Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

fender TEXAS highway one tele owner's lounge.

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by vanguard, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Gouchi

Gouchi TDPRI Member

Jun 23, 2017
    Sutton Quebec Canada
    I'm looking to buy a TT. Can any of you point me to one for sale?

Many thanks,

Reg

Contact me please if you know of one or if you have one for sale at: rgauthier@coldbrook.ca

2. Steve_U1S

Steve_U1S Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Toronto, Canada

... I don't know of one.
    What I thought I'd point out is that these don't seem to pop of very often; I think the people who have them 'know what they have' and tend to hang on to them.
    That's certainly my stance.
    I'm basically on a constant 'checking for Texas Teles' vigilance routine myself.

Good luck though; something should eventually crop up - sometimes with hang tags still on.
    Or someone who doesn't really value the 'Texas' differences... that's how I got my first basically...
    "It's OK, I've got another Highway One Tele..." That other one is a 'standard' HWY 1... the Texas one he took off of hold so that I could purchase it is what I wound up with... that was crazy luck for sure...

Gouchi likes this.

3. Gouchi

Gouchi TDPRI Member

Jun 23, 2017
    Sutton Quebec Canada
    I just found a 2003 sunburst TT. Funny enough I had to buy it from a guitar shop overseas.

:)

4. juke box jonny

juke box jonny TDPRI Member

Nov 24, 2016
    s.w.uk
    I bought mine last year I didn't know they existed but I wandered by this in a window and thought that looks cool lets go look ....and I took it home.. replaced the 3 ply 8 hole guard with a single ply 5 hole 2017-09-30 21.41.16.jpg

Gouchi and Steve_U1S like this.

5. HWY1Strat

HWY1Strat TDPRI Member

Sep 23, 2011
    franklin park,n.j.
    I just got my hands on an absolutely mint Texas Tele!
    I am so psyched!!!

IMG_6331.JPG IMG_6332.JPG

6. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Looks gorgeous congratulations.

7. HappyHwy1owner

HappyHwy1owner Tele-Meister

Feb 7, 2011
    Independence, Mo
    Nice find-it's getting harder to find them in that shape!

8. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Holic

Sep 20, 2011
    Sacramento
    Congrats! My band mate use to have one just like that. It was one of the nicest, lightest Telecaster's I have ever played.

9. TheRoman

TheRoman TDPRI Member

Oct 16, 2017
    washington DC
    Ok so I just found a blonde lovingly worn TT on the GC used site. In the $500's. Listed as just a Hwy one. Best. Guitar. Ever. and I have a few...so I started looking around realizing the Texi (?) may be listed as just a Hwy one. Then--Boom! A few days later I found a sunburst TT listed as a Hwy one. Same price. Had to throw another guitar overboard...but I bought it and it arrives Friday. Can you understand my addiction???

HappyHwy1owner and rebelwoclue like this.

10. Steve_U1S

Apr 23, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    Texi - I like that.
    Those are interesting finds - I'll keep that in mind.
    With that said; did you grab the blonde as well, or straight for the 2-tone?
    I have 2 blondes and a 2-tone; I think that the 2-tone finish on these is just stunningly beautiful. It's so smoky... I feel so fortunate to have managed to snag one, and I'm watching for others.

11. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

Feb 11, 2004
    Don't own one but wanted to try one when they came out and now on a search to find one. With Fender making so many different teles, whats the best way to identify one and tell if it has swapped parts,ie neck or body? Thanks

12. TheRoman

TheRoman TDPRI Member

Oct 16, 2017
    washington DC
    What are the differences in the Texas Tele pick ups from 2004 models and those found in 2008 models? 2004 has white string around pu and 2008 has black. Both sound great...but slightly different. (granted the 2008 could have had the PU's swapped...I don't know. I bought it used.)

Within a week I found two Texas Teles used at prices that I just could not turn down. Both needed a little TLC. One previous owner did an absolutely terrible job installing some crappy tuners. I retrofitted some Vintage Klusons. Anyway, the PU's seem different. Anyone know the specs over the years?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018

13. TheRoman

TheRoman TDPRI Member

Oct 16, 2017
    washington DC
    I now have both. They are a bit different...but I can't tell what I like better. PU's seem slightly different. Do you know if Fender changed them over the course of the production?

14. Steve_U1S

Apr 23, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    In truth I don't know - from what I recall when I was looking things up, it seemed as though they'd always been described as 'Vintage Hot' pickups...
    I'll instantly admit to having done what I'd call incomplete research.
    I suppose that's because I was largely focused on the details of the body and neck specs of the various years.
    I have '03, '07 and '09 models.
    The necks on all three seem just a little different, with the '09 outright feeling wider at the nut.
    For whatever reason, the '07 seems to have the most 'magic' profile out of the 3 (though I have immense fondness for all of them).
    I think it's just a little touch thinner through than the '03.
    But I believe that the finish on that '03, which is my 2-tone, is just stunning; a proportion of banding which really appeals to my idea of an 'ideal' 2-tone sunburst.

15. roundhouse

roundhouse TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2018
    CT
    Hey guys, I also just scored a sweet 2004 Texas Tele. This is my first post here but this thread was a great source of info so thanks to everyone.

Left is my Standard in Inca silver. I’ll be changing out the pearloid on the Texas. Btw, where did you guys get your black Bakelites from?

Steve_U1S, interesting that you noted the neck and nut size differences. I was going to ask about the nut width(s). I was surprised that mine felt noticeably smaller than my standard.

FF6C7EE1-200C-4B1A-BF66-C99D51CE3C8B.jpeg 95971691-93E6-498E-AFF9-6D7B759B2ECF.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Steve_U1S likes this.

16. Steve_U1S

Apr 23, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    That's a lovely 2-tone.
    Congrats - what year is it?

17. roundhouse

roundhouse TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2018
    CT
    Thanks! It's a 2004 .The grain has some subtle depth to it that changes, almost disappears at different angles. I didn't notice it right away but pretty cool. It's pretty light too, I think, at least compared to my standard which is a bit of a tank.

Steve_U1S likes this.

18. roundhouse

roundhouse TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2018
    CT

19. vgallagher

vgallagher TDPRI Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Knoxville, TN
    New to the club. Got this today 2008. Sweet playing guitar. Think I’m going to like the 12” rad neck. IMG_0009.JPG IMG_0010.JPG

Steve_U1S, TheRoman and scooteraz like this.

20. TheRoman

TheRoman TDPRI Member

Oct 16, 2017
    washington DC
    Beautiful I'm obsessed the the HWY1TT's.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.