Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Chicago : "Old Days", Terry Kath and the Telecaster

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by ZackyDog, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Mechanic

Mechanic Tele-Afflicted

I recall a story where Hendrix was in awe of Kath. Only pedal he used was wah pedal. Straight into the amp.
    After Kath passed, there wasn’t the competition for Front time for Cetera so his vocals also made Chicago stale.
    Great era of Chicago, Blood, Sweat & Tears, American Flag!

2. SubDoc

SubDoc Tele-Meister

Feb 25, 2014
    Washington state
    Incredible chops as a guitarist and very soulful vocals. The band went away from the jazz rock format into pop-schlock after he died.

broadcaster and ZackyDog like this.

3. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Tele-Afflicted

Those looked like the big boys, the 120s. I couldn't tell if Kath or Cetera was playing through them.

I played through a 50 for a while, loved that amp. I'd like to get another one, but prices on those amps are through the roof.

- D

4. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Tele-Afflicted

I first saw them in a high school gym outside of Philly, and Terry was playing an SG. It was right after the first album came out and nobody really knew who they were.

I stood right in front of Kath the whole show. He was the real deal.

- D

ZackyDog likes this.

5. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

I cannot say enough about Terry and recently the movie his daughter completed recently about him and him under appreciated talent.

broadcaster and ZackyDog like this.

6. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I loved the earlier stuff but begin to lose interest after the 1973 album.
    As to Fleetwood Mac there are really only two versions that matter: The Peter Green Era and McVie/Buckingham/Nicks areas which are obviously worlds apart.

ZackyDog likes this.

7. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2017
    Federal Way, Washington
    A lot of people Bash Cetera, and rightfully so, BUT he was the "cute" one and the girls all went Gaga for him. Because of that, Chicago sold a lot of records, and the record company capitalized and wanted more of the same. Many more girls than guys were buying them at that time, and they went from a rock band with an edge, to a more polished, ballad oriented style with Peter Cetera singing on the majority of them. It made them all wealthy, but in the end broke apart what was a truly awesome and very original band. The loss of Terry was kind of ironic, as he was the ONLY one who was not classically trained and couldn't read music, and he was the bandleader.

MrCairo46, Mechanic and broadcaster like this.

8. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2017
    Federal Way, Washington

9. Ben-Zion

Ben-Zion Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2017
    Louisville
    I STILL miss Terry Kath on a regular basis. Chicago’s first three albums are masterpieces from start to finish. And that original incarnation of the group was unbelievable live! Truly one of the saddest tales of a great band that went to hell in a hand basket. When Terry died I think the rest of the group cut off their own testicles.

I’m sure it has been discussed somewhere here, but the new Kath documentary film is really a treat. Not much footage of Terry speaking, but great stuff overall. It’s available on iTunes.

drmmrr55 likes this.

10. Ben-Zion

Ben-Zion Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2017
    Louisville
    “I could never figure out if they were a horn band with a great guitar player, or an incredible guitar player backed by a horn section.” Joe Walsh

Frank'n'censed likes this.

11. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

In interviews, James Pankow, Bobby Lamm, Lee and Walt all agree that Terry was THE leader, counting off tunes and whistling to get everyone’s attention to get out of a solo. After seeing his daughters movie and hearing about Terry, I think everyone knew he’d kick their butt if they didn’t listen to him.
    I. Gonna make this weekend a listen to Terry weekend.

drmmrr55 and Ben-Zion like this.

12. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2017
    Federal Way, Washington
    I still watch the Tanglewood concert that's floating around on YouTube from 1970.......incredible! The video is a little fuzzy, but the sound is still fantastic!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    Ben-Zion likes this.

13. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Great band, and great player that's all too often overlooked.
    This never gets old:

Ben-Zion and ZackyDog like this.

14. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    Chicago - the early stuff - means the world to me. Amazing music!

I was 18 in 1968 when the band really started to hit (along with Blood, Sweat, & Tears, Sons of Champlin!, Tower of Power) and with my room mate in college, we immersed ourselves in this music totally and went to their concerts. Terry Kath was amazing; such a tragic ending for him and loss for the band, as well as loss to his music audience.

Interestingly, Bill Champlin (of Sons of Champlin, later The Sons) ultimately went on to join Chicago. I was a huge fan of Bill Champlin and Terry Haggerty (amazing guitarist!) when the Sons of Champlin were active from 1968 to 1972 or so. Living in the San Francisco Bay Area, we saw a lot of Sons of Champlin concerts in the late sixties and early seventies - those really WERE the days! Not to mention Jefferson Airplane, The Dead, Zeppelin, Stones, Steve Miller (early), Quicksilver Messenger Service, Albert King, Johnny Winter... they were all regular performers at Winterland and the Fillmore Auditorium (Bill Graham almost always personally introduced the bands) in S.F.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    Ben-Zion likes this.

15. DonM

DonM Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Henderson,NV/SLC,UT
    I saw them opening for the Beach Boys in 1975. Both bands came out together at the end and each played one of the other's songs. They were great and I remember them covering the Beach Boy's Darlin perfectly.

16. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    Peter is a great singer and bass player, but Chicago was more than just him.

They had seven people who were excellent musicians. Some of who were great singers (Lamm, Cetera, Kath) and songwriters (Lamm, Pankow, Loughnan, Kath). They were playing stadiums and selling hit singles and LPs, before Peter'sGrammy Winning Song: If You Leave Me Now.

17. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2017
    Federal Way, Washington
    I totally agree, but he did attract a LOT of attention from the girls. When I was in high school, all the girls loved Chicago, but Cetera was their guy, my girlfriend had the worst crush on him, and I was jealous. Terry Kath had my attention, and made me want to play the guitar!

Awesome band all around, and Cetera was part of the equation, but he "outgrew" the band after Kath's demise, and his pop ballad style songs were what sold records in the mid to late 70's. His parting from the band was not amicable, and left Chicago fans like me empty, hence that's why I think he deserved bashing......to this day, he says "a reunion? NEVER"

18. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    You or I never knew what it was like for him, despite what you have read. It's like asking a couple to reunite, where the man was on the receiving end of a wife's philandering. Or me, to reunite with my former Boeing manager from hell.

Yes, I was disappointed that he wasn't part of the Hall Of Fame reunion, but I understand respect where he is coming from.

19. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2017
    Federal Way, Washington
    True, but there is bad blood and it comes from somewhere, Lamm is still in the band as is Pankow, Lougnane, and Parazader, but you are correct, I don't really know because I was not there, but I haven't read anywhere from anyone that Cetera got the short end of the stick, It was a business decision.

20. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Holic

Dec 14, 2009
    Latrobe PA
    Huge early Chicago and TK fan (check out my avatar). I have seen so many concerts from a younger age, since I had an older brother who could drive to other cities to attend.

I first of all wish the TK documentary would be shown on something other than Axs, since I cannot get that channel. I even contributed to the Kickstarter campaign.

Cetera was in fact a very good bass player; if you listen to his work on the Carnegie Hall album you'll likely agree. As for his soft-pop-ballad stuff, he always pushed that, but the rest of the band was not into that, and stifled more than 1 per album.

There was a lot at play about the time TK died; Lamm was drying up as a songwriter, so fewer social commentary songs. Cetera had songs, and they had to carry on, so his took over. Consequently (if you read the Danny Seraphine book), Cetera wanted total control. Brought in David Foster (which really killed the band IMO). When others started to complain he just wanted out.

Since then (and maybe before), I have considered them a cover band. Talented, yes, but a shell of what had been.

drmmrr55 and Ben-Zion like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.