Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Gibson ES Club. All ES models.

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by keithb7, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Roadhse2

Roadhse2 TDPRI Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Missouri
    Early 1960 Es345

Recently traded for...love it...original stoptail

Attached Files:

2. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Meister

Apr 12, 2011
    Stoney Creek, Ontario
    Gibson ES137 Custom

A couple of years ago, I sold my '96 Howard Roberts Fusion. Didn't really bond with it and I thought I'd use the cash to fund some other GAS. After a while I missed that semi-hollow sound and bought me an Epi Dot. I was fully satisfied with it until I saw someone selling this dead mint ES137 Custom a few months ago. I got lucky and picked it up for $1200 CAN. It is a sweet sounding, gorgeous guitar. Compared to my Howard Roberts, the action and playability is superb.

Attached Files:

3. gavvybiggs

gavvybiggs TDPRI Member

Jan 13, 2014
    England
    Just ordered an ES-330 VOS in Sunburst...... 20 mins ago... !!!! I'm very very excited.

Now i just have to sell some stuff to pay for it!

4. Tidepoolbay

Tidepoolbay Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2009
    Franklin New Jersey
    There is one in there somewhere

100_1503 a.jpg

5. gavvybiggs

gavvybiggs TDPRI Member

Jan 13, 2014
    England
    My new ES-330 VOS Sunburst arrived yesterday! Pics to follow once i figure that out!

Love it but i'm a bit confused at trying to

A: Work out the serial number (guitar dater project thingy does not recognise it)
    B: It came in a brown case with charcoal interior, I've seen others on youtube come in black case with a pink interior and with a black 'shroud'?!

Cheers

6. christhebrit

christhebrit Tele-Holic

Mar 12, 2013
    Kent
    Placed an order yesterday for an es339
    Used but in brand new collection. A bloke brought it, it sat in a case and he traded it in, which is odd.
    Got the 59 neck.

I've read that most people put heavier strings on these. I use 10-46 on my teles. Is it worth trying 11s or 12s?

Attached Files:

7. albertaboy

albertaboy TDPRI Member

Nov 24, 2013
    Calgary
    I play 9s and 10s on my strat and tele and have gone to 11s on my Epi Sheraton II. I feel like it gives me more dynamic range with different picking approaches. But the guitar tech who I had do the set up thought I was nuts.

8. gavvybiggs

gavvybiggs TDPRI Member

Jan 13, 2014
    England
    Great pics of a sweet looking axe! Congrats.

9. Fernandomania

Fernandomania Tele-Afflicted

Dec 28, 2012
    Sunny SoCal

10. jdaunt

jdaunt Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2011
    Flint
    I'm in! Picked up an Epi ES-339 P90 Pro yesterday in Pelham Blue, traded my project Epi LP Jr for it. Love it so far. Would post more pics, but i've found the pictures really don't do it justice.

image-319537873.jpg

11. red57strat

red57strat Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Oct 4, 2003
    Massachusetts
    '59 ES-225TD.
    [​IMG]

tfaux likes this.

12. yangounet

yangounet Friend of Leo's

Jan 29, 2011
    Lyon france
    I'm in guys !

[​IMG]

CS ES 339

just surprised by the serial number (looks not carved but printed) I didnt expect that for a custom shop. But sounds really great!

13. duceditor

duceditor Tele-Meister

Jan 5, 2011
    Monadnocks NH
    Yup! Es style guitars. You gotta love them!

I've got two. The older of these is a 1980 ES-Artist. Before me it had been owned by an instructor at Berklee School of Music. He's switched out the odd Moog active electronics for a more typical, but extremely well thought out, wiring set up. Duncan PUPS, phase and coil tapping. She is a total sweetheart that I'd had custom setup for myself shortly after I got her in about 1999. As good a neck as any guitar from any period I've ever played. And such a range of sounds!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My 2nd "ES" style guitar is much newer, but in another sense much "older." It is an Ibanez Artcore ASR-70 that I purchased new about three years ago with one purpose in mind: Getting the sound of the guitar I used on the Abstracts' now classic song "Always Always" way back in 1964.

That instrument was a Gibson ES125TCD. A full hollow body (thin) with P90s. Few guitars today sound quite like it. The ASR-70 gets very, very close. Especially once I installed a Bigsby B3.

[​IMG]

In truth the ASR-70 is a much better guitar than that old ES-125 ever was. Better neck, better fingerboard, better feel throughout. (But the same great P90 sound!) And to my own surprise I find myself using it for all sort of music, from surf to old blues and primitive rock.

Here are a couple of examples...

-don

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015

14. yangounet

Jan 29, 2011
    Lyon france
    gorgeous guitars duc!

15. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2014
    The tan house in AZ
    '58 ES 125 3/4

Attached Files:

16. duceditor

duceditor Tele-Meister

Jan 5, 2011
    Monadnocks NH
    Wow! That's precious! Have you had it since it was new?

-don

17. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2014
    The tan house in AZ
    I've had it since 1972.

18. Gibsongrrl

Gibsongrrl TDPRI Member

Nov 15, 2014
    USA

19. Gibsongrrl

Gibsongrrl TDPRI Member

Nov 15, 2014
    USA
    2005 ES-137, #1 in my arsenal. :)

[​IMG]

20. yangounet

Jan 29, 2011
    Lyon france
    I love this colour!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.