Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Gigging exclusively with 1960ies vintage style gear

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Twang Deluxe, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Jimmy Owen

Jimmy Owen Tele-Meister

Apr 2, 2017
    Moravian Falls, NC
    I’ve ditched all pedals except for a full tone dejavibe. I do use spring reverb.

The only gear I’m using now is vintage, but it wasn’t when I bought it. It became “vintage.” I grew old.

I think Rich185’s advice is good. When I was a kid, I carried back up fuses. Now, there’s another amp in the van.

thegeezer and nojazzhere like this.

2. drf64

drf64 Friend of Leo's

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI

If Kelnet were a mod, we would all have red-inked comments and grades on our posts.

3. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Hey, hey. I rarely do this, but it was just so in my face... :D

Mjark and drf64 like this.

4. drf64

drf64 Friend of Leo's

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI

I give a pass where English is not the mother tongue. If I went on a Deutsch site the best I could muster would be "Mein Hut, der hat drei ecken..."

Twang Deluxe likes this.

5. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    I didn't realize he was from elsewhere. In that case, it's actually my duty to help point out those subtle differences in our language. :)

Mjark likes this.

6. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
    My cables are new. Otherwise all actual old amps/guitars or copies thereof. I've had tons of modern stuff too, and have crates of pedals but in the past 5 years haven't used any of it just out of personal preference.

If you need a pitch in a pinch, I google "A440" on my phone. The lowest note I can sing is usually an F#, though sometimes an F, sometimes a G.

Twang Deluxe likes this.

7. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I do it with Blues gigs.
    I do use a pedal tuner, though...
    22256594_10214603665589260_1038369463421174086_o.jpg

Twang Deluxe likes this.

8. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Yes, except for the tuner. Being able to tune silently and quickly is really valuable. Most of the gigs I've played have been with a 60s guitar plugged straight into a 60s combo, or a 60s head and cabinet. I used to do them without a tuner, but it was terrible.

9. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I can tune without a tuner and did it for years.
    Having keyboards in the band makes it easier.
    But it's so nice to tune silently.
    I remember seeing concerts where we had to listen to a lot of pling pling...

10. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Jul 5, 2010
    West Michigan
    I gig with my '54 Deluxe. It's been properly serviced and has worked flawlessly for at least 2000 hours (I think a better measure than years or gigs). It's all I use. Guitars...admittedly, most of the time I use a modern Tele that's BSB with a blackguard (so most can't tell) but when the mood strikes, my '62 Gretsch or '70 Les Paul handles an evening just fine.

See that the stuff is properly set up and serviced and go play. No worries and nothing better.

11. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    No Longer Here
    So, the question is, who’s playing an electric guitar through analog pedals into a tube amp?

I’m guessing that’s most of us.

Maybe I don’t understand he question...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.