Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

fender TEXAS highway one tele owner's lounge.

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by vanguard, Jan 14, 2009.

1. HappyHwy1owner

HappyHwy1owner Tele-Meister

Feb 7, 2011
    Independence, Mo
    Well, Rick in Wisconsin is a new Hwy One Texas owner!

2. Henry Wilbury

Henry Wilbury NEW MEMBER!

Jun 7, 2015
    Sydney
    "hot vintage" pickups

My name is Henry and I am a telecaster tone tragic ("Hi Henry!"). I thought I might be in good company here. Over the years I have grown to love the tone of the "hot vintage" pickups in my Hwy One Texas and wish to install same in a "regular" Hwy One I also have. Please tell me if this item is still made by Fender, and if so what they call it? I understand from reading this thread that it is not the custom shop texas tele pickups.

3. wmsimpson

wmsimpson Tele-Holic

Sep 29, 2009
    USA
    Hi Henry! I purchased a Hot Vintage bridge pickup from Angela Instruments LLC last December:

"Fender Tele Pickup, Hwy 1 Texas Tele Bridge Pickup 0063082000, qty 1 $54.99"

Fear not. It's the real deal, and I should know... I've owned 3 HW1TTs over the years.

Hope this helps! :)

4. Henry Wilbury

Henry Wilbury NEW MEMBER!

Jun 7, 2015
    Sydney
    Thank you Bill, that sounds like the one. Unfortunately Angela Instruments appear currently out of stock on the bridge pu, although they have the neck pu. I'm not having any luck finding alternative sources by googling the part number.

If anyone has a pair lying around in their garage please let me know. Happily swap it for what is in there now - DiMarzio Twang Kings. Well regarded pickups, if it is your cup of tea - but I have become obsessed with installing the "hot vintage" in there. You know how it is...

5. FatKnife

FatKnife TDPRI Member

May 9, 2009
    Nashville TN
    I'm checking out an '04 Highway 1 Texas Tele in honey blond. What's a fair price for this?

6. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    When new they were only $100 less than an American Standard.
    Prices are rising ,they are unique in Fenders line up.

I would consider anything under $750 a great price. $850 fair. Perfect condition could even be worth more.

7. FatKnife

FatKnife TDPRI Member

May 9, 2009
    Nashville TN
    Wow, they really have established a collector's niche. Thanks for your help.

8. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2011
    Long Island
    I just picked up my second two-tone HW1TT I must confess, the seller didn't know the difference between a Texas and a regular Hwy1, his asking price was on the high side of regular Hwy1's ($600) So after emailing the serial number to FMIC and getting confirmation that it was, in fact, a Texas Tele, I made the one hour each way drive to Brooklyn (I'm in Huntington, for those keeping score) and snatched that baby up. I will try to post pictures as soon as I upload them.
    Ultimately, I would like to trade one of them for a Honey blonde but I know that's a really long shot.

Steve_U1S likes this.

9. Steve_U1S

Steve_U1S Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    Awesome score - I feel lucky to have found someone who chose to part with their two-tone some while back.
    I think it's a stunning looking finish.
    I am just in the process of 'horse-trading' my way into an amazingly near-mint second honey blonde in all stock condition. Pretty much dumb luck/amazing timing that it's available to me.
    They're just too nice and unique, and workable for me, to pass up, that's for sure.
    There's significant 'magic' in the first one I got, a honey blonde with some wear'n'tear (doesn't take much on those finishes mind you).
    Second one (two-tone) took some fidgeting to bring out the magic in it; seem to have arrived there.
    Now in the process of collecting 'me-izing' parts for this 3rd possible acquisition.

10. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2011
    Long Island

11. Steve_U1S

Apr 23, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    Wow, that's a heck of a find. The honey blonde I'm talking about is barely used, but unfortunately came from a smoker's home (still airing it out), the awful gig bag it was in (a ratty Gibson one, now replaced with a new Fender one) put a bit of dark stain into the finish at the back butt end.
    I've rough set it up and it's a heck of a nice player - great neck.

You're looking to swap for a honey blonde? I wish we were neighbours =]

12. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2011
    Long Island
    What's your ZIP code? I'll get a couple of quotes. Who knows?

13. Steve_U1S

Apr 23, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    My being in Canada might be a deterrent =]
    I'll PM you.

14. Steve_U1S

Apr 23, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    Not sure if anything has come of this...

I took official possession of the honey blonde TT as of yesterday (Tuesday)... which means I'm on a countdown to starting to do mods to this otherwise factory stock instrument.
    That'll include reaming the low-E tuner hole for a Keith banjo D-tuner - which arrived in the mail today.
    Bardens on order...
    Bakelite pickguard already waiting (hung on the wall in its package literally for months, awaiting something like this) - yup, I really like the blackguard look.

I guess this stands in as my 'NGD' post regarding this, my Texas Tele #3.
    Cheers.

(edit; thought for some reason it was Monday - but it was just the day prior to this post / Tuesday)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016

15. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2011
    Long Island
    Does anyone know if there's any difference between the regular Hwy 1 HONEYBLONDE body and the Texas Hwy1 Honyblonde body? I know the Texas should be Ash, how about the regular one? isn't it ash as well? how can I find out? I have a honeyblonde body I bought a few years ago and I have two two-tone Texas Hwy1's I was wondering if I can just replace one of them with it.

16. Ixxi

Ixxi NEW MEMBER!

Oct 11, 2016
    vermont

17. tr3bstacular

tr3bstacular NEW MEMBER!

Apr 20, 2017
    Manila, Philippines
    here's my Rosa. got her second-hand from a local guy who got it from the original owner who happened to be a sessionist musician for a local tv station but had already migrated to Canada. some rust on the saddle springs and the bridge plate but i think they're cool.

first thing i did was put on ernie ball straplocks on her then i plan on getting her refretted with jescar jumbo stainless steels. everything else, i'm keeping stock!

Attached Files:

Steve_U1S likes this.

18. Oldgitplayer

Oldgitplayer Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2009
    Brit in Australia
    I had a regular Highway 1 for a couple of years and then sold it. I always reached for my Am Std tele as i couldn't make friends with the huge frets on the Highway 1.

19. Steve_U1S

Apr 23, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    That's a beauty.
    I'm especially fond of my 2-tone Texas - I have 2 blondes as well.
    And that refret - awesome.
    I refret two of mine; one with Dunlop 6100, one with Dunlop 6000.
    I'm a big fan of giant frets as well.

Congrats on that find.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.