Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

If it has judges, it's not a sport

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by maxvintage, Feb 11, 2018.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I have long had the idea of a golf scramble actually being a real scramble. Two teams... 4 players each. Each team has a your long guy. You have your medium range guy. You have your chipper. And you have your putter.

Flip of the coin to see which team tees off first. Then your two medium guys have to sprint to the ball, club in hand. First one there hits its. Next two guys sprint again, etc. Team that actually knocks the ball in the whole gets a point.

Next hole, same thing.

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

We had the same problem with "rodeo-kayaking". We had our personal friends and we expected them to win over the contestants we didn't know. Some people had paddled with the judges for years. Once you have kayaked the Niagara Gorge or the Zambezi with someone, how do you give them a lousy score in a silly contest?

[​IMG]

9/11/2001 finished off the organized sport known as Rodeo Kayaking, I guess, but it would've conked out anyway. When it did work, it was because everyone was so chill and most guys who craved a sponsorship got one. Once a few people started committing their whole existence to winning, poof!

3. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I was reminded of a similar sport...

[​IMG]

4. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

Jul 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada
    ...Or on skates or on the track or in soccer, swimming running, or anything where physical conditioning is required. Recreationally sliding around is much different than sport professionals - its a completely different league (except snowboarding)

I think you need to watch the sports and actually look at what is actually occurring before your eyes and let it register. I am not trying to be rude!

5. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    So a marathon isn't a sport? Ok, enjoy inventing all your own word definitions and see how far that gets you.

6. Ripradiant

Jul 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada

I knew you would reply! By what you say I think its clear you do not have enough experience at a true high performance level because otherwise you would somewhat understand what I said which clearly you don't... because you don't want to ...because you love snowboarding. And... there is nothing wrong with that!

Its just as simple as looking at it. I have no dislike for snowboarding or boarders.. but I just cant get over how un-athletic and awkward it is... just look at it and give it a moment to register! Both legs strapped to a board, no independent leg movement, and therefore no ability for aerobic work, half baked carving, and real challenge managing varying terrain.

Look at figure skating, alpine and Nordic skiing etc and then look at someone strapped on a board...hmmm.
    Do you need more?

7. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Yeah, just use your eyes: obviously two very different things!
    board and ski.jpg
    ;)

william tele and jondanger like this.

8. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    Anytime someone's argument is "Just look at it!" it seems fundamentally unserious to me. I asked you to explain it because you claimed a higher level of expertise. I recognize that I am not an expert, but your claims are clearly not self-evident.

As far as "independent leg movement," I'm not sure that makes any sense as a critique. It seems that the body mechanics of snowboarding require quite a bit of core strength and control.

Picton and william tele like this.

9. jondanger

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    I appreciate that the snowboard is a larger canvas for sweet graphics.

10. william tele

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    • A monkey on a board
    • Zero athleticism
    • Training for some involves smoking weed
    And you say you're not trying to be rude... I'd hate to see you try.

Ripradiant, Picton and jondanger like this.

11. jondanger

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    Hey - these snowboarders have a lot in common with telecaster doods.

12. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Just saw a Swiss snowboarder in the half pipe present a nice guitar motif along the bottom of his board every time he did a spin...... instead of a makers name..... looked great...:)

* he had another run.. tried a monitor pic when he showed his board........ snowtwang..:)

snowboard guitar.jpg

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Ripradiant and william tele like this.

13. Ripradiant

Jul 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada
    Didn't hear you say its not true though!

14. william tele

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    That list? Goes without saying...

15. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2009
    Minnesota
    It's just a race. Relax Francis, it's Page 6.

16. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2009
    innsmouth, MA
    isn't a ref a judge?

17. jondanger

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    There is a difference between deciding whether a ball crossed a line and rating a landing on a numerical scale.

That said, some of the sorts of of calls that refs have to make these days about did he make a “football move” are feeling a little ridiculous.

18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I trained for years, and entered and completed 4 of them (provided support on a few others), but I never thought of running marathons as a "sport".

I will admit, as you pass one runner, then another, then another, on the return leg, you do get that sense of beating someone else. But mostly, it is something where everyone wants to see the other person finish, and I have heck of a lot of respect for slower runners who are out there, slugging it out for 4.5 hours and even 5 hours. To me, that's amazing.

But the main "adversary" is the voice that says I should stop, and the "competition" is the knowing I could beat my previous time if I stay in the groove.

19. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Holic

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    I ran a marathon once on a whim. Signed up just a few days before. Dumb idea!!!

20. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    ”If it has judges, it's not a sport”

The GTO was kinda sporty

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.