk LOL !

I'm so hyped about this project, The wife works for Hobby Lobby and is already hunting for the perfect metal box for my new Surfy Bear.

I even found the Surf Guitar 101 site and have gotten through about ten pages so far.

Please if you well tell me about a short tank ??? that meets the specs ?

18. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    Maybe this is already linked somewhere in this fine thread, but here’s a reverb shootout including surfy bear that lets you do a blind listening test first and doesn’t reveal the answers until a few pages on. https://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/25376/?page=1

blues bondsman likes this.

19. 2pointmandolin

2pointmandolin Tele-Meister

Jan 20, 2009
    central Florida
    20180331_083333-1_resized.jpg I finally got mine built. I went with a Gilligan's Island theme. I used the TAD pan and some parts scavenged from old amps. Sounds great.

tubeswell, Axis29, Bill Moore and 4 others like this.

20. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Oh, my goodness, that's fantastic! Surfy Bear is takin' TDPRI by storm! (speaking of Gilligan's Island).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.