Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fish Sauce

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Phrygian77, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Deeve

Deeve Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 7, 2009
    Ballard
    Isolated tracks aren't always pleasing on their own, but blended right, make a tasty band mix.
    Same thing w/ the fish sauce - on its own - not so pleasing.
    Mixed w/ tendon, onions and other goodies - OMG, so good.
    :rolleyes:
    Like reverb, it can be overdone - so take it easy 'til you find the right mix!
    Peace - Deeve

unfamous likes this.

2. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    I regularly use fish sauce in Asian dishes. It goes well with Thai especially. Fish sauce, sugar, lime juice, and chilli are a great mix.

HoodieMcFoodie likes this.

3. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 17, 2006
    Back at the Beach
    I'm allergic to the powder on cilantro leaves. Pho that.

4. tdoty

tdoty Tele-Meister

Oct 17, 2011
    Opelika, AL
    I use fish sauce in/on almost everything!

Splash some on a steak and let it marinate for at least 10 minutes before cooking.

Need to jazz up frozen corn? Frozen Brussels sprouts? Butter and fish sauce!

Fresh Brussels sprouts? Slice them in half, sear them on the cut side, add sliced mushrooms, diced onion, bacon (precooked and crumbled), salt, pepper, garlic, and a splash of fish sauce. Toss well and roast in a 400 oven for about 35 minutes. My girls won't eat them any other way!

Need some extra oomph for your marinara sauce? Fish sauce! About the only thing currently in use that's similar to Roman-era garam.....or so I've read. It's easier to use fish sauce than ONE anchovy....the fish sauce is resealable, once the can of anchovies is open....... A tube of anchovy paste might be handy, but I use a lot of fish sauce.

Shrimp scampi? Fish sauce! Heck, just shrimp, butter, garlic, oregano, and fish sauce over linguine makes for a killer side dish.

Most of my recipes don't require more than a splash of Squid Brand fish sauce. I've never overdone it on steaks though....they seem to self-regulate.

I will admit, I threw out the first bottle I ever bought......one whiff and it was gone. Manned up not long after and now it's a staple item in the pantry!

BB and dr_tom like this.

5. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 22, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area
    It smells like concentrated fish and fish bones. Which it is. It’s sublime.

6. dr_tom

dr_tom Tele-Meister

Sep 21, 2013
    Ontario
    I find the Vietnamese versions of fish sauce are the best.

7. jaybones

jaybones Tele-Afflicted

I'd describe it as a whore house at low tide...

Oh, definitely don't do that!!

When I saw a documentary on how the ancients used to make it, I was thoroughly disgusted.

But then again if it would make you sick they would have stopped using it. Couple billion people can't be wrong.

rickthescot likes this.

8. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    This reminds me of those hot pepper threads where guys are flopping out their Scovilles to measure. :D

I'm naturally opposed to eating something someone tells me I shouldn't ask how is made or that I have to "man up" to eat.:lol:

Toto'sDad likes this.

9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I like "fish and chips" all other fishy type things need not apply, my stomach can't hear you Mr. Fishy thing.

10. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Meister

May 14, 2011
    South Louisiana
    I love Asian food, but not so much the fish sauce. I can handle I non small amounts, but usually ask for it to be left out. Pho can easily be prepared without the stinky stuff.

11. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    I did a presentation on Fish Sauce in a culinary school once. Reactions were mixed.

There's a number of different types, and some are friendlier to the noobs. A little goes a long way.

12. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Friend of Leo's

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    Fish Sauce isn't exclusively an asian thing. In fact it's origins are very European.

Check out "Garum" which was prevalent in Rome, Pompei, Greece... etc. It was considered so valuable that it was even used as currency. The high end stuff was stored and shipped in Amphoras and made it's way to emperors palaces. There are historical records that suggest that Garum was so addictive that the Romans even added them to sweets and deserts.

Does anyone here like "salted caramel ice-cream?" I wonder what fish-sauce and ice-cream would taste like? :eek::confused:

13. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Quite an image, but... Usually anchovies are fermented in barrels, then squeezed in a press, and separated.

