Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Good alternative/complement to Fender amps?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Flat6Driver, Mar 13, 2018.

1. DOC DYA

DOC DYA Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2012
    Luçon _ France
    Go Orange. I have been playing a Blues jr for years (mine is a US made) and bought an Orange Crush 35 RT (Oh... yes Solid state !!!;):cool::p) that I love (as much as my Blues Jr, but different). You can even ABY them to have the best of both worlds...

asnarski and jvin248 like this.

2. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    are you referring to owning just ONE amp or a few totally different amps ?

3. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I'm not sure I understand the question.

If it helps, I have two Roland JC40s, because I have two bands that need an amp and lugging one from home each time sucks.

I also have a JC77 that I share between them for outdoor shows.

But it basically sounds and responds the same as the JC40s, just with more output.

So I have more than one physical amp, but basically only one circuit (that I understand how to use really, really well) if that makes sense.

T Prior likes this.

4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

MI Audio Crunchbox pedal (or the Joyo clone) or a Marshall Gov'nor pedal.
    Orange Crush 35RT amp
    Peavey Bandit amp, but it gets loud to do it...

5. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    To compliment a Fender amp, with the famous tone stacks, you can get close but probably not the exactly same.

The Fender amps have a nice DEEP low end response with a very bright hi end. This is pretty common across all the Fender tube amp platforms.

I have used and still own PV Classic 30's, Delta Blues, Carvin Vintage 50's and even Marshall 900's, all good amps, but they do not respond across the EQ spectrum like the Fender amps do. Most lack a similar low end response to the Fender platform. The Fender amps, we back off the low end, others, we have to ADD to the low end while sometimes the MAX knob setting is just right.

This may or may not be important to many players but it is "real". It may be a consideration.

6. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs

That guy was a hoot. I remember when I got started in the 1990's my buddy had a 15w Bandit practice amp. It had a similar "raw" sound that I couldn't get with my little Crate practice amp. Good times.

I might have to check out those pedals first.

Hard to describe what I'm after, but that's close. Essentially, I finally figured out how to get that nice bluesy sound out of my existing amps. A sound that I consider to have a nice "round" tone. (Which makes no sense on a print forum). I want a little more "flat" sound like that guy has in the video.

But I like the idea of messing around with some pedals first.

There so much I can spend my money on....can't buy me skillz though.

asnarski likes this.

7. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    FWIW, the design goal of the Rat pedal was to make Fenders sound like Marshalls. There's a whole segment of the pedal industry dedicated to this idea now.

8. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    new Marshall DSL40CR ..has literally changed my music...back to my roots....the rawk..is there in spades !!! I have a Fender 68 CDR and the 2 amps give me the best of both worlds..but the Marshall is the ...mid punch...rawk amp i was looking for

9. Flat6Driver

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs
    Got one of these in the mail ad tried it out last night for a few minutes before band rehearsal. Holy wow, it's LOUD and RAWK. The volume on the pedal is waaaay down and it's loud through the amp. Tried it on a song we do that needed a little more 'oomph". It was cool, I need to listen back to the recordings. For $35, it was worth it.

10. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Jun 27, 2005
    Montclair, NJ
    Almost anything from David Allen.

11. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Since you are in the "DC Burbs" you might want to take a trip over to Wheaton to "Chucks" and head for the back corner, where the funky stuff is, Talk to the guys there, who are usually pretty helpful maybe try out try out a Marshall 18 watt, a Supro, ( last time I was in they even had a few of the Zinky era boxes NOS), might even be a NOS Ampeg there (they have a deep inventory) it will give you a idea of what other amps feel like, in addition to sound like, and is just a neat way to spend a few hours. What you have is cool, but as your playing progresses and changes you some times find that you need to step out of the mainstream.

12. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    New York
    My favorite all time tone combination with a Fender Twin is a Mesa Boogie Mk1 . Back in 1973 I saw Santana use the Twin(s) mostly for rhythm and the Boogie 1x12 for solos. This is a personal tone preference, but that set the bar for for me for live tones. I heard him again later, same venue, same room acoustics, when he went with another amp / guitar direction and it fell short, IMHO. Too distorted when it didn't need to be. Dynamics up and down the neck never changed.
    Garcia got a great tone out of his too, but set up differently..still very nice to listen to live.
    Preaching to the choirs; It all depends on what you like :)

Paul in Colorado likes this.

13. Flat6Driver

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs

One day I will figure that out, but for now, this little $35 pedal is scratching the itch. Got lots of oomph with it. My goodness the volume knob is super sensitive, though. I have it set around 8pm, a little more and it's 2x as loud. Still need more time with it, but the new sounds give me other ideas to work with.

14. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I used to use a Deluxe Reverb with a Vox AC-15 splitting the signal with a Roland Space Echo. That was a great guitar sound!

15. Paul in Colorado

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Something I've been fooling around with is a two amp rig with a pan pedal so it's not either/or, it's a blend using two different amps, in my case a Rivera S120-210 for the cleans and a Mesa MK I RI for the overdriven stuff. Too much to gig with for the most part, but I like playing with it.

Jim Dep likes this.

16. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    New York
    Oooooh....I like that idea ! I didn't know that pan pedals existed, but that opens the door to some great blending of tones. I'll be looking into that.

17. Paul in Colorado

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Mine is an old Ibanez VL-10 that will work as a stereo volume pedal or pan pedal, but I think Electro Harmonix and Ernie Ball both make them.

Jim Dep likes this.

18. Arafel

Arafel Tele-Meister

Oct 19, 2011
    Denver
    the Swart Atomic Space Jr and Atomic Space Tone can't be beat. Very versatile amps.

19. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2014
    Bucks Co. PA
    Looking through these posts and I have to say that Blackstar and Traynor would be my picks.
    Mesa is kind of pricey ... good stuff though.
    There are also a number of Peavey offerings that might just be what you are looking for.
    The amp that I am using these gays as an alternative to the Blues Jr is the Peavey Classic 30.

Compliments and alternatives are a tricky thing. All of these appliances can sound different in different hands.

20. lamarco

lamarco NEW MEMBER!

Jan 8, 2017
    Czech republic
    Old Marshalls, old Fenders or Vox till middle 70’...or recently maybe Tworock..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.