Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Deluxe Tweed 5E3 (this buzz is driving me crazy)!

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Picker7, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Picker7

Picker7 TDPRI Member

Sep 13, 2011
    USA
    i have a fender deluxe 5e3 tweed amp that has not a hiss, not a hum or a Shhhh sound, but a BUZZ whether the guitar is plugged in or not and whether the volume is on or not. when i turn up the volume for the instrument channel the buzz gets louder and becomes increasingly louder the more i increase the volume and with that volume knob turned up all the way the buzz changes to a high pitched screech. when i try the same thing on the mic channel there is no change in the buzz. when i play my guitar through the amp with the volume on and through either channel the strings sound distorted.
    before this happened i had just replaced all my tubes with brand new JJ's and it was playing beautifully.

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Are any electrical appliances on in the same room? TV, computer monitor, fan with speed control?

If it buzzes with amp volume down but guitar plugged in, that's interesting.

3. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    Edit: I read through that too fast. Yeah, I'd roll the old tubes through and see if you can find the offending one.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018

4. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2015
    Maldon, England
    Put the old tubes back in and see if the buzz goes away. If it does replace them one at a time till it comes back. If it doesn't go away, take the amp to a Tec, as something has come loose.

5. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    If it;s only really effecting (or effected by) the Instrument channel. And, the only thing that has changed is the tubes. Then, I would say that tube in V1 is your problem.... Especially if the only thing that's changed is the tubes.

Like @clintj says, roll some tubes. Grab the old tubes and replace them, one at a time, until you find the problem.

6. Picker7

Picker7 TDPRI Member

Sep 13, 2011
    USA
    I no longer have the old tubes.

7. D'tar

D'tar Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    WNY
    Can you swap V1 and V2 and observe any difference... Volume interaction, etc. Hopefully it's just a preamp tube. Is this a new amp, old amp, clone?

8. Picker7

Picker7 TDPRI Member

Sep 13, 2011
    USA
    i tried that and no change. It’s an old vintage, not a reissue.

9. Picker7

Picker7 TDPRI Member

Sep 13, 2011
    USA
    No appliances, tv, etc.

10. D'tar

D'tar Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    WNY

11. Picker7

Picker7 TDPRI Member

Sep 13, 2011
    USA
    It was given to me 6 or 7 years ago and I have never had it serviced. It's always played great. I'm confident that the person who gave it to me did not ever have it serviced either and beyond that I don't know if it has ever been serviced. I've considered having it worked on by a professional and might end up doing that eventually once I can save up a few bucks. Would like to be able to fix it myself if possible. Sounds so beautiful when its working.

12. Picker7

Picker7 TDPRI Member

Sep 13, 2011
    USA
    Ok, I took the back panel off so I could take a look inside. All the tubes looked good. Everything else looked good. Nothing suspicious. pecked around on things with a pencil. I accidentally pecked on the speaker jack and the buzzing stopped. Plugged in my guitar. Turned on the volume but no sound at all. I unplugged speaker jack and plugged it back in and buzz was back and I could hear the guitar but the sound was distorted. I repeated that several times and got the same results. The jack and the connection looks fine. I don’t see anything loose.
    I need to be clear that the buzz is there whether the guitar is plugged in or not. The buzz increases in volume when volume knob is increased.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018

13. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    Ok, you're kind of worrying me at this point. The sound cutting out when the speaker jack is touched is potentially dangerous to the amp, and could well lead to losing the output transformer if it loses its connection to the speaker load when running. I'd set that aside and have a pro look at it. It may have been just a tube, or something else may have become an issue around the same time the tubes were swapped out. Tubes wouldn't affect the speaker connection, though.

Oh, and the graphite core of a pencil is electrically conductive BTW. Not a safe tool to be probing around in 350V with.

h4ck.b0x7 likes this.

14. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    IMHO, that doesnt sound like a fault that would be very hard to diagnose but it doesnt sound like you have the tools to do so.

After 7 years on a free! tweed amp, I would say that you are WAY ahead - and it's time to take it to a tech for maintenance.

reverb11, Mr Ridesglide and Wally like this.

15. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    ^ I agree have it seviced Have you tried another speaker ?

Wally likes this.

16. D'tar

D'tar Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    WNY
    I agree. You have a valuable amp there and it would be a shame to accidentally cause damage to irreplaceable components...(OT)... But... Not before you post a bunch of pictures!

FWIW... This is how I started working on amplifiers. Necessity is the mother of invention.... and knowledge.IMHO. If you do try and fix it yourself, put it aside until you have the new skill set and knowledge to do it safe and proper!

Wally likes this.

17. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I'd be less worried about frying the amp than frying yourself poking around in an amp with no knowledge of how to do so safely. They store lethal charges. Never work on one plugged in, unless you REALLY know what you are doing. Even when unplugged, they still store and can deliver lethal charges, unless you know how to discharge safely before working on. No offense (because the same applies to me) but it seems like you don't know what you are doing and thus should stay out of the amp.

18. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Tech time.....imho, a full tech evaluation is long overdue.

mgreene likes this.

19. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2003
    Cochise, AZ
    There are two speaker jacks in the back of the amp. The main one has a ground attached to the switch tap. If you use the extension one that grouns is still in place and will cause the sound to be greatly diminished. With the amp off, see if the switched jack is disengaging when you plug the speaker plug in. It might be intermittently connecting.

20. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Yes, please take this to a tech. There's time to save money, and there's time to spend money. This is time to spend for a good tech. That amp is way too valuable to be fooling around with, given those symptoms. It's been living on borrowed time as it is.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.