Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

It's literally possible to change history (the danger of unintended consequences)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by soulgeezer, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Recce

Recce Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    Wait, stuff I read on the internet isn't true? Oh the agony!

tery likes this.

2. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Friend of Leo's

Sep 24, 2016
    California
    I think the stuff you read on Wikipedia is almost as accurate as the stuff we write on the liar's thread

tery, soulgeezer and Toto'sDad like this.

3. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    The lie I've been pushing for a few years is the one about the word "gyped". The word has nothing to do with gypsies or an ethnic reference.

It came about only in the 1800's gold rush days...when, to travel the route to the Yukon, by law you had to have so many lbs. of flour. In that part of Alaska there are gypsum mines. Unscrupulous supply vendors would sometimes pack very little flour and much gypsum into the flour sacks.

If you discovered this on the trip you'd be very angry at being gyped...

nojazzhere and RLee77 like this.

4. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    I was (and am) a fan of hers and I read a number of biographies in the pre-Wikipedia days. None - not one - of them mentioned a middle name.

And, now someone claims her middle name is Eartha, and the fake name I added has been moved to her stage name.

Does it seem like I got "lucky," or that the information is just bad?

bottlenecker likes this.

5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I say there your honor, I believe that man may be right!

6. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Maybe our knowledge of the past is like spelling. If enough people repeat the incorrect information, it will become common knowledge. It's like the incorrect word "alot." It's actually two words - a lot - not a single word, but so many people use it incorrectly that it's hard to change the common perception and so eventually it becomes acceptable to say "alot" rather than the correct "a lot."

I know I'm rather late with my response to this thread, but I just saw it.

WetBandit and Toto'sDad like this.

7. Penguinchit

Penguinchit TDPRI Member

Jul 14, 2017
    Minneapolis
    I wish I could have a troll moment that lives forever. You sir, are a king!

Toto'sDad likes this.

8. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    You Kelnet, and our dear brother William Tele swerved into or perhaps intentionally revealed what actually seems to guide the human race, or a very large portion of it. Tell a lie, keep repeating it, until it becomes the truth, then follow the lie that has become truth. Even those who originated the lie in time come to believe it, and march in lockstep with those they recruited to the untruth in the first place.

9. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    His genius is big ese and demands respect!

10. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

I could write pages on this. As a historian and teacher, by academic standards Wiki is NEVER a source to be cited. I tell my students I never want to see it in a bibliography. If it is there you fail!

11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

The things we talk about on this banjo forum!

Toto'sDad likes this.

12. Evil Funk

Evil Funk TDPRI Member

Sep 23, 2017
    Montana

You are my new favorite Evil Genius.

13. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Man has been rewriting history since it’s inception...a connotation, for every occasion o_O

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017

14. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Holic

Aug 2, 2011
    Branson, Mo
    Jack Finney's novel Time and Again explores changing history in the context of a guy facing the prospect of altering history in a very slight way that allows the Titanic to avoid the iceberg. It's a wonderful love story involving time travel with illustrations of New York City one hundred years ago.

I've convinced a few people, at least for a moment, to believe that the breast feathers on the birds in ceiling girders at Lowe's are evolving to be blue-grey, while those in The Home Depot are becoming orangish.

soulgeezer likes this.

15. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    You got somethin' against banjo players? We canna fix dat for youse.

[​IMG]

16. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

Jul 10, 2005
    Madison WI
    History is written by those who write it. A very very tiny percentage of any history ever written is 100% accurate.

Evil Funk likes this.

17. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    SG's greatest accomplishment in wordsmithing was starting a rumor that he was John Holmes' twin brother when he was attending high school. It was quickly dispelled though, and supplemented with the information that he was an "adopted" twin. :lol::lol::lol:

soulgeezer likes this.

18. kelnet

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    History is also passed on by those who tell it. Family stories are rarely written down, but family histories get passed on at holiday gatherings, and family reunions, and so on. Sometimes, though, the details change and the history gets clouded.

As for written history being accurate, doesn't it depend on the scope of the thing you are reading? A huge volume that covers the rise and fall of Napolean might have some inaccuracies, but an article about Game 7 of the 1994 Stanley Cup Finals might be completely accurate. To say that a "very very tiny percentage of any history ever written is 100% accurate" is to make an unprovable generalization. It sounds clever, and people might nod in some kind of vague recognition of what you're saying, but you can't possibly know the accuracy of everything that has ever been written about everything that has happened in the history of the world.

Also, history isn't written. History is written about.

19. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

Amen! History is written by the victors

Wikipedia is written by the last person to update the page

20. kelnet

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    So, if I research the history of mass transit in North America, and I write a book about the history of the subway in Toronto and it's role in suburban development, how am I a "victor"?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.