Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

It's time to boycott United Airlines.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by kelnet, Mar 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I'm not up on the rules but why would they offer the option of bringing pet crates into the passenger area?
    Maybe for tropical pets that require a warmer environment than below?
    Or maybe just to sell another half ticket?
    The story said "the bag was partly obstructing the aisle".
    So was the bin in a bag?
    Or did the passenger pay to bring a bin that fit under the seat but they brought the wrong bin?

IDK the circumstances, but anywhere you bring a pet, you have a certain amount of responsibility for the animals wellbeing, regardless of what you are told.
    If the owner had bothered to open the overhead periodically to check on the puppy and reassure it, the puppy would have been fine.
    The overhead bins, while not suitable pet habitats, are fully withing the control of the passenger who puts stuff there.

If I left my puppy in a closed box right within reach for six hours and it died, I'm not sure how righteous I'd feel about blaming somebody else.

Not that the attendant wasn't also at fault, but fault is everywhere, and we need to protect our loved ones from it all the time.

2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    So these guys would not be acceptable in the plane with you?

[​IMG]

3. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    Some of you hit it on the head... badly trained personnel.

I was on a flight with a different carrier. Had priority boarding as I fly all the time and a lady who came on right after me put a bag and her purse in the overhead bin. Now we were not even half full when the flight left the gate, but the attendant went full mental on that customer telling her that she needed to have only one carry on and the other needed to go beneath her seat. My wife and I sat there with our mouths agape watching the attendant demand the lady take her bag down from the overhead. The customer stood her ground and told the attendant that she was not taking up any more space than some of the larger carry ons and that if the flight got too full she would move her purse. The attendant finally realized she was not going to win, and says to the customer, "well I could make you take that out if I wanted to, just know that" and turned walked back to the back of the plane. I leaned forward and told the customer, "and if she had made you take it down I would have asked for it and put it up above me as we did not carry anything on".
    Some flight attendants forget that those that they are to "serve" actually contribute to their paychecks.

In this case, poor training wins out again... at least they were not forcibly dragged off the plane.

TheGoodTexan and esetter like this.

4. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    Those idiots at United will be their own undoing.

5. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    With no concern for people with allergies ?

We can't even have peanuts on flights anymore out of fear of allergies, but everyone can just bring their dogs and cats anywhere they want to bring them. Now I see people bringing dogs into the grocery store with them , just because.

FenderGyrl and rich815 like this.

6. Bones

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    Generally, we are all our own undoing.

7. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I understand United breaks guitars, too.

ac15, esetter and telemnemonics like this.

8. dogbert

dogbert TDPRI Member

Mar 4, 2018
    Texas
    who just thinks, "I'll just toss my dog in with the luggage in the cargo hold of an airplane"?

I mean, what could possibly go wrong, besides the severe unhappiness it's liable to cause your pet.

9. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    I haven't flown United since they killed Carrie Fisher.

10. Bones

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    They do not go into the luggage hold, they go into a pressurized and temperature control section under the plane.

TheGoodTexan and rich815 like this.

11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Where is that United Breaks Guitars video?

12. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 22, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I’ve read about 5-6 articles about this incident. Only one mentions that the carrier was partially blocking the aisle and could not be stored under the seat properly which is why the flight attendant would not allow it under the seat. I wish there was more details on this and the whole story would come out. I’m not defending the FA, I want to know the whole story without the sensationalism.

telemnemonics likes this.

13. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Sad.
    However, I do not believe animals should travel. Too much trauma.
    imho only

rich815 likes this.

14. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    The only animal that I’m allergic to, as far as I know, is a feline. Dogs and horses (or dogs riding horses) cause no challenge for me. We have have an 80 pound Lab that’s an in-house dog.

15. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Solutions to special circumstances need to be established before boarding ever begins. These solutions or provisions should be in writing to avoid these types of tragic events. It's the airline's responsibility to make it's policies clear to avoid confrontations.

I fault United completely. Some people have a tendency to yield to authority thinking they are in the hands of professionals. This has been proven false repeatedly, especially in United Airlines case.

kelnet and Bones like this.

16. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    Flew United because it was the only non-stop to Austin from where I was departing.

After I bought a ticket, I immediately received an email that indicated with my purchase price--I would have to pay extra for a carry on. That's right, I couldn't bring anything on the plane with me. Upcharge for a carry on.

Fine, if that's your policy--but to essentially hide that behind two more clicks to see what your rate gives you---then disclose it clearly after the purchase. No go.

Shady nickel and dimeing, no free TV...just sub-par in every way. Never again. So I add this to my list of reasons why.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018

17. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2014
    The tan house in AZ
    United sucks. Animals on flights has gotten out of hand though.

rich815, uriah1, Obsessed and 2 others like this.

18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

This is the fruit of seeds sown long ago.

This company, in the 1960s, had an almost Noble bearing. But over the decades they continued to fall when it was thought they could fall no more. So, it takes a certain kind of subpar or ignorant person to even accept employment with United.

I kinda like knowing "the stupit" is concentrated in one place; in this way I can safely and easily steer around the pile.

19. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    I almost exclusively fly Southwest as long as Southwest flies where I'm going. I don't do it for the price (though their price is hard to beat). I've just never had a single problem with them in decades of traveling with them (I understand that may not be the case with others... I'm just speaking from my own experience). They have been on time way more often than many of the other carriers I've flown. The attendant staff has always been top notch. My first two checked bags fly free. I can take two carryons for free so long as one of them fits under the seat in front of me (and I've never been scolded for putting both up in the overheads... though I'm nice enough to wait and see if there is space after everyone has boarded before I put my 2nd bag above). And while we don't have the little guy anymore (d@mn cancer will take your pets too), we used to fly with our Shih-Tzu all the time without a problem. We've even had the attendants bring them bottled water (without asking) so we could take them out for a few and let them have a sip. The carrier always fit completely under the seat (which is OUR responsibility to ensure).

I would never in a million years stuff my pet in one of the overheads. While inconvenient... I would take the attendants name and employee number, ask that she let me and my family deboard so I could speak to her supervisor and make sure things were worked out safely before a flight ever took off. It isn't worth the risk of losing your pet to simply blindly follow orders.

I don't know the full story (there are almost always 3 or more different versions), so it is hard to comment. I've seen images of the dog carrier and it looks extremely similar in shape/size/material to the one I used to carry on my dog. If that is the case, it should have easily fit under the seat without any issue (it is soft sided and can even bend/flex a bit to help it fit if it is tight).

Censport likes this.

20. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    I wonder if the owner of the dog was aware that the overhead compartments did not have sufficient airflow for a pet. Perhaps she assumed that it was a perfectly fine location for the pet carrier. After all, the flight attendant said it was okay.

United has pet carriers that fit under the seat in front of the passenger. For some reason, the carrier in this case was not placed under the seat. Perhaps the owner of the dog wanted the leg room. However, the flight attendant should have insisted on placing the pet carrier under the seat. The flight attendant has final say on where in-cabin luggage and pets must be placed. It's not the owners fault that the puppy was in the wrong location.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.