Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Clean boost and Compressor

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by ToddinTX, Oct 10, 2017.

1. ToddinTX

ToddinTX Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Which should be first in the chain?

2. ToddinTX

ToddinTX Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    I'm assuming compression first then clean boost but I might be wrong.

3. blille

blille Tele-Holic

If you want a volume boost from the boost, the compressor will only "fight" against it so comp first.

The only scenario I can see boost first is if you have boost first into OD (to juice it) then comp. You wouldn't be going after a volume boost but rather a heavier OD.

4. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Holic

Sep 11, 2016
    L.A.
    You have to experiment and try all the different combinations and see what gets you what you want. There is no correct way.

That said, for the tone I'm looking for with my amp and guitar I like compressor before the boost. My basic chain: tuner>compressor>OD>boost>modulation>reverb>amp.

Generally, putting the boost after comp and OD makes it louder. Boost before OD makes it dirtier.

Iago and rooboo like this.

5. tomtama

tomtama TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Jul 23, 2016
    Taunton
    I've found that compression first then clean boost works best for me.

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Comp first for sure.

7. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2015
    Seligenstadt, Germany
    Never been a big fan of compression pedals, I only used it back in my 19"-rack-days in the late 90s/early00s. I had compression always first in the chain, as I wanted to get an even and sustaining tone with less distortion - my take on a David Gilmour tone.
    I skipped compressors as I felt the dynamic range suffered too much.....

If you put a boost in front of the amp, it'll add gain up to the point where your preamp-input is overdriven.
    I have my booster in my effectloop, as I only use it as a volume boost for louder passages.

8. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    It can be...

Comp>od>boost

Or...

OD>comp>boost

Or..

Comp>boost>od

Never would (IMHO) Boost come before comp unless boost is set very, very mildly as a always on tone enhancer and comp is dialed into work with that level of boost.

Rospo likes this.

9. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2017
    Sweden
    Like Doghouse Riley said: there are no right or wrong in this. Try every possible combination and LISTEN. If you like it – than that's that. If you don't well then switch around. Some pedals will sound really different if you put them first or last in the pedal chain. Some don't really change that much. But as for right or wrong, it's like to say what is the right tone pot setting on an amp. It all depends! Just go for it!

Doghouse_Riley likes this.

10. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    Are you trying to make your compressed sound louder, or are you wanting to hit the compressor harder? If you are happy with your compressor settings and just want a louder version of that - put the boost after the compressor. If you want to change the dynamics of your compressor (ie: make it squish more) put it before the comp.

Never say never... :) putting a boost before a compressor changes the input level of the comp, therefore the compression amount increases (ie: it squishes more). EG: This allows me to have a very subtle "always on" comp with my tele, but when I hit the boost I get a ridiculously good pedal steel tone that holds notes forever without changing any setting on the comp.

Just like distortion.... putting a boost before the effect increases the "effect". Putting it after the effect, makes the effected sound "louder"! Two different results, both have their purpose.

Just my 2 cents...

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    Rospo, Modman68, RetroTeleRod and 2 others like this.

11. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 26, 2003
    Augusta, Maine
    Most people put the compressor first - as you just noticed.

12. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2012
    Troy, MO
    +1 to codamedia's approach for me. I like a mild compression on all the time, and when I solo I like to hit the compressor with the boost to make it compress harder. Some of the boost "makes it through" to the amp this way so you still get the effect of a hotter signal too.

But my compressor settings are there to put just a touch of sag or bounce into the feel of a fast, stiff amp...not to make an overt effect.

13. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    A lot of guitar compressors like the Dyna comp have the sustain knob which boosts the input signal over a fixed threshold. A boost before the OD would be like turning that knob up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.