Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Guitars for specific jobs?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by kuvash, Feb 13, 2018.

1. kuvash

kuvash Tele-Afflicted

Feb 13, 2010
    Upper California
    Do you have one guitar for everything or a guitar or guitars that are used for specific jobs like song writing
    for instance or guitar pulls or picking parties as we call them up here in the sticks?

2. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    Telecaster for general purposes. Jackson if I know I'm going to be playing metal. Stratocaster to mix it up occasionally.

Also, most practicing, writing and singing along around the house is my acoustics's job.

Sollipsist likes this.

3. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2016
    California
    Ehhh... Mine kind of rotate around. Especially as my two bands use different tunings and styles. Of the 5 guitars I have, 2 are usually tuned differently and 3 are standard. Though 90% of song writing takes place on one guitar (Les Paul junior). It just seems to inspire the most. Though I'll switch their roles pretty regularly for practice/shows, especially the telecaster will bounce back and forth.

Minimalist518 likes this.

4. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    Yes. I have three telecasters. One at concert pitch, one in D, one in G for Rolling stones songs. A strat for lots of other styles, mainly Dire Straits, a Taylor for a booming acoustic sound and an OM Cort for finger picking. These are my tools for a gig as I want to get the correct, almost precise, sound for different sets. they are not for showing of, it's a lot to tune and juggle playing live. I simply want to make the sound accurate. My guitar Hero Mark Knopfler does the same thing, different guitars for different songs. Walk of Life -Telecaster.
    So I'm just emulating a great musician in trying to re-create the right sound.

T-bone Ted, kuvash and ZackyDog like this.

5. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

Jul 10, 2014
    Tokyo
    I have lots of guitars, a tool for every job, but some guitars can do more than one job. For a gig, I usually bring 3 different guitars.

rze99 and Nick Fanis like this.

6. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    Truth be told, I could get by with my Telecaster for just about anything in a pinch. Or my Strat.

7. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2005
    N. Cal.
    When learning something new-I always start on my Tele as it plays so easily. When I play out with folks I may move to a small archtop (Benedetto) for the tone and mix.

8. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Friend of Leo's

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    My Partscaster is my main-stay. It was painstakingly built over time, to fit the back of my hand and to fit the hole in my head. :twisted:

I play a Tele Nash Deluxe when I want to cleanse my sound pallet or when I want to clear my head.

I have a nylon acoustic - a modern classical hybrid, has a narrow nut and radiused fret board (not flat)... for living room duties.

jaybones likes this.

9. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    I have a pile of guitars. For most of the last year, the tele is the only electric that leaves the house. Country, blues, rock, jam band, doesn't really matter. I just like it the best so everything else kinda sits.

I have one acoustic I use for shows that are mandatory acoustic. Otherwise I've even started using the tele for solo shows. It works well.

I don't use alternate tunings, and I pretty much never break strings (knock on wood) so mostly I only leave the house with one guitar.

I have no interest in covering a lot of ground, or copping a lot of tones. I just wanna sound like I sound. So no need for piles of gear at a gig.

I work a couple hundred dates a year on average. Being able to load in with one guitar in a gig bag, one 23lb 1x12 amp, and a small bag with my effects rig and cables, all in one trip, and being able to set up or tear down in about a minute and half, is the bees knees.

ce24, basher, T-bone Ted and 10 others like this.

10. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I have some for standard and others for metric...

rz350, Sollipsist, Sconnie and 7 others like this.

11. Ekko

Ekko Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2017
    Texas
    I have multiple guitars for multiple tunings. I keep an acoustic, semi hollow, and my Jagmaster on hand for Standard/Drop D. Then I have a Strat for Open E, a Strat for “Placebo Tuning”, a Schecter I keep in Drop C, an old modded Harmony I keep in “Ostrich Tuning”. I have a few other guitars, but they mostly just stay in cases/on stands, other than a beater Takamine acoustic that has been getting some love lately as I’ve been messing around with it in David Crosby “Guinevere Tuning”.

12. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    By themselves they support the case, wall hanger and stand industry.

Jakedog likes this.

13. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    which jobs?

sell beer
    melt faces
    impress collectors
    slake nostalgia
    confound purists
    cop tones
    pose
    amuse self

I'm sure there are others

Deeve and Jakedog like this.

14. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Holic

Jan 20, 2007
    Lonk I-lant, New York
    My American Standard tele likes high gain and fuzz, my vintagey parstcaster likes cleans and light crunch.

15. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    I'd rather not. I usually switch up guitars between gigs just to keep things exciting, but I just embrace what the guitar of the moment has to offer.

One of my bands wanted to play one song in Eb, open string licks and all. I finally convinced them how stupid that was, at least from my point of view.

Crashbelt and Jakedog like this.

16. kuvash

kuvash Tele-Afflicted

Feb 13, 2010
    Upper California
    Cool.....seriously.

Jakedog and 3fngrs like this.

17. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    IMG_1112.JPG
    Me too. I use the Tele most of all but before that I played a Strat pretty much exclusively. For what I do could use any of the guitars I own really but I always use the Tele for gigs and bring a Strat for back up.

24 track likes this.

18. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    My Gretch Chet is my all round/go-to electric guitar.
    My avatar B bender critter is my all country/all night guitar.
    My James Goodall RCJC is my steel string all round/go-to acoustic.
    My Yamaha NTX700 is my go-to nylon string.
    My PRS Kestrel with TI flats is my go-to bass.
    I'm rich!

19. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    Nice stable you have there.

brookdalebill likes this.

20. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Meister

Mar 11, 2015
    Upper Midwest
    For solo gigs these days a standard mix would be Breedlove acoustic-electric dread for standard and drop tunings, a Simon & Patrick ac-el parlor for songs in open G and open D, and a banjo (w/ a humbucker) in G, A6 and mountain modal tunings. For a short set I just bring one guitar.

Duo gigs are similar. No banjo but for gigs 2 hrs or more we've been starting acoustic and trending electric, so same as above except after the parlor I switch to a Gretsch Electromatic.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.