Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

It's time to boycott United Airlines.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by kelnet, Mar 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC

2. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    I think I read somewhere that out of 24 pet deaths last year on airlines that 18 of them were on United.

3. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    Yeah, that is weapons-grade BS.

4. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    I'm certainly not placing blame on the owner but nobody and no threat would make me place any pet in an overhead locker.

Isn't this the airline that also dragged a passenger from their seat?

I'm not sure about boycotting the airline but there does seem to be something brutal about these incidents that I haven't seen referenced to any other airlines. And they need to get their act together or people will stop using them.

5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Don't commercial airlines have lower cabins that are temp and pressure suitable for crated pets?
    Does anybody put pets in the overheads?
    Aside from peacocks?

Bones likes this.

6. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

Oct 17, 2012
    Nelson City TX

7. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    Sad story for sure and most of the blame rests with the Airline Employee and American has said as much. However, this was a 10 month old puppy, it wasn't a service dog and it could have easily traveled in the pressurized section of the cargo hold where pets should travel. Yes it's not ideal for the pet, but millions of pets a year travel this way. My own dog flew all the way from France to Canada as a puppy, in the cargo hold. As an adult, he flew from Canada to the Akita Rescue in the U.S. in the cargo hold. What has happened with air travelers in the past decade is astounding, people think they can bring pigs and peacocks on the flight. Except for extreme cases, animals need to be stowed below IMHO.

8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

SooOOoo, you're telling me 18 + 6 = 24?

9. Bones

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    Only if you tune a half-step down

rich815 and Nickadermis like this.

10. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I just saw a news report on this that stated that the family had paid an extra fee and had previous authorization from the airline to bring the 10-month old puppy in the passenger cabin, housed in an approved pet container, that would fit under the seat.

I wasn't there - I don't know if all of that is true.

I think each of these airline incidents come down to mis-trained employees, acting on their own, in ignorance. I think it comes down to a higher level of employee training by all airlines.

ickylick and kelnet like this.

11. Bones

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    Part of the problem is they give these employees 100% authority in the cabin and a lot of them don't know how to see anything other than black&white. They have a little power and they are going to wield it. Sort of like the TSA agents, there's no case by case thinking it's all rigid and if you make a fuss you will lose 100% of the time. Same in the cabin, you make a fuss, no matter how right you are, you will be hog-tied and removed from the cabin.

ickylick and william tele like this.

12. TheGoodTexan

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Absolute authority corrupts absolutely.
    But it turns out, a small amount of authority can corrupt absolutely as well.

esetter likes this.

13. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    no matter what, i'd never put my dogs in the cargo of any airline. a total gamble. ymmv.

esetter likes this.

14. Bones

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    Flying in general is a total gamble. You minimize the risk to animals and fellow passengers by storing them down below where they are set up to deal with them.

rich815 likes this.

15. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    That wouldn't explain why

The problem might be United.

kelnet likes this.

16. Staggerlee666

Staggerlee666 Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2014
    MPLS
    If anyone did that to my pups I'd rip their ****ing eyes out.

esetter likes this.

17. TheGoodTexan

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Yeah... I'm an animal lover. But I'm allergic to cats... as in, I can't go into the home of a cat-owner, or else my eyes will swell up, my arms will begin to itch inside the inner-elbow area, and I will likely have an asthma attack (for which I carry an inhaler). So, if someone brings a cat into the passenger cabin of an airplane, it would cause me all sorts of problems. Some people have similar challenges with dogs, and other animals of course.

18. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Yeah! United BE trippin'!

19. Bones

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    Another thing that the owner or flight crew should have been aware of is that this puppy is of a breed that is known for having breathing difficulties in flight due to their short snout. They need good airflow and you can't get that while in an overhead bin. Why the owner never checked on the puppy is bewildering.

telemnemonics and soulgeezer like this.

20. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    try flying in cargo and you'll appreciate why you would not want yer beloved doggies and kitties in there as well.

fortunately, my dogs are cavaliers and they fly in the cabin with me.

esetter likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.