Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Chicago : "Old Days", Terry Kath and the Telecaster

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by ZackyDog, Feb 7, 2018.

1. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    Here is a great live rendition of Chicago's, Old Days.

Terry Kath's modified Telecaster (he has a humbucker in the neck position) sounds really sweet and his rhythm playing is stellar, to my ears. He even turns on the Wah-wah pedal at about midway.

kath.png

As you can hear, they were a very tight band. I like this version better than the studio recording.

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Very well crafted song!

broadcaster and ZackyDog like this.

3. rogb

rogb Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2012
    London, England
    And lovely Sound City amps too, I loved those babies :)

broadcaster and ZackyDog like this.

4. rogb

rogb Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2012
    London, England
    And tight as a duck's quacker!

5. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Kath was an overlooked guitarist...the band took a major nosedive when he passed

6. broadcaster

broadcaster Tele-Holic

Oct 16, 2003
    Joliet, Illinois
    Terry Kath years with Chicago were the best!

7. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    I agree.

8. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    For those who are interested, there is a pretty good documentary on the band. I think it was on Netflix. I always took them for granted a bit, but man, they were stacked with talent.

We sang “Old Days” for 8th grade graduation!

MrCairo46, broadcaster and ZackyDog like this.

9. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

Feb 6, 2011
    Chicago
    Kath was great the bass player peter ? Never liked his vocals.

10. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    I think a lot of people feel that way, though objectively, he’s a pretty excellent singer, at least in terms of skills.

11. broadcaster

broadcaster Tele-Holic

Oct 16, 2003
    Joliet, Illinois
    I like Peter's vocals in the band's 1970s songs. It's his 80s solo pop stuff that turns me right away.

ZackyDog likes this.

12. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

A baby boomer who did grade school through high school band is showing here. In those junior and high school days that band was cool and great in many ways. Good melodies, a rock band with a place for what my friends and i played (horns), from a place I'd go to, songs on the radio my parents would listen to too, and the slow dance song at every school event.

13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye TDPRI Member

Feb 2, 2018
    St. Louis
    Kath was amazing. He was in a band full of classically trained musicians who were all in awe of him. And with good reason. He's one of the reasons I love a Telecaster.

And for the record, Cetera was a pretty good bass player and singer, although I can't think of any Chicago songs after Kath that I like. For me personally, Chicago died the night Terry shot himself.

14. Gibsonsmu

Gibsonsmu Tele-Meister

May 7, 2015
    Texas
    Chicago is one of those top bands that started so strong and just went on to be awful with personnel changes. Like Fleetwood Mac. Kath was awesome.

ZackyDog and Floyd Eye like this.

15. jguitarman

jguitarman Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2003
    No CA
    Yep. I loved the early CTA. They morphed into a commercialized pop band and that's when I lost interest. My high school had a band that was doing Chicago covers and did them well as I remember. Horn bands were cool. I also liked Blood, Sweat and tears.

ZackyDog, Floyd Eye and broadcaster like this.

16. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye TDPRI Member

Feb 2, 2018
    St. Louis
    I almost agree. Although I think comparing Buckingham-Nicks era Fleetwood Mac with the Cetera dreck from the 80s is a big stretch. The first 2 FM albums with Buckingham-Nicks as well as their album that predated it are all great albums.

17. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 TDPRI Member

Aug 20, 2017
    Federal Way, Washington
    Terry Kath was the one who inspired me to take up the guitar, I saw him before he started playing the Tele, in 1970. (I guess that really dates me) The first time I saw him, he was playing a Strat, and don't forget, he was as awesome at singing, as he was a virtuoso at the guitar! He really WAS a white Ray Charles.....
    Terry Kath Strat.jpg
    Amazing factoid: they have been playing together for 50 years now, and the horn players are STILL the original lineup!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    ZackyDog, broadcaster and Floyd Eye like this.

18. Larmo63

Larmo63 Tele-Meister

Feb 1, 2018
    San Clemente
    I was dating a really hot redhead in the late eighties and she used to buy tickets to concerts to surprise me. When she told me had Chicago tickets, I was a bit bummed because I thought they were crap.

Seriously, one of the best concerts I've EVER been to. They were great. Surprisingly great. They had the full orchestra with them too. Tris Imboden, their drummer grew up in my neighborhood too.

ZackyDog likes this.

19. Gibsonsmu

Gibsonsmu Tele-Meister

May 7, 2015
    Texas
    That's fair and I agree. I think I just love Green Fleetwood Mac! Maybe Michael McDonald doobies? Although the Doobies were never as good as the early Mac or Chicago

Floyd Eye likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.