Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Compensated Slotted Saddles For American Special

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DAKnox, Mar 10, 2018.

1. DAKnox

DAKnox Tele-Meister

Aug 23, 2014
    Scotland
    I've got an American Special which I absolutely love. My only little niggle, and it is just a niggle as I've been gigging it for about a year now!... is that the strings can slide around on the saddles.

I only really notice when putting new strings on. I go to strum and think... Nope that low e is too close to the edge... Then I have to slide the string along the saddle with my hands a tiny bit.

So I'd like Saddles that hold them in place and I think I may as well go compensated while I'm at it.

Can anyone suggest Saddles which can do this and are a direct fit onto the American Special bridge plate?

And any pros and cons to this welcome too.

Cheers guys!

2. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2011
    Southeast Florida
    I've had that problem and just file a slight groove in the saddle so the string doesn't move.

DAKnox likes this.

3. DAKnox

DAKnox Tele-Meister

Aug 23, 2014
    Scotland
    Good idea might have a look at doing that.

4. golfnut

golfnut Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    I'm using Rutters in my 52RI, which are slotted. Not sure if he has a drop in replacement for your guitar.

DAKnox likes this.

5. Steve_U1S

Steve_U1S Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    So as to not affect the witness point / jumping-off point of the string, I and many others would recommend doing the slotting around the back upper quarter area of the saddles.

If you examine the geometry of the strings emerging from the body & bridge plate holes and leaning up to come into tangent alignment with the surfaces of the barrels, you'll see they come into string contact around the back.
    Take some time to arrange the strings into the exact positions you like, being careful to stay clear of the height adjustment screw holes/screws.
    You can now mark the correct spots to follow the path of the strings along the back - I use thin modellers' masking tape to do this - and then loosen one string at a time and use fine files (very much preferably true nut files, sized to just plus of the string's diameter) to sculpt in the slot.
    It doesn't take much depth to accomplish the task - plus being minimal also lets you feather the ends of the slot back into the curve of the saddle, particularly as you get toward the apex of the barrel.
    Nice and smooth and gentle works best.
    Lather-rinse-repeat for each string.

This way you guide the string to stay put while not affecting the saddle height you've dialed in and such.
    I do this with all my 3-barrels (most are angle compensated).

DAKnox likes this.

6. Yamariv

Yamariv TDPRI Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have the same guitar as you and went with Brass Compensated saddles from Phili Luthier supply. I was surprised at how close to perfect I was able to get the intonation with these and I've never had a string slide on me..

DAKnox likes this.

7. macatt

macatt Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2007
    silverdale wa

8. macatt

macatt Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2007
    silverdale wa
    ^Yes^
    These are great.
    They are both slotted and compensated.
    They come in brass, steel and aluminum.

http://www.philadelphialuthiertools...d-telecaster-saddle-brass-5-16-offset-barrel/

S Mac

Yamariv likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.