Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Gigging exclusively with 1960ies vintage style gear

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Twang Deluxe, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Meister

Dec 6, 2015
    Kehl
    Hello,

I'm playing mainly music from the 1960ies with my band and I like the style of vintage amps, pedals and guitars.

I'm wondering, who of you is playing exclusively 1960ies style vintage gear (Original and Reissues).

So no modern style Guitars, Amps, Pedaltuners, ODs....

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    There's a Beatles tribute band that's played in this area for over 15 years that claim everything they use is correct vintage....guitars, amps, drums, etc. haven't seen them in a long time...don't remember if they use (non-vintage) effects or whatever. Don't recall them using vintage PA.
    Also, I heard many years ago that Tom Petty and Heartbreakers' backline of Vox Beatles were fake....different guts inside.

Twang Deluxe likes this.

3. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2016
    California
    Sounds like putting yourself at a needless disadvantage. No pedal tuner? Gonna bust out the trust old tuning fork?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    KyAnne, T-bone Ted, Mjark and 6 others like this.

4. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jul 2, 2015
    PNW USA
    I still have my pitch pipe from the '70s. :D

Only other vintage gear is a '70s EH PolyPhase, on the pedalboard. I have a c.1969/'70 Harmony electric but don't use it in the Sixties band. Wouldn't mind having more 1960s guitars!

KyAnne, nojazzhere and Twang Deluxe like this.

5. blille

blille Tele-Holic

I used to have a pedalboard with just vintage pedals, mostly late 70s. What a pain. Noisy, no LEDs, one died on me live.. I replaced it all for reissues. Very happy now. IMHO going for vintage only feels a bit silly. Making an effort to look and sound the part sounds good though.

nojazzhere and Twang Deluxe like this.

6. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Can you be a little more specific? Beatles? Country & Western? Blues? Rock?

Music from the sixties could be Buck Owens, Jimi Hendrix, Wes Montgomery, or Creedence, or BB King.

If you're going for a certain look, I could see getting a reissue guitar and a reissue amp... but depending on what ground you're wanting to cover, and how much, you may need to recreate something done in a studio, or you may need more than one guitar, etc.

T-bone Ted likes this.

7. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2003
    ohio
    For my Blues gigs, I use all Fifties stuff. For my Country gigs it's all the latest.

8. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Meister

Dec 6, 2015
    Kehl

We play Songs from The Kinks, Rolling Stones, Animals, Dylan and Clapton

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018

9. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2009
    innsmouth, MA
    can you only be photographed with a film camera?

Fiesta Red and T-bone Ted like this.

10. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Tele-Holic

Aug 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I did it for a 70's band I put together in 2004-2006 and it was a blast! Everything we had was of the era aside for a few reissues (R8 Les Paul). We had 8 Marshall Superleads with a cab for each, and 4 Orange OR-120's with a cab for each. 3 SVT's and a Vistalite kit. All of my pedals were original from the 70's aside from a few reissues. The only new stuff was guitar cables, batteries and a mic.

Nobody would waste their time doing something so "dumb" on the cover band circuit but our shows were totally off the hook and people had a great time. And we sounded like we were from the era because of all the attention to details. Of course we only used a stack for each of us (singer and I both played guitar) but the rest were there and turned on for backup.

Sometimes going the extra 1000 miles for this stuff pays off. I enjoyed it to the fullest and we never had any gear problems that couldn't be taken care of in a snap. Amp dead? Plug into the one that's on next to it!

I highly recommend it! I also recommend you find a group of guys that like carrying heavy gear. :lol:

Twang Deluxe, CWP0126 and drlucky like this.

11. Garruchal

Garruchal Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2013
    Seattle
    Various bands I've played with have more-or-less done this; most notably, I played in a vintage Jazz group which used an old Stimer amp and a 20's style carbon microphone. My main band uses equipment that either is from around 1970 or could be from then. My main amp now is a Princeton Reverb. Our gear works fine up to a point, but has more hiss, hum, balance issues, and need for repair than I prefer. When I work in theaters, which is most of the time, I can't afford to use old gear; we need to be dead quiet and have pristine tone. In practice, this means noiseless pickups, digital pedalboard, a monitor rather than an amp, and shielded everything. As much as I would like to use my old tweed amp for a Spaghetti Western show I'll be playing soon, I might have it on stage as a prop only.

Twang Deluxe likes this.

12. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    I use 3 amps from the '60s-A '66 Ampeg Jet; '65 Ampeg Reverberocket and a '65 Tremolux. I have no vintage pedals. I add Reverb and EQ only to the Jet. Reverb to the Tremolux. Guitars are a Tele, '52 Gibson es 125 and an assortment of reissues. I've used the '60s amps over the last 4 or 5 years with no issues. I had them all gone over by a tech when I bought them, re-tubed as necessary and they have been dependable and sound consistently great. I gig only a few times a month, so nothing is getting punished.

Twang Deluxe likes this.

13. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 22, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area
    One word: backups

T-bone Ted and Twang Deluxe like this.

14. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    By The Levee
    My band used to share a gig with a surf band led by a guitarist who exclusively used '60s Fender equipment, and lent basses and bass amps to the band's bassist. Outboard reverbs into Tremolux heads and 2x10 cabs, outboard reverbs Tolex matched the amps. Guitars were Jaguars or Jazzmasters strung with flatwound strings and with custom color finishes - Fiesta Red or White. At the gig the bass guitars matched the guitar finishes and the Bassman amps' Tolex matched the Tremoluxes.

He did all the work on the guitars himself and refinishing too. He was obsessed with Surf Guitar perfection in looks and sound and he nailed it.

Twang Deluxe likes this.

15. jhundt

jhundt Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    that's just about all I ever did play on.

Jimmy Owen likes this.

16. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    I'd <gasp> buy stuff to do this gig.

Re-issued things, even have the guts replaced if required.

Depending on volume of drummer and venue, etc, I might have to have a pedal or two hidden behind the amp. Like a compressor barely on, but running all the time, or something like that.

Twang Deluxe likes this.

17. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    I think using all old stuff like the OP described is fairly common. I use a mix of old and new. Don’t quite understand why using a modern tuner would be a problem though. That’s kinda weird.

18. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 19, 2011
    United Kingdom
    We take out a Hammond & leslie, they're pretty old.

My amps are all from the early/mid 70s, I play my 60s mustang but it needs new frets, plus the switches are stiff and temperamental.

My (few) pedals are all modern. The vast majority of old stomps are overpriced, cheaply built, unreliable. Only collectors (anti-music bores) and studio nerds should be messing around with vintage pedals.

Twang Deluxe likes this.

19. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    I can't hold back: 1960s or Sixties or '60s. Not 1960ies. :)

thegeezer, Mjark, nojazzhere and 2 others like this.

20. FerruleCat

FerruleCat Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

May 2, 2017
    Tulsa, OK
    I bang a rock that by most accounts is several million years old.

T-bone Ted and Jimmy Owen like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.