Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fish Sauce

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Phrygian77, Feb 11, 2018.

1. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Meister

Apr 29, 2016
    Finger Lakes of NYS
    Then... there's natto.

2. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I want to start experimenting with different types of fried wontons, and an egg roll dipping sauce works for that. So do you use rice wine vinegar? Is that what they call it?

Also, according to the label, I don't think Red Boat has a long refrigeration life after opening. Now, where I buy it it's fairly expensive, so I'm not running out every month to buy a new bottle when my old bottle is 90% full.

I gotta assume that their recommendations on this have to do with the quality diminishing, but do you think it's a HEALTH issue?

Tele1966 likes this.

3. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Never had fish sauce go "bad". I don't refrigerate mine either. Lasts years.

For vinegar, either get palm vinegar or distilled white vinegar for SE asian food.

Ira7 likes this.

4. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

Jul 30, 2014
    US
    [Q
    I think the fried spring roll sauce I posted would be too light/delicate for a wonton sauce. Wonton sauce (which I've never made) seems to be heartier/saltier/more flavors going on than the lighter slightly sweet fried spring roll dipping sauce.

I keep the cheaper Lucky Brand fish sauce in the cupboard. It develops chunks of salt on the bottom. Over the years sometimes after about a year or two if there is a large amount of those salt deposits rattling around I toss it just because I suppose there would be less salt in the fish sauce. I keep the Red Boat in the fridge as an experiment.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018

5. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Friend of Leo's

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    As far as I know, you don't need to refrigerate fish-sauce. Salt was used as a preservative during the ancient times prior to refrigeration and humanity had to find out a way to preserve food. That was the whole reason why stuff like this came about.

There might be a point where an old bottle may taste different from a new bottle of FS. I found an old opened bottle at the back of the cupboard that got misplaced and forgotten. When I say opened, the cap was screwed-back on. Must've been there for 2 years at least. Best FS ever! In fact I was quite disappointed when it got used up, because a new FS bottle of the same brand wasn't as nice.

As for white vinegar, see if your local asian store has "Cane Vinegar." You know it's good and natural because it's milky white (not like the "clear" supermarket-variety so called white vinegar that was probably made in some type of chemistry lab). You'll never use anything else once you've tried this. As a dipping condiment, it doesn't cut your tongue like acid. It's sour but in a good way. As a marinade for pork-chops, OMG! Add crack pepper and crushed garlic with it and soak the pork-chops overnight in the fridge. Fry or BBQ-grille the next day and be prepared to get blown away.

I'm stopping right now... getting hungry...

Tele1966 likes this.

6. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    The Red Boat says to refrigerate.

Anyway, now I'm aggravated:

I'm getting hungry too and want to plan something for Friday. But I lost my damn bookmark to my pork recipe. Don't remember the site either.

It used pork picnic or butt which you cut into chunks, coconut cream, shallots, fish sauce, and God knows what else. It's braised.

This is going to drive me crazy now.

Tele1966 likes this.

7. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    You guys in Australia know a lot about this stuff because you're so close to those regions. As a general rule, here in the states, we're pretty clueless.

8. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

Jul 30, 2014
    US
    One of these maybe?

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/7389-pork-or-chicken-stewed-in-coconut-milk

https://www.recipetineats.com/vietnamese-caramel-pork/

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/vietnamese-braised-pork-in-coconut-98452

9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Do you know that it CONTAINS NO ACTUAL SQUID?! :mad::mad::mad:

[​IMG]

10. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

Blue Buffalo dog food doesn't contain any blue buffalo either.

Nightclub Dwight and Phrygian77 like this.

11. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    One or two of those is damn close! Thanks!

I think I was thinking coconut CREAM because I make grilled mussels in coconut cream, lemongrass and chile, and that uses the cream. And THAT link I still have!

Thanks again. I'm good to go now.

Tele1966 likes this.

12. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

Ducks, innit?

13. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    We must all make great wives for our spouses.

I just know that MY wife doesn't cook or take an interest in it like I do.

I wonder if it's related to our interest in music, the creative aspect of it.

Nightclub Dwight likes this.

14. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I know, they've responded to my angry letters.

Nightclub Dwight likes this.

15. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Sounds like something Spanky would have said.
    Awwwww....fish sauce!

16. TwangyWhammy

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    Possibly... but not just the creative aspect, I can imagine.

Timing is also vital in music, and has a lot to do with just an OK dish and a really good dish. Perhaps as musicians we've trained ourselves to know exactly when to add something in, and when not to, and by how much.

I'm curious, do you measure when you cook?

My wife is really good at baking where the ingredients are consistent and everything is done by set recipes. Whereas I don't seem to measure anything (which is why I suck at baking).

In cooking, the ingredients vary - meat can be less fatty this time around so I sense to add a bit more oil. Fresh chillis vary in hotness, so sometime more, sometimes less for the same effect... etc. What I can smell along the way, changes what I do. I can sense when a dish is going wrong and most of the time I can fix it along the way. Sometimes my wife will call me for help, when whatever she's cooking has somehow reached an uncanny flavour. I just seem to know what to do, to bring it back on course.

But I make a big mess in the kitchen... does not impress the wife...

Nightclub Dwight and Phrygian77 like this.

17. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Missoula, Montana
    my new favorite dipping-sauce ingredient is Chinese black vinegar (Chenkiang vinegar). Great flavor, almost like the rice-vinegar equivalent of balsamic.

18. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    You guys are still banging on this thread? Never would have thought I'd generate so many responses.

Me too, man, me too.

TwangyWhammy likes this.

19. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Oh, I only measure certain ingredients when following a recipe the first time, but never worry about getting exact. Also never measure stuff I make all the time.

That’s why my wife is a lousy cook (she admits it), but a great baker.

She tries to precisely measure, which is good for one but horrible for the other.

TwangyWhammy likes this.

20. TwangyWhammy

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    Don't flatter yourself...

I'm just trying my best to get to 2000 posts... :lol: :D

Tele1966, Ira7 and william tele like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.