Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

fender TEXAS highway one tele owner's lounge.

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by vanguard, Jan 14, 2009.

1. wmsimpson

wmsimpson Tele-Holic

Sep 29, 2009
    USA
    73Fender, as far as I know, the only change in specs to this model during the years it was produced was the Grease Bucket circuit added in 2005.

2. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

Feb 28, 2010
    Jersey Shore
    Thanks Bill, I like me some grease bucket. Good to know the 2006 will have it.
    From what I can tell, even if I don't ultimately bond with it, they are rare and easy to unload.

3. wmsimpson

wmsimpson Tele-Holic

Sep 29, 2009
    USA
    True, they're fairly easy to sell... At least that's been my experience. Be sure and post your impressions if you end up nabbing one! :)

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

4. Grizmit

Grizmit TDPRI Member

Aug 26, 2012
    The Right Coast, USA
    73 fender, IMO, and as Bill has pointed out previously, the weight on the Texas tele is really the only issue to be wary of. I love mine ('04 2T burst), but it is nearly 10lbs which is really just too heavy if you plan to gig hrs on end with it. I use mine for specific songs and home recording, but it is not my main guitar. Still, it is really a great player and sounds so sweet. Chunky neck is just right to me. Just be aware that they used the cheaper (heavier) ash to keep the price so reasonable. Based on my googles, the blondies might be the lighter of the bunch, but it seems to vary. Bring a scale and good luck!

5. Trés Mellow

Trés Mellow TDPRI Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Corning, NY
    My '04 blonde TT weighs in a little over 7lbs.

6. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted

May 4, 2007
    Cleveland, Ohio
    My 2003 Highway 1 Texas Telecaster, back from the guitar tech with Don Mare 0038 pickups. Aside from a Thinline, it's the lightest Tele I've ever played and it has a great mixture of traditional and modern features. It's a great guitar.

[​IMG]

7. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan NEW MEMBER!

Nov 22, 2013
    USA
    EDIT: Nevermind--got my answer in this thread!

8. Steve_U1S

Steve_U1S Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    Joined this club in early November. Just found the club listing here.
    It's used but in decent condition, with some fret wear but pretty much great all around.

Earlier in the month I put in DiMarzio Area Hot T bridge and Area T neck pickups, a fun custom wiring scheme using a narrow 5-way superswitch, no load tone control, a set of heavier-knurl knobs.
    Then I put a set of angle-compensated saddles onto the existing plate (but am also awaiting the arrival of a Barden bridge with angle-compensated saddles, same as what I put onto my Nashville).
    This evening, I finished doing some 'repair' work, personalizing, etc. including;
    -Fret level and crown (didn't lose much height at all, and came out excellent!)
    -Nut super-minor fine-tuning re-cut to go with above
    -Changed to black 'guard (classic looking this way too)
    -5 Locking tuners (Gotoh SD91 HAPM direct-fit ones, though I'll eventually swap in a set of their SDS510 HAPM which are essentially the same, but have their 'Rock Solid' post construction which makes for an even more solid tuner - I detailed putting a set of those onto my Deluxe Nashville a while back on another forum area.)
    -6th (low-E) tuner is now a banjo D-Tuner. It's a Schaller; I'll replace with a Keith one ASAP.
    -finally did a real set-up on it now that I did all the heavy work above.
    -Added DiMarzio cotton Cliplock strap

Now gig-ready =]

Before-and-after pictures

Attached Files:

9. Steve_U1S

Apr 23, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    I'd also like to add; I didn't go on my focused Tele hunt until a few months ago... and now I know, I really missed the boat on these Highway One Texas Teles.
    They're basically ideal for me; they sport hardware style and features which are very very traditional, but have the more modern neck specs... ash... thin finish...
    String retainer is in the right spot =]
    'Correct' logo - ridiculous, I know, but I SO prefer this classic version.
    5-screw 'guards right off the bat...

Yes, they're almost like hen's teeth to come by... I was just incredibly lucky to obtain this one; I'd discussed my 'laundry list' of idea features at my local dealer; the very knowledgeable chap listened, and said "you want a Highway One Texas Tele" - he couldn't be more right.
    Now, I have to somehow wind up with a 2-tone 'burst; I LOVE the 2TB, and the specimens I've seen in photographs look just beautiful.
    One came up for sale in the classifieds not too long back; unfortunately, the seller wasn't willing to send north of the border into Canada...
    I'm happy to have this blonde specimen; I couldn't put it down earlier tonight as I test-drove the results of my fix-up/personalization... and it's so classy and classic looking...

Cheers.

10. Bifid Nebula

Bifid Nebula NEW MEMBER!

Mar 12, 2014
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Anaconda Style

How'bout a TxTle without a white or black pkgrd?

Attached Files:

• TxTL.jpg
      TxTL.jpg
      File size:
      26.2 KB
      Views:

11. Steve_U1S

Apr 23, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    That's a nice combo for sure.

12. Gorquin

Gorquin Tele-Meister

Feb 2, 2013
    Texas

13. Steve_U1S

Apr 23, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    Woo-hoo!
    Acquired a decent condition 2-tone 'burst Texas Tele yesterday via a private sale - has a set of CS Nocasters in it, so that's nice that I get to try those out before changing them out to my preferences (I might sell them off here or locally while I'm at it).

Love that smoky burst... looks so lovely.
    It's a marvellous companion to my blonde version.
    (I'll get a couple of pics of the pair and post something soon)

14. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Tele-Meister

Jan 22, 2004
    Lake Orion, MI
    Min4es the one of the left. Great guitar but I'm going to sell it off to pay for the one on the right.

[​IMG]

15. Steve_U1S

Apr 23, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    Here's my second one just acquired. It's a 2003.

Attached Files:

16. HOTT-2007

HOTT-2007 TDPRI Member

Aug 9, 2012
    Red Wing, MN.
    Here's a pic of mine ... Its a 2007 & I love it. I've changed the white pickguard to a tortoise shell one, and will get a Black, and a cream colored pearl pickguard soon, so I can switch when I want to. The neck feels excellent, and it sounds great. The frets are a little tall IMHO, but its not a problem. All in all, Texas Teles are one of Fenders best I think.

Attached Files:

17. davidcrickett

davidcrickett NEW MEMBER!

Aug 30, 2014
    Copenhagen
    Fender Tele Tex highway 1

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My nice, new Tele ;)

You better get a closer look. :D

[​IMG]

18. HappyHwy1owner

HappyHwy1owner Tele-Meister

Feb 7, 2011
    Independence, Mo
    I'm up to 3 of these bad boys now, and thinking maybe of selling one. Any interest in a 2007 2TSB with less than an hour of play time on it?

19. Steve_U1S

Apr 23, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    Dependent upon price and willingness to ship north of the border, perhaps...
    Feel free to PM me with details.

20. HappyHwy1owner

HappyHwy1owner Tele-Meister

Feb 7, 2011
    Independence, Mo
    Will take some pics and get with you tonight!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.