Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Gibson J45 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by mnutz, Nov 21, 2012.

1. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

It looks like lots of us on TDPRI are J45 owners, but I don't see a club anywhere yet.

I'll start us out...
    Here is my 2003 J45. I have removed the undersaddle pickup, installed a bone saddle, bone bridge pins, and bone end pin plug. It is without a doubt the best sounding acoustic guitar I have ever played. It has that dry woody tone in spades. Thumpy on the bass strings, but still has lots of sizzle on the high end. Sounds fantastic both fingerpicked and strummed hard.

[​IMG]

BadMojo likes this.

2. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2005
    North Texas
    Here's mine...a '63 model I've had for a good long while now. Was in kinda rough shape when i got her. Originally this was one of the plastic bridge models (not the best idea the folks at Gibson have ever come up with), but my luthier converted it to a traditional glued rosewood bridge (he also repaired several holes, fixed a couple of loose braces and cracks in the back as well). Kind of a pick your poison proposition; leave it original and an inferior guitar or alter a vintage instrument to improve it. I chose the improvement (the plastic bridge models aren't that sought after anyway). That was close to 10 years ago & she's still solid as a rock. Klusons are original & still work fine. Great sounding guitar; definitely sounds like a J45 should now.

Attached Files:

3. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

Awesome guitar! Looks like it has lots of character! I would have done the same with the bridge, I bet it's a blast to play!

4. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2005
    North Texas
    Thanks. I wish it was the dark sunburst like yours (that's my favorite Gibby finish, at least acoustic wise) but I guess you can't have everything... :)

5. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

C'mon everybody! Post up those J45 pics!

6. WCK85

WCK85 Tele-Meister

Apr 26, 2010
    Minnesota

7. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

Chase, that is a great looking J45! Sounds great too!

8. WCK85

WCK85 Tele-Meister

Apr 26, 2010
    Minnesota
    Thank you! My amateur recording doesn't do it justice though. ;)

9. zooropamofo

zooropamofo Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2006
    Long Valley-Birches
    My pride and joy, with vintage style white button tuners. The dry woody lo-fi thump that only a Gibson can deliver!

Attached Files:

10. Humbuster

Humbuster Tele-Meister

Aug 11, 2009
    en route.
    Picked up a few months ago

2013 Limited Edition with Red Spruce top.
    A killer guitar.

[​IMG]

11. PegCity

PegCity NEW MEMBER!

Dec 2, 2014
    Winnipeg
    Hello
    just purchased a 2012 and wondering what everyone is using for strings?

12. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 15, 2012
    Central PA
    D'Addario Phosphor Bronze for my J-45...EJ16s usually, sometimes EXP16s if I don't have gigs lined up.

Her name is Neko...mmmm

Attached Files:

13. Gearhead88

Gearhead88 Tele-Holic

Dec 24, 2012
    Alberta
    Here's mine , a 2014 built J-45 Northern. 65 of them were built as limited edition models for Long & McQuade , a music store chain in Canada.
    Adirondack red spruce top , Indian rosewood back & sides , L. R. Baggs Element active system VTC electronics , vintage 30's sunburst finish.
    This guitar , hands down , is the sweetest sounding , nicest playing acoustic guitar I have ever laid my hands on .

[​IMG]

14. Satch

Satch Tele-Meister

Feb 25, 2011
    Heartland USA
    Wow! Lovely guitar there Gearhead88. I've always been a huge fan of those circa 1933 small sunbursts and yours has got the look. A thing of beauty!

15. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    OK, count me in !!

need to bump up this thread here as i bet there are way more owners after two years

16. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    I'm in fellas. Bought mine brand spanking new from NOLA Guitar center this past August. It is my favorite acoustic guitar.

MrMarr likes this.

17. MrMarr

MrMarr TDPRI Member

Oct 11, 2017
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm in.. sorry, I should've whiped it down before getting the pic but.. is what it is and in reality it looks like this all the time... beautiful acoustic! 2016 Gibson J45

[​IMG]

18. El_Diablo

El_Diablo Tele-Meister

Jan 14, 2014
    Brisbane
    54 years (27 with me), a couple of new bridges, a few fixed cracks, some new frets, a whole bunch of miles, and countless songs. She shows plenty of wear, but sounds and plays better than ever. IMG_2516.JPG

19. Telefunked

Telefunked TDPRI Member

Feb 6, 2017
    Ontario,Canada
    The best acoustic guitar ever created in my opinion...love the j45
    I took off the Grover’s and added some tonepro’s butterscotch tulip tuners, took out the lr baggs and added a nice fire stripe pickgaurd, she’s my baby
    3B0EC0BB-3AAB-45D6-820B-124D39BB8AD4.jpeg

20. delta tone

delta tone TDPRI Member

Nov 17, 2006
    MS
    Always been a Martin guy. Been fortunate to play several of those. Finally got a J45 a couple weeks ago after looking at them for several years. UNREAL. I love it it's a perfect blend of bass and highs. Very responsive. Extremely pleased.

RyCo1983 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.