Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

fender TEXAS highway one tele owner's lounge.

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by vanguard, Jan 14, 2009.

1. vanguard

vanguard Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2007
    Charleston, SC
    fender's best kept secret. this guitar easily holds its own against both my NOS nocaster and my 67 tele. all vintage specs save a nice flat radius. 7 lbs. even. i love it. i've heard many say it's got the best neck of any tele out the factory since the 60's.

i don't know how many folks have them in here, but they deserve their own thread.

my texas has been through some mods, but it always has THAT sound. it has this low end twang i have yet to find on another guitar.

brand new!:
    [​IMG]

esquired:
    [​IMG]

blackguard-ed:
    [​IMG]

and now:[​IMG]
    mint guard, stelly neck pickup, nocaster 10k bridge pickup, glendale knobs.

as you can see, this one's seen hell and highwater with me on the road.

hooray for the texas highway one!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
    Ripradiant likes this.

2. Redsetter

Redsetter TDPRI Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Ireland
    have to agree with you about Fenders best kept secret.

Attached Files:

3. Pikey

Pikey Banned

Jan 9, 2009
    Virginia Beach
    I had one of those for a while, sorry I sold. The bridge pickup is incredible. I changed the neck pickup to a SD hot tele Rhythm, and the saddles to Joe Barden compensated saddles. Black pickguard, and then it was awesome!

4. newrider1969

newrider1969 Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2005
    st david il
    I'll play. Mine is a 2003 that I bought brand new. I love it. It lead me to be a tdpri junkie as well!

[​IMG]

5. H.O.T.T. guy

H.O.T.T. guy TDPRI Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Michigan
    Here's mine: It's an '08 and I love it just as it is. I had a MIM standard and this one blows it away. Even unplugged there's a noticable resonance that the MIM didn't have; maybe it's due to the nitro body or something.
    Speaking of bodies, mine is a three piece, as noticable on the bottom edge, but the grain is so well matched that you can't tell by looking at the front or the back.

Attached Files:

6. stu_collins

stu_collins TDPRI Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Isle Of Wight, UK
    more!!! lol these guitars are so gorgeous. Has anyone got the honey blonde with a blackguard?

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

They'd be more popular, if they weren't so scarce.

I suspect they get snapped up real fast, at least the better 85 percent of them. They cost only about $ 80 more than a regular Highway One, at least officially, and that IMO is a total joke.

Yeah, I don't have one. I bought the regular H1s when they close them out from time to time, $ 388. I would be totally shocked if you ever saw an H1 Texas Tele sell for anywhere near that little. For those who aren't addicted to the No-Caster neck profile, IMO the Texas Tele is all that.

8. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    I have one also. I can't understand why they aren't more popular. I know when they originally came out they were $200 more than the regular HWY 1. But now for only $90 more than the regular HWY you can't beat it. IMHO the best neck Fender puts out.

9. mcleeder

mcleeder TDPRI Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Portland, OR
    How was it as an Esquire? I've been thinking of giving mine that treatment.

10. tele12

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    What is that cool looking amp in the background?

11. stu_collins

stu_collins TDPRI Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Isle Of Wight, UK
    im seriously considering one since playing my friends, i have a baja and i thought THAT had a sweet neck. This thing was like the perfect fit!

12. SMPTE

SMPTE Tele-Afflicted

Aug 21, 2006
    Minneeeesoooottta
    I got to take mine to Texas once :)

[​IMG]

13. vanguard

vanguard Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2007
    Charleston, SC
    it was sweet, if you like esquires. after playing it that way for a year, i came to the conclusion an esquire is just a tele with less options. the no tone position only added slight ice-pick, and after discovering strat-style neck pickups, i would never go back to an esquire.

14. highwayman

highwayman Former Member

Dec 24, 2008
    ny
    Heres my 08 Texas HW1 w/glendale saddles and Seymour duncan Broadcaster PUP in the bridge and 52 ri Pickguard.My main gigging guitar

Attached Files:

15. dagger4

dagger4 Tele-Meister

Here we go, again

My main guitar.
    '52 mod, and a light poly clearcoat.
    Swamp (or very light) ash body (stock).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. newrider1969

Feb 11, 2005
    st david il
    Well it is unbranded but I am certain it is a Sound Projects Co. amp. They were out of Chicago and made Lectrolab brand amps. 6v6 5y3 and 2 6sj7 tubes into a 10 inch speaker. I have seen a lot of Sound Project Co. amps but have yet to find another like it. The cabinet is wood instead of the usual cardboard that most of these amps are made of. There is 1 pic of it in my photo gallery. Lets see some more Hwy 1 Tx tele pics!

17. newrider1969

Feb 11, 2005
    st david il
    No more Hwy 1 Texas tele pics out there?

18. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

May 8, 2008
    portland, or
    sounds a great platform for modding, but if it was such a great guitar, why does it need new pick-ups, saddles, electronics mods and a new pickguard !!!:lol:

19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I like a guitar that can be played stock, modified, switched back and the results all "work" nicely, just differently.

The WORST feeling is to buy a guitar you MUST change a key item on, in other words without the mod the guitar is trash. So you make the changes, and it sounds like bleah. WTF? Now, what are you supposed to do?

20. tele12

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    Because it has the absolute best neck Fender puts on a guitar!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.