Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

James Burton 50's Tele

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by ChuckinCharlie, Jan 13, 2018.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    I was just speaking of artist guitars in general. Burton at least has a premium USA model and an MIM version.
    The most popular CS versions of guitars are probably the Clapton and Gilmour models.
    As for Burton and Rich, I would assume it’s a matter of sales potential. Artist models are about appeal and not necessarily about the artist contributions.

tonytrout likes this.

2. MatchlessMan

MatchlessMan Tele-Meister

Oct 22, 2011
    Wiltshire UK
    A recollection later surfaced - it was very soft-sounding, with no Tele bite.

3. ChuckinCharlie

ChuckinCharlie TDPRI Member

Jan 13, 2018
    Hartford, CT
    I guess for me it doesn't mean anything if they approach an artist an say "Hey, let's make a signature model. Let's design it together." I want the custom shop idea of taking a PARTICULAR guitar and make exacting copies. Then you could try it and see if it works for you.

At the end of the day though I just want one that LOOKS like his red tele and sounds like a Crook which is probably to say I want mine to sound like Burtons Paisley and look like his original red '53 and then I want to lose the neck pickup and add a Strat middle so I can get both the classic twang or out of phase sounds.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018

4. ChuckinCharlie

Jan 13, 2018
    Hartford, CT
    I would have thought Fender could make more on those guys custom shop guitars than on trying to sell a lot of regular Fenders with their signatures but I have to assume Fender knows better than me.

5. ChuckinCharlie

Jan 13, 2018
    Hartford, CT
    It's funny both Burton and Albert Lee ended up going for the strat sound (on non-strat guitars) later in their careers. I think both go with the out of phase sound a lot Nowadays.

6. ChuckinCharlie

Jan 13, 2018
    Hartford, CT
    It seems like a light weight body is what you want mainly. It seems like swamp ash is very popular for the explosive low end twang. The high end seems to come from the single coils and the tele bridge.

I love the sound of this tele and I think he says it's got an alder body.

7. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    It has to be by agreement with the artist to market the guitar's association with the artist, as that association is a marketing advantatge with a monetary effect: doesn't matter if it's production or Custom Shop.

Fender could replicate JB's '53, but if they didn't market who the guitar is associated with, then to most guitar players it would simply be another great guitar like a '51 Nocaster or a '52 Reissue.

In the end, how different would a JB '53 RI be? Basically it would be a '52 RI in red with a white guard and steel saddles. That would satisfy me, but in this and other forums people would rightfully say 'why does that deserve to be a Telecaster model?' The only thing special would be that it's a replica associated with JB.

And now for something completely different...

I found the reference for the history of the JB sig model. Turns out that he and Fender talked about it for 8 years before agreeing.

https://books.google.com/books?id=B...=onepage&q=james burton 53 telecaster&f=false

8. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I imagine it comes down to artist licensing fees.

9. dimojoe

dimojoe Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Oct 10, 2012
    Northern Il
    There is a used JB standard on my local craigslist for $500. It has been on there at least a month. I emailed the seller and it does have the big U neck. I thought about it just for the neck.

10. ChuckinCharlie

Jan 13, 2018
    Hartford, CT
    So I went into Guitar Center to try out Tele's mostly to see if any sounded like what I was looking for and what the necks were like and I ended up walking out with the ugly ass Brad Paisley silver sparkle with the paisley pick guard. Sound was just what I was looking for and didn't mind the baseball bat neck (I have small hands but action seems like bigger deal for me than width and depth of neck or maybe my hands are more normal than small). They aren't cheap considering they are Mexican but they sound and play great right off the shelf.

Spent all afternoon playing all my favorite tele licks 10x's over: Zeppelin, country, Brad, Johnny Marr, James Honeyman-Scott, funk, soul, rock. Plays great. I'm not used to such tall frets though and they made my fingers a little sore which surprised me. It's amazingly light. Sales guy said it was under 6 pounds?! Not sure it's that light but it is super light. Much easier to play for a long time than my previous guitar that must weigh 4 pounds more.

...and it's Paulownia body with an ash (I think) top!

I definitely want to look at getting it stripped and re-painted so if anybody knows someone who does that in the Connecticut area, let me know. Same for someone that can put a Strat middle position in and handle electronics work.

I'm going to end up with the perfect (for me) amalgam of Burton guitars. Looks like the '53, sounds like a '67-'68 Paisley plus a middle pickup for out of phase stuff and lose the neck pickup.

Worst thing about it is the truss rod is old school.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018

11. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2007
    Chicagoland
    Many years ago(some of you may remember) I basically had a Burton signature made.
    I took a '52 RI, refinished it dakota red, put an 8 hole white guard on it, and steel saddles.

12. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    Dude, it seems like you've been away for a while. Good to see you back.

Amby likes this.

13. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

Mar 19, 2003
    Brasstown/Murphy, NC

That would be Zac Childs' Crook paisley Tele that he had built for him a good long while back before, I think, the headstock change (take a look at the entire video and you can see a Fender-style headstock and not the usual Crook headstock very briefly in the video).

I love the way that guitar sounds!!! I'd love to own a Crook vintage pink paisley - but I'd swap the current neck for a 1969 Fender paisley Tele neck, I'm sure.

However, I can't and probably never will be able to afford a guitar like that.

As for whoever said that Burton's signature Teles sound more like Strats? They do. They're a Strat disguised as a Tele - and I hate them.

14. ChuckinCharlie

Jan 13, 2018
    Hartford, CT
    If you want a Crook but can't or won't spend the money take a look at these Fender road worn Silver Sparkle paisleys. Less than half what a Crook would cost you and very similar in sound.

I love that Zac Childs video both because of the guitar but also he plays the opening of "Drift Away" which is amazing and the solo from The Pretenders "Kid".

15. ChuckinCharlie

Jan 13, 2018
    Hartford, CT
    Any pictures?

16. FredDairy

Mar 25, 2007
    Chicagoland
    Thanks. I got really into Gibson Custom Shop and that was eating most of my Fender funds. I sold some great Pure Vintage Fenders which I sort of regret now!

I also bought a house last year and my forum time has been cut way back.

17. FredDairy

Mar 25, 2007
    Chicagoland
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

t guitar floyd likes this.

18. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

Feb 6, 2011
    Chicago
    Fender never did a decent James Burton model. They did a tele and got him to endorse it because he was just glad to have a guitar. They should have done both his early 53 in red and his paisley!

ChuckinCharlie and elihu like this.

19. FredDairy

Mar 25, 2007
    Chicagoland
    I had this Paisley built as well. I don't have my red '52 anymore but I still own this paisley and probably will till the day I die. Its got real 70s tuners, a poly neck, and nitro oversprayed headstock. [​IMG]

20. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2003
    Do it. You won't regret it. I had a MIM JB Standard and loved the neck. Great guitar that flies under the radar. Sold mine to a friend a while back when I needed some scratch. Always have the option of buying it back. But I may have a hard time getting it back He loves the thing. Just a great Tele.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.