Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Canine Mast Cell Tumor?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Wallo Tweed, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2011
    Eastern PA, USofA
    Our 12 year old yellow lab was diagnosed with a cancerous mast cell tumor in his groin area. It's about 1.5 in, and I think it formed fairly quickly as he likes to lay on his back and have his belly rubbed, and nether of us noticed it till about a week ago.

He is in surgery to have it removed now, and then it has to be examined to determine if it is grade 1,2, or 3. According to info that we have been able to find, having a MCT in the groin region is not a good sign. We decided at the onset that we would not go crazy with trying to save him, but he has been a very good friend to us for over 10 years and we feel that we owe it him to at least try the surgery.

Going by the age chart in vets office he is 93, and he has had a very good life on our farm. He can still run around, but not as fast as he used to, and walks about a mile everyday. We are hoping for the best.

I feel weird posting this about a dog when there are members here that are fighting for their lives.

Here are a few pics from this summer. Does anyone have experience with these mcts on their dog? blob.jpg blob.jpg

Frank'n'censed and badfish_lewis like this.

2. JustStartingOut

JustStartingOut Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

No experience but I hope the surgery helps! He's very handsome.

haggardfan1 and Wallo Tweed like this.

3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I have been through this several times with pets that I simply adored. It's hard turning loose of a good and loyal friend, attributes not often found among our human kind brethren. I hope the surgery fixes him right up. If people were more like dogs, there's no doubt in my mind that the world would indeed be a better place.

4. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    down every road
    Praying for a great outcome to this. Few things are harder than health issues with a furry friend, I've been there many times; but they're worth it and they depend on us for everything.

Wallo Tweed likes this.

5. Wallo Tweed

Dec 6, 2011
    Eastern PA, USofA

Yes he is, and he knows it because he has been hearing it all his life. When someone tells him he is handsome, he sits up straight and actually strikes a pose. I think that is why his head is so big.

rburd2 and JustStartingOut like this.

6. Wallo Tweed

Dec 6, 2011
    Eastern PA, USofA
    It sure is. Our last dog was a Lab/Sheltie/??? 65 lb. mixed mutt, that lived to be 16 years old. He was the smartest dog we ever had, and he was a great grunt hunter, which is a desirable trait living where we do.

But he got diabetes when he was about 15. We thought he was just getting old and ready to go. So by the time he was diagnosed, he had kidney damage. My wife nursed him along for another year till the sparkle went out of his eyes, and then we decided that enough was enough. It was tough taking him to his last vet visit.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Toto'sDad likes this.

7. Wallo Tweed

Dec 6, 2011
    Eastern PA, USofA
    Yes they do, but he helped me out tremendously about 6 years ago when I had major surgery on my foot. I spent 6 months on the sofa before I could put any weight on it, and a year and half till I could walk without a cane. Day after day he laid on his futon and gave me the stink eye, because he knew it was going to be another day locked up in the house. But he never gave up on me.

Jakeboy and haggardfan1 like this.

8. badfish_lewis

badfish_lewis Tele-Meister

Jun 26, 2014
    Toronto
    Been through many surgeries with many dogs unfortunately. Hope your buddy recovers, they are family as far as I'm concerned.

My 5 year old pooch had had TPLO surgery on both knees just this year. $5,000 per knee but he's doing great now.

Wallo Tweed likes this.

9. Wallo Tweed

Dec 6, 2011
    Eastern PA, USofA
    I agree, but not everyone else does. The person we got him from had found him wandering in the wilderness. He had no collar
    or ID, no chip either. He had mange, infections in both ears, fleas, ticks, and was down to about 80 lbs.

My theory is that someone bought a cute little puppy, and two years later when he was a 100 lb. bundle of energy with a tail that could clear off a coffee table, they told the kids they were going to give him to the farmer. And just dumped him off in the boonies. It was amazing that the Coyotes didn't get him.

10. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Went through 2 surgeries to remove tumors on 2 dogs,which gave them, and me, each an extra year.
    Good luck

Wallo Tweed likes this.

11. Wallo Tweed

Dec 6, 2011
    Eastern PA, USofA
    Thanks.
    Where were the tumors located?
    If we get an extra year out of him, the surgery will be well worth it.

12. badfish_lewis

badfish_lewis Tele-Meister

Jun 26, 2014
    Toronto
    Count yourself as a damn good person. If only more people were like that.

All the best

Wallo Tweed likes this.

13. Wallo Tweed

Dec 6, 2011
    Eastern PA, USofA
    I must add that the person who found him was the one that nursed him back to health. But they had 2 young kids, and another dog, and lived in a mobile home park. He couldn't get enough exercise there.
    They were the real good people.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Frank'n'censed and badfish_lewis like this.

14. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Holic

Nov 26, 2014
    London
    For me, this is a love and hate story.

I hate the sick animal part, but I love the caring human part.

Having travelled the same road, I've never been able to work out how much the animal realises this is a different phase of their life.

One things for sure, that dog won't love you a millionth of one percent less, regardless of whatever treatment he's having. It's unconditional love and you're blessed to have that.

badfish_lewis and Wallo Tweed like this.

15. Wallo Tweed

Dec 6, 2011
    Eastern PA, USofA
    I often wonder if he remembers the other places he has lived.
    The folks we got him from had a little girl about 10 years old, and she was heartbroken to have to give him up.
    We told them that they could come visit him whenever they wanted, but we never saw them again.

16. straightface

straightface Friend of Leo's

Nov 17, 2006
    MA
    No experience with those tumors but hoping everything works out for you and him.

Wallo Tweed likes this.

17. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    One was a female , breast cancer, so on her tummy.
    The other a male had one on the chest one on a hind leg.
    The extra year is worth the surgery.
    But beyond that .....
    Also both dogs were 11~12 y.o.

Wallo Tweed likes this.

18. Fender427

Fender427 TDPRI Member

Oct 1, 2015
    Northeast
    Hope things turn out well for both of you.

Wallo Tweed likes this.

19. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Aug 10, 2016
    SF Bay Area/California
    Hope your dog recovers well and have at a least a few years added to his life. We love our pets as dearly as they appreciate us.

Wallo Tweed likes this.

20. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 3, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Wishing the best for your dog. He's a member of your family and you shouldn't feel bad about posting about him.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.