Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

correct process to apply and polish tru-oil to get a High gloss?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by mangus, Feb 3, 2018.

1. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    I think the kitchen one, the ones with out soap, do come in grades, and could meet some needs like the ones you are referring to. I thought at one time someone had post what the equivalent of steel wool was compared to synthetic steel wool and some of the scotchbrite pads but I can't seem to find it.

2. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Try Mirka Mirlon finishing pads - I found them quite easily in the UK - unlike scotch pads - maybe they're easy to get hold of in Portugal?

3. mangus

mangus Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2016
    Portugal
    I can find scotchbrite pads but they're not the woodworking variety. Just the cleaning variety. My doubts resides in whether or not they're the same

4. DrASATele

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    I found this which maybe a combo of woodworking and cleaning pads:

7445 - White pad, called Light Duty Cleansing - (1000) 1200-1500 grit
    7448 - Light Grey, called Ultra Fine Hand - (600-800) 800 grit.
    6448 - Green (?), called Light Duty Hand Pad - (600) 600 grit
    7447 - Maroon pad, called General Purpose Hand - (320-400) 320 grit
    6444 - Brown pad, called Extra Duty Hand - (280-320) 240 grit
    7446 - Dark Grey pad, called Blending Pad (180-220) 150 grit
    7440 - Tan pad, called Heavy Duty Hand Pad - (120-150) 60(?)
    Green Scotch Brite is available EVERYWHERE is 600 grit.
    Blue Scotch-Brite is considered to be about 1000 grit.
    (The value inside the parentheses is directly from 3M.)

I know there was a more detailed one but the link to the site shows the site has been removed. I hope this helps.

5. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    They're cheap, why not just buy one and try it, see how it does on wood? Whether or not its the "same", you can judge if it removes wood in the manner you want, lasts as long as you'd like, etc. Maybe even do a side-by-side test with some samples of sandpaper and/or steel wool on some test boards, so you can correlate the look and hand feel of the pads to an equivalent sandpaper grit.

My experience has been that Scotchbrite pads don't cut as well, and in some cases, will burnish, rather than cut, so I don't use them very often. I use steel wool, very carefully if I'm around pickups or other magnetic devices.

6. mangus

mangus Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2016
    Portugal
    Question, I've applied the soak coat(1st) and removed the excess once there was some resistance. (My hand hurts so I must be on the right track). now I know I'm supposed to build thicknes but do I:
    1 - Have to remove the excess after each coat?
    or
    2 - Apply thin coats with a coffee filter and let the"film" build?

7. DrASATele

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Yes and yes.
    You'll end up with runs and puddles if you don't wipe excess.

mangus likes this.

8. Tomasi

Tomasi Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2016
    Finland
    At least for me considering I'm polishing the guitar, not painting or lacquering was the right frame of thought. Just a little bit at a time, then repeat, repeat, etc...

The exception was in the beginning on my swamp ash telemaster. I also filled the grain with tru oil by getting three thicker coats first and sanding carefully with using more tru oil as a lubricant. And then sanding carefully after every three or four coats. I used artist oil colors and silvery powder pigment mixed with tru oil, so naturally the pigments did some of the filling too.

This approach got it as glossy as I wanted. Yvette.jpg

Tommyd55, Rock-Ola, roffe and 2 others like this.

9. mangus

mangus Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2016
    Portugal
    Damn... That's one good looking guitar..

Haytheman likes this.

10. mangus

mangus Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2016
    Portugal
    And another yes to woolwiring softly with 0000 between coats?

11. DrASATele

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Because I build pickups too now, I'll say no but only because steel wool will screw up your pickups. I switched to 0000 synthetic steel wool, same great results, less chance of ruining my pickups.
    (the real answer is yes ;)

12. mangus

mangus Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2016
    Portugal
    It gets everywhere (steel wool) it's getting difficult to keep it away from the drying oil

13. mangus

mangus Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2016
    Portugal
    wet sanding, do you wrap sand paper around a soft pad, a wood pad or around your hand?

14. mangus

mangus Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2016
    Portugal
    when do I know I've spread enough coats and I'm ready to start the oilsanding(wet)?

15. Tomasi

Tomasi Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2016
    Finland
    Hmm, one could give the annoying and unfortunately correct answer that you eventually somehow just learn and know by instinct. But that's not too helpful.

To be honest I've never tried to get uncolored clear surface, I've always deliberately tried to enhance the grain with darker artists oil color blended in the tru oil, so sanding thru was not a problem. More of exactly what I wanted to get. Uncolored wood with darkened grain to color further on next steps. So after three or four colored coats I sanded with tru oil as a lubricant. And if it was not even after that, I repeated the process until it was. Then I moved to lighter colors and sanded (Sometimes with tru oil as a lubricant) VERY carefully after every three coats. And after it was very even I continued with just tru oil. This worked well at least for me.

I think that doing it this way is quite forgiving and one can get good results with multitude of approaches. I suspect there is not just one right way to do it. I had no finishing experience whatsoever before the guitar I posted the pic of on this thread and it turned ok. I did lots of mistakes, but was able to fix them as I proceeded. I think that in the end what really helped was the mentality of not trying to get it done as quickly as possible. More of the opposite. The longer I tinker with it the more quality time I get working with it for the money I invested.:)

I'm sure it's not the most efficient way of doing things and if I did guitar finishing for a living I would have to do it in completely different way to pay the bills.

Oh, and one thing. The coats do not blend together so you can't sand the final layer at all or you get witness lines. Even buffing can break the coat. So it has to be perfectly even before the final coat.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018

16. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2017
    Chattanooga
    I watch so many YouTube videos, my eyes bled. There is no right or wrong answer. I did discover you can look at the surface and see something isn’t right and you need to sand it again with 600 grit wet dry. This is my first guitar with tru oil. I’m happy with the result. About 8 coats overall.

IMG_1945.JPG

coonhollow greg likes this.

17. Tomasi

Tomasi Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2016
    Finland
    I use a flat cork pad in flat areas. With something uneven or soft it's probably pretty much impossible not to sand thru in unwanted way. Then on the edges just being very careful and patient is the key. A single stroke at a time.

18. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    See if this helps. Robert doesn’t take it to a high gloss finish, but the procedure for application and sanding is the same.

19. mangus

mangus Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2016
    Portugal
    mine is about ready. Monday I'm going to start the wet sanding with 1000, 1200, 1500 and 2000 and then tru-oil cut with naphta wait for 2 weeks to polish and Bob's someone's uncle

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.