Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Family vacation humor.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Mar 13, 2018.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Last year's attempt at a classic road trip such as famous national park didn't happen. Still some baggage from cancer in the family but mostly all the conditionals from the kids and wife. Then there was recalling that never happening in my youth and if we did a trip my abusive father would yell "and we're gong to have fun dammit".

Well, I think it will work this summer. This time planning seems like fun for everyone. The kids have seen photos to know their mom lies about no camping in her life. It also occurred to me they have cousins in CO same age who also have drivers licenses. That idea has it seem a lot more interesting to all of them and allow some independence.

It's all smiles to see teens who want presidential suites and a mom econo without bedbugs. The mom wants mountain biking rides and the kids want concerts. I'm having fun pointing out places where cell phones won't work.

Still noting firmed up but smiles remembering my dad and the movies - we'll have fun dammit.

2. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    Send the kids to a concert, then you and your wife can have a nice evening to yourselves.

rich815 and Jakedog like this.

3. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    Getting my dad to go on a vacation was a rare thing indeed. But if you finally got him to let go of work for a few days it was about as much fun as anyone has ever had.

I hope you have fun !

imwjl and nojazzhere like this.

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Kids, and more and more adults, are just lost if there's no connectivity. That's the world they're accustomed to and frankly, I think a lot of them are disoriented and scared to stay someplace where the outside world can't reach you.

The trick would be, how to get them to disconnect for a few days - almost like going on Retreat. I don't mind posting 40,000 or whatever to TDPRI, when the connection is there but when I'm out of reach, I don't miss it for a second. So, how does one get young people to realize it could be a treat, and not a prison sentence, to spend big blocks of time with no mobile devices - none of that.

I wish you luck on this. We've had The Cabin since mid 2010 and people who like the idea of being away from it, come to see us but most of the nieces and nephews and their partners and friends keep wiggling out of obvious chances to come up there and even see the place. Are they afraid "the light will be extinguished" while they are tuned out. My suggestion is, I'm not going to be able to prevent the Advanced World from blowing up by being on line. If I'm at peace, at The Cabin when some jokers blow this world up, I think that would be the right place to be at the end. On the Porch, Armless rocking chair, with guitar in my hands.

elihu, televillian, imwjl and 2 others like this.

5. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's

Dec 29, 2006
    Potsdam, NY
    In the immortal words of John Candy, “Sorry, folks. Park’s closed. Moose out front shoulda told ya.”

bender66, rich815, Howdog and 2 others like this.

6. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2009
    Central Missouri
    I hope it works out for all of you. Nice to hear you all seem to have a pretty good attitude going in. I suspect there will be challenges but stories to remember as well.

My folks took a week off in August every year I can remember. Sometimes it was a road trip with a couple of stops. Mostly it was a cabin deep in the woods and far away from town. I now can appreciate their willingness to disconnect. For a little kid it was pretty boring though, as it was just the three of us.

Good Luck.

imwjl likes this.

7. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    rcole_sooner likes this.

8. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    We have friends who last year DROVE from Dallas to San Francisco and back in six days. Family of 5 and they stopped sometimes along the way and got a hotel and other times they just drove through the night at four of them were licenses drivers.

My wife and I looked at each other when we heard and said out loud, "no way!". My kids even said that was nuts but they seemed to enjoy it.

Kind of reminded me of Family Vacation in the old family truckster!

Harry Styron and imwjl like this.

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    My fondness memories as a kid were the annual family road trips. Make it memorable for the kids and have fun.

imwjl likes this.

10. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Tele-Meister

Apr 5, 2013
    Avon, IN
    It's European Vacation for us this year. For half the family at least. Kids are going to Mimi and Papaw's, and the wife and I are taking a 9 day tour of Italy.

imwjl and Nickadermis like this.

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Depends on the Family Chemistry. A few sorts of families could go from Savannah to SF and back in 13 days and be none the worse. Another kind of family would mean Insurrection once you had gotten to Wichita Falls or maybe Childress. Forget about SF, you wouldn't make it to New Mexico.

12. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    I grew up in a large family with a workaholic Father, but he insisted on taking the family road trip vacation every Summer for 2 weeks anyway. We never had a destination in mind, he would just pick a direction and we would drive for a week, then turn around and return. What sites we saw and things we experience was all decided on the fly. I don't think anything turned out any better than a Griswold vacation, but they did provide a lot of memories.

One of my favorites (or worst) was passing through Pennsylvania. We got caught in a really bad storm that flooded the tent and all our stuff, so Dad took us to find a laundrymat to dry out our clothing. We drove about 10 miles until Dad spotted a State Trooper to ask for directions. We rolled up in a van full of kids looking like drowned rats and asked for directions. The funny part was that there were actually 4 Troopers present and each of them were crouched behind their car doors with guns drawn onto the entrance of a liquor store. To their credit, they calmly indicated where the nearest location was then told us to get the hell out of there!!

We found the laundry-mat and threw our clothes in the driers...all of them, even the ones we were wearing. Mom handed out trash bags for everyone to wear except she ran out and I had to hide behind a large stuffed teddy bear. I was only 7, but it was still very embarassing to be naked behind a stuffed animal while people passed by.

The memories.....I hope you have fun.

P Thought and imwjl like this.

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

My kids are getting older so I think our previous family vacation to Japan may be our last. My younger daughter is going to Chile for a year, to learn Spanish and do her last year of high school. My older daughter is just not keen on family vacations in general -- she's been avoiding our summer camping trips for years -- doesn't like long drops! On the other hand, this means my wife and I can think about a holiday just for us, but to where?

14. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Meister

Feb 27, 2017
    Palmetto, Florida
    If your kids haven't been to Colorado yet, you really need to do it. There's nothing like the Rocky Mountains to make it clear to you what our place in this world is. Make sure to get them up to the treeline. When our girls were grade school age, we tent camped up in the mountains in north Georgia for 7 summers in a row, then things got complicated in highschool and we lost a couple of grandparents- tough years. Fast forward to college years and guess where they were ready to go? Back to their favorite childhood camping spot! Sometimes we need to get away from others in order to find ourselves. Hope it all works out for your family.

elihu, imwjl and Milspec like this.

15. OneHenry

OneHenry Tele-Meister

Apr 16, 2018
    North carolina
    My dad was a mechanic for an airlines and we could fly for free or about $25. No summer road trips except for three day weekends in the local area; Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, Wyoming.

We would sometimes do hybrid weekend road trips; drive a car one-way and fly back home. there was a company that matched up people who wanted their car driven someplace; dad would pick up the car in Denver, drive it to where it was going, and then we'd fly back to Denver.

Milspec likes this.

16. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Thx. The older child has been there with me visiting relatives and skiing. We will probably do less driving via special thanks to a cousin offering his vacation home.

17. idjster

idjster Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Ah, family vacations! Nope, not going there. Hope you have fun. I never did.

Bob M likes this.

18. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Holic

Aug 2, 2011
    Branson, Mo
    Branson is the perfect destination for Ned and Maude Flanders. Are you and your wife more sophisticated?

19. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Meister

Jul 23, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    We have an old camper ( small RV) so every vacation is a road trip. Before we had one we hired one, would be easy enough for the OP to do and head off to a National Park. Not the cheapest option admittedly.

20. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    We were in a remote part of the Greek mainland for a week, last week. We don't have kids but we did have a car for the duration of the holiday. As we weren't familiar with that part of the world, my wife isn't the most confident navigator and the road maps available aren't in the same league as the ones we use in the UK, we bought a really good SatNav.

Aside from some of the Anglicised versions of Greek town and village names not being recognised, it worked flawlessly. We did take our mobile phones with us as a back-up but we're of an age when we can just put the in the bag and ignore them - but some of the guys we saw whilst out and about seemed to spend their lives, vicariously, on the phone or internet surfing.

Generally speaking, I much prefer the analogue option over the digital - but there are times - such as avoiding getting lost and for emergencies where satellite / digital tech has adds genuine value and lets you just get on with enjoying stuff.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.