Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Joyo JF10 dynamic compressor vs. Mooer Yellow comp?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Jussi, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Jussi

Jussi Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2010
    St Michel, Finland
    Hey,
    and at the first I'm sorry for any grammatical errors made by google translator, because my own English is completely rusty.I will try to write simply.

I've tried search the internet discussions and possible comparisons Joyo dynamic compressor vs. Mooer yellow comp from the compressor, but I have not found any. I know that the world is full of good compressors, but (now) I'm only interested in these 2.
    As I understand it, none of the options does not squeeze sound, such as MXR dyna comp. Obviously, Joyo seems to be the slightest compression ...?

Does anyone here own any compressor or even both? It would be nice to hear the thoughts on whether those big differences or what would be better?? Uses primarily for clean sound.

I would like the compressor to have the following features:

-length (more sustain) for ringing notes or chords
    -transparent (or almost)
    -quiet
    -to balance the dynamics.

Joyo: https://www.cheaperpedals.com/products/joyo-dyna-compressor-jf-10-pedal

Mooer: https://www.cheaperpedals.com/products/mooer-yellow-comp-optical-compressor

Thank you in advance for any of your experiences and recommendations!

Regards, Jussi

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018

2. blille

blille Tele-Holic

Hi Jussi. They can both do what you need but they are very different flavors/kinds of compression. The Mooer is Optical and the Joyo is I believe a Ross/mxr clone.

For subtle evening out of my playing I prefer optical (like the mooer). When I need more squeeze (for funk) I choose something else, like the Joyo here.

I encourage you to visit www.ovnilab.com the best Resource on the web for compression pedals.

aux8 likes this.

3. Jussi

Jussi Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2010
    St Michel, Finland
    Thank you Blille for your comments!
    Thanks also for a very good link, with good descriptions of different compressors ;)

When I browsed the link, my eyes hit the Marshall ed-1 compressor (who got positive comments as I remember), which I should also be considered...maybe.

I have been offered EHX soul preacher compressor, which affects pretty good, but I have read it to be quite noisy, and it gives a slightly negative points.

If there is something that matters, my amplifier has an "vox ac30 style circuit" (point to point) and the guitars are with singlecoil PU's usually.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018

4. Jussi

Jussi Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2010
    St Michel, Finland
    I made a barter and now I got Mooer yellow comp for myself.
    The case is finished so far ;)

Time will show that it redeems itself.

PBO Blues and blille like this.

5. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    I have a Mooer Yellow Comp. It works great with my Tele and Vox AC-15. Congratulations!

6. Jussi

Jussi Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2010
    St Michel, Finland
    Thanks a lot!
    It's great to hear beforehand that it works with Vox and Telecaster! :)

Il Belva and RetroTeleRod like this.

7. Jussi

Jussi Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2010
    St Michel, Finland
    Now I finally got the Mooer to the test (pic).

My analysis ...
    It works fine with clean sounds and it gives the sound a nice naps & attack and it compresses the unevenness.

It is pretty quiet, but I hear a little sneering (when I don't play) ...no problemos. Very transparent.

I might have hoped a bit more sustain, but this is still a sufficient addition to my arpeggio playing with clean sounds.

My points 8/10 and very good deal!

Attached Files:

blille, Felino and RetroTeleRod like this.

8. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    Congratulations. Nice looking board too!

Jussi likes this.

9. Xtyfighterx

Xtyfighterx Tele-Meister

Mar 2, 2018
    North idaho
    I have a kokko compressor it’s another. Cheaper Chinese pedal but I’m in love with it it’s three knobs $17 shipped and it’s a mini so saves space for bigger and better things. I do have a joyo OD and it’s held up great so far no complaints from joyo

10. Jussi

Jussi Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2010
    St Michel, Finland
    I also saw Kokko compressor in internet and I even considered at the moment it, but at the finally I took Mooer, because it not paid anything for me.

Nice the hear ,that Joyo overdrive is great, because I have planned, that I will buy Joyo vintage overdrive some day in this spring.

I have owned Joyo ultimate drive and American sound pedals and they both were good too.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018

11. Jussi

Jussi Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2010
    St Michel, Finland
    Would any of the recommended settings for the mooer yellow compressor?

i would like more sustain to clean sound ,but I do not compression. What kind of settings?

12. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2017
    italy
    I never tried the Joyo but i have the Mooer and i think is great, is always on in the first position.

13. Jussi

Jussi Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2010
    St Michel, Finland
    I have mooer compressor too.
    I like it, because it is very transparent and it is in the first position too, before boost or drive pedals.
    What kind settings you use, if you want more sustain to clean sound?

14. Thin white duke

Oct 1, 2017
    italy
    I usually have the comp between 11 and 12 o'clock, Eq 12 o'clock, it depends if i use the Tele or the 335, the Eq may change a little bit but that is my standard setting, what's your setting ?

15. Jussi

Jussi Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2010
    St Michel, Finland
    Thank you for setting a tip!

I have had mooer only a short time, and I have used it only with the Stratocaster.
    I've not tried test it with my telecaster and Ibanez es335 copy yet.

My settings for clean sound is the comp between 12 (usually I use this) and 1 o'clock, Eq between 12 and 1 o'clock.
    I had in the beginning comp 3 o'clock, but this setting squeezed the sound too much for my taste. Of course, it depends on the situation of what to playing.

(Sorry for my possible grammatical errors because I speak Finnish)

16. Thin white duke

Oct 1, 2017
    italy
    I have had mooer only a short time, and I have used it only with the Stratocaster.
    I've not tried test it with my telecaster and Ibanez es335 copy yet.

My settings for clean sound is the comp between 12 (usually I use this) and 1 o'clock, Eq between 12 and 1 o'clock.
    I had in the beginning comp 3 o'clock, but this setting squeezed the sound too much for my taste. Of course, it depends on the situation of what to playing.

(Sorry for my possible grammatical errors because I speak Finnish)[/QUOTE]

Almost the same as me, yes, 3 o'clock is too much, i don't like it when it squeeze too much.

----(Sorry for my possible grammatical errors because I speak Finnish)-----
    I'm italian, we are in the same situation. ;););)

Jussi likes this.

17. Jussi

Jussi Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2010
    St Michel, Finland
    Almost the same as me, yes, 3 o'clock is too much, i don't like it when it squeeze too much.

----(Sorry for my possible grammatical errors because I speak Finnish)-----
    I'm italian, we are in the same situation. ;););)
    [/QUOTE]

This TDPRI is a great forum for people around the world!
    :):cool::)

18. Il Belva

Il Belva TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Italy
    I confirm too that's great with the Vox-tele combo!

19. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Plus it's really set off by the white coily cord.;)

RetroTeleRod likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.