Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Does anyone make tortillas?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ZackyDog, Mar 14, 2018.

1. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    And if so, do you use vegetable shortening or lard?

The lard-based recipes that I have tried, have produced only dry and brittle tortillas. Maybe it's not the lard, but the flour to water ratio? Authentic tortillas always call for lard, in lieu of shortening.

Thanks for reading.

2. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    I have a long time ago, I think I did follow some recipe I found somewhere. I think I did try it with a bit of baking soda at one time, and also without, but the main thing is I couldn't get corn flour to stick together unless I put quite a lot of wheat flour.

Flour to water ratio is like anything with flour, a recipe can give some indication, but you'll learn how much to put in from experience.

nojazzhere likes this.

3. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    I watched people try to do it in documentaries - lots of work and fine details

uriah1 likes this.

4. allen082

allen082 Friend of Leo's

Jul 16, 2009
    fort worth
    T-bone Ted and ZackyDog like this.

5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    I only make corn tortillas...masa, a very little bit of salt and some warm water.....simplicity and wonderful results.

6. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    I fresh hand made corn tortillas are a gift from heaven.
    If the tortillas are being made on the spot, then all I need is some rice and beans and I’m set.

dented, RomanS and Wally like this.

7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    My mom never used lard with flour breads, so we don't use it. It's just not needed. Some varieties do though. If you use a tractor disc as a comal, you might want to stick with lard.

8. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 21, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    Lard in tortillas???
    Masa harina, water, pinch of salt, and nothing else.

Martin R and bottlenecker like this.

9. RomanS

Jun 21, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    IMG_20180303_193544_026.jpg

(My homemade tortillera in the back...)

10. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    After eating freshly made tortillas, anything else just doesn’t make the grade, ime. The masa needs to be fresh. I use two separate cooking surfaces...cast iron griddles. The first is not quite as hot as the second surface. The tortilla spends about twenty seconds on that first surface before being transferred to the second, which is Hot! The tortilla is cooked on both sides on the second surface. Finest kind!!

boredguy6060, dkmw, WireLine and 2 others like this.

11. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Holic

Mar 23, 2003
    Midland TX
    Cast iron or steel griddles...don’t insult the tortilla by putting it anywhere near Teflon.

Lard is good for tortillas...too many tortillas though and the lard shifts to the consumer.

nojazzhere likes this.

12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Corn vs. flour. Discuss.

Badger06 likes this.

13. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    why-cant-we-have-both.jpg

Mr. Lumbergh, Tone Eee and nojazzhere like this.

14. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    Making me hungry!

I've made corn, but not flour. But if there was a tortillaria nearby, I'd just show up with my cloth to wrap up the warm torts and a stick of butter, and sit outside and feast. That's one of my favorite memories from time I spent in little towns in Mexico.

15. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    I'm sure yours taste good, but any Mexican tortilla that I have had in San Diego, CA USA or San Antonio, TX USA looked like this:

[​IMG]

Tone Eee likes this.

16. RomanS

Jun 21, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    Umm, those are flour, right? On the pic I just threw them on the griddle, so they are still pale - once they are done, of course they have the compulsory brown spots...

IMG_20180314_153428.jpg

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018

17. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Well, someone must make them or we wouldn't have them would we?

I just buy mine from the lady at the Farmers Market who also makes great salsa. But you DIY types, I wish you the best.

18. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Holic

Mar 23, 2003
    Midland TX
    Of course, if you want to get REALLY hard core...

Try Navajo Fry Bread... essentially deep fried corn tortillas with a bit more lard, some other seasoning, and a bit thicker...but as Leo Fender’s ghost as my witness, you haven’t properly eaten until you’ve had a Navajo Fry Bread taco.

ZackyDog likes this.

19. Tone Eee

Tone Eee Tele-Meister

Mar 9, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    For flour tortillas, most tortillerias use shortening or vegetable oil hereabouts (Tucson--essentially Sonora) and I haven't eaten any better, even in Mexico.

I can approximate the look and feel of the best but my texture is too tough. I suspect folks use a lower gluten flour than the AP I'm using.
    I hate shortening but it has its place

Paul in Colorado, rghill and ZackyDog like this.

20. Garruchal

Garruchal Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2013
    Seattle
    Masa Harina, salt, and water are the only ingredients I know of.
    Making tortillas with wheat flour instead usually calls for some oil. Lard works practically the same, but the result will be more of a no-yeast pizza crust than a soft-taco tortilla.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.