Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Chicago : "Old Days", Terry Kath and the Telecaster

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by ZackyDog, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Mechanic

Mechanic Tele-Afflicted

I recall a story where Hendrix was in awe of Kath. Only pedal he used was wah pedal. Straight into the amp.
    After Kath passed, there wasn’t the competition for Front time for Cetera so his vocals also made Chicago stale.
    Great era of Chicago, Blood, Sweat & Tears, American Flag!

2. SubDoc

SubDoc Tele-Meister

Feb 25, 2014
    Washington state
    Incredible chops as a guitarist and very soulful vocals. The band went away from the jazz rock format into pop-schlock after he died.

broadcaster and ZackyDog like this.

3. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Tele-Afflicted

Those looked like the big boys, the 120s. I couldn't tell if Kath or Cetera was playing through them.

I played through a 50 for a while, loved that amp. I'd like to get another one, but prices on those amps are through the roof.

- D

4. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Tele-Afflicted

I first saw them in a high school gym outside of Philly, and Terry was playing an SG. It was right after the first album came out and nobody really knew who they were.

I stood right in front of Kath the whole show. He was the real deal.

- D

ZackyDog likes this.

5. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

I cannot say enough about Terry and recently the movie his daughter completed recently about him and him under appreciated talent.

broadcaster and ZackyDog like this.

6. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    I loved the earlier stuff but begin to lose interest after the 1973 album.
    As to Fleetwood Mac there are really only two versions that matter: The Peter Green Era and McVie/Buckingham/Nicks areas which are obviously worlds apart.

ZackyDog likes this.

7. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 TDPRI Member

Aug 20, 2017
    Federal Way, Washington
    A lot of people Bash Cetera, and rightfully so, BUT he was the "cute" one and the girls all went Gaga for him. Because of that, Chicago sold a lot of records, and the record company capitalized and wanted more of the same. Many more girls than guys were buying them at that time, and they went from a rock band with an edge, to a more polished, ballad oriented style with Peter Cetera singing on the majority of them. It made them all wealthy, but in the end broke apart what was a truly awesome and very original band. The loss of Terry was kind of ironic, as he was the ONLY one who was not classically trained and couldn't read music, and he was the bandleader.

Mechanic and broadcaster like this.

8. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 TDPRI Member

Aug 20, 2017
    Federal Way, Washington

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.