Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

James Burton 50's Tele

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by ChuckinCharlie, Jan 13, 2018.

1. ChuckinCharlie

ChuckinCharlie TDPRI Member

Jan 13, 2018
    Hartford, CT
    The custom shop never put out a red 50's James Burton tele like the James Burton standard?

2. ChuckinCharlie

Jan 13, 2018
    Hartford, CT
    All my research and the lack of replies leaves me pretty certain there is no Fender Custom shop James Burton '53 tele. That blows my mind!

smartsoul72 likes this.

3. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    To my knowledge they’ve never offered a CS version of his main Tele as a standard line item. They’ve offered 2 production models: the 3-pickup USA model in 2 succeeding versions and the MIM model. The latter is vaguely 50’s, but doesn’t replicate anything he used.

4. ChuckinCharlie

Jan 13, 2018
    Hartford, CT
    You have the JB Standard though? What do you think? I've been toying with the idea of getting one and upgrading parts. Does the alder body get the low end spank?

5. ChuckinCharlie

Jan 13, 2018
    Hartford, CT
    You have the JB Standard though? What do you think? I've been toying with the idea of getting one and upgrading parts. Does the alder body get the low end spank?

6. brenn

brenn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    I have only had the USA version, but the specs I've seen claim the standard and USA have the same neck profile. The fat U-shaped neck profile was the best thing about that guitar. I'd love to just have a neck like that. With the neck, I'd assemble the rest of the guitar from parts - I like those Mexican alder bodies.

7. MatchlessMan

MatchlessMan Tele-Meister

Oct 22, 2011
    Wiltshire UK
    I tried the 3-pickup signature in a shop maybe 20 years ago. I wasn't impressed with that one, but given the time elapsed, I can't remember why!

8. ChuckinCharlie

Jan 13, 2018
    Hartford, CT
    That one seems like a Strat for people more accustomed to a tele body and neck.

tonytrout likes this.

9. ChuckinCharlie

Jan 13, 2018
    Hartford, CT
    I've got a Stephen's tele and the neck is wide but I think more of a "U" shape. The best music shop we have in my area is a Guitar Center. I think I'll take a drive there and see what Tele's they have to try out the necks.

I wouldn't be surprised if they have a used JB standard they could get shipped from another store to try.

10. ChuckinCharlie

Jan 13, 2018
    Hartford, CT
    I was thinking of going with a Crook because that's the sound I'm going for but I don't love the headstock shape or logo. Would love to have a fender neck.

I'm also looking to end up with what I call an "Esquire deluxe". A bridge pickup and Strat middle position and no neck pickup. Then have a 5 way switch for:
    1. Bridge (no tone)
    2. Bridge and middle (out of phase - in series)
    3. bridge and middle (in phase - in series)
    4. Bridge and middle (out of phase - in parallel)
    5. bridge and middle (in phase - in parallel)

and in a candy apple red color.

11. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

There really haven’t been too many custom shop versions of artist guitars. Although many artist have had USA and MIM models.
    I've always wondered why they never had a Keith Richards or Robben Ford Tele model.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018

12. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2007
    Chicagoland
    The '52 RI is closer to James '53 than the JB Standard. I had one for a brief moment. Body is routed for a humbucker, multiple pieces of wood body, covered in heavy poly, and the Tex Mex pickups don't sound anything like the old 50s pickups he had on that guitar.

13. archetype

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Alder is no guarantee of any particular sound. You’ll have to play whatever individual guitar comes to hand to hear it. The body isn’t unique to the JB Standard. It’s the same as any Telecaster Standard for that particular year. Mine is a ‘98 sunburst, so it’s a multi-piece poplar core with bookmatched ash veneer front and back.

14. archetype

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Same neck on both versions. A chunky U-profile, but not as fat as a 52 RI as far as I can tell.

15. archetype

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    I’d be stunned if you find a used one in a music store. They’re scarce. I bought mine new in ‘98 and it’s the only one I’ve seen in a store, ever. Fender discontinued the model last year.

16. ChuckinCharlie

Jan 13, 2018
    Hartford, CT
    If your doing artist guitars when it comes to Tele's a James Burton should be one of the first. Suzie Q and the Ricky Nelson stuff are one of the foundations of the sound and technique. Is there no Don Rich either? I mean custom shop for both. Serious repros. How you get to doing an Andy Summer's before taking care of Burton and Rich, I don't get.

17. ChuckinCharlie

Jan 13, 2018
    Hartford, CT
    I don't think my local store has one but I would suspect Guitar Center has a used one somewhere they could ship over. Seems to be plenty of used ones around the web if someone wanted one.

That's a good long run, '98 - 2016. Should be a fair number around.

At the end of the day it doesn't sound like the JB standard has anything special about it that other US and MiM don't have as well. So unless having his sig on the headstock is important (it's not to me). I just want a decent starting point to customize in a color close to Burton's. If there was a really good custom shop version that would have been optimal.

18. archetype

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    All correct IMO. Mine has an incredibly thick protective plastic coating on it. The TS pickups are twang-resistant unless you drop them down pretty low.

19. archetype

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Deleted duplicate post.

20. archetype

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    They thought of JB first. James Burton was the first person Fender contacted about doing a signature model. It was discussed for at least 2 years before JB would agree to something. By that time they’d already approached Eric Clapton and his was the first sig model they produced. I don’t remember where I read the interview, but this is well-documented.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.