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-fish-...ce-maker-in-sa-chau-vietnam-maker-tour-203405

BTW: I use Red Boat. It's as close as I can get to the real deal in a bottle.

Tele1966 likes this.

14. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Garum was not only savory, but it was salty. Back in Roman times it was very hard to get hold of salt. Now we take it for granted.

My Mom is Filipino, raised in the Philippines. So I grew up with fish sauce. The brand that everyone uses is Pufina, and the name for it
    in Tagalog is patis, pronounced paht-EES. When I am looking to add saltiness to something, I'm aware of salt, soy sauce,
    and fish sauce as potential options depending on what final flavor profile I'm looking for. And like any good Filipino I'm also very aware
    of acid (all types of vinegar, citrus) and spiciness (chili sauce) factors.

I agree that Worcestershire sauce is kind of a tame cousin. Anchovy paste is another cousin. All three can really add flavor to a lot of sauces,
    broths, even salad dressings, but the right proportions are everything. Fish sauce pretty much keeps forever, but the one thing you do NOT
    want to do is drop and break a bottle in your house. My Mom puts fish sauce or vinegar on almost everything....Filipinos like sour and
    salty things, I guess.

[​IMG]

Rustbucket and BB like this.

15. chris m.

And Filipinos eat some really, really gnarly stuff. Bagoong is just the tip of the iceberg.

BB likes this.

16. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2003
    ohio
    Whenever I stirfry shrimp, I marinate them first in rice wine with a bit of fish sauce. YUM!
    Has anyone tried the UV Vodka with sriracha? Very good!

17. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Friend of Leo's

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    In the UK, New Zealand and Australia we have Marmite and Vegemite (don't call them similar or a trans-tasman war would break out) which is made of fermented yeast of some sort. It's a thick salty dark brown paste (like tar, we call it axle grease in NZ), and we spread it on toast and add it to soups. It'll be the burly twin cousins of Worcestershire sauce, but definitely tamer than the Umami giants like Garum, Fish Sauce, and yeah I suppose Bagoong. MSG is a derivative from fish sauce too.

Which inevitably brings us around to Ketchup...

"The word ketchup is derived from the Chinese ke-tsiap, a pickled fish sauce. It made its way to Malaysia where it became kechap and ketjap in Indonesia.

Seventeenth century English sailors first discovered the delights of this Chinese condiment and brought it west. Ketchup was first mentioned in print around 1690.

The Chinese version is actually more akin to a or Worcestershire sauce. It gradually went through various changes, particularly with the addition of tomatoes in the 1700s. By the nineteenth century, ketchup was also known as tomato soy.

Early tomato versions were much thinner with a consistency more like a soy or Worcestershire sauce.

F. & J. Heinz Company began selling tomato ketchup in 1876. By the end of the nineteenth century, was the primary type of ketchup in the United States, and the descriptor of tomato was gradually dropped." - theSpruce.com

It just hit me... what else do we eat that started off as fish sauce?!?!

Nightclub Dwight likes this.

18. chris m.

Another ubiquitous condiment in the Phils is "banana ketchup". Apparently it's ketchup, but made from bananas instead of tomatoes. They dye it red to look like
    tomato ketchup, however. Because of the Spanish influence, Philippine cuisine actually uses tomatoes a fair bit.

[​IMG]

TwangyWhammy likes this.

19. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Holic

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    I'd have been fine with the fish sauce smelling fishy, concentrated fishy even. But, it doesn't smell at all like that. Nope, it's a putrid rotten smell, worse than old flips flops or a wet dog.

dented likes this.

20. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Like Tele1966, I use this stuff. It’s made from anchovies, and is far from being fishy or obnoxious:

1F62C45D-5F29-4FE0-9843-4A84F7275B43.jpeg

Believe it or not, I use it in a pork recipe that also calls for coconut milk. And I’ll throw a few drops in certain canned soups I eat.

It’s a very subtle flavor that depending on the recipe, hardly even tastes like “fish.”

Tele1966 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.