Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Les Paul Owners Club!

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by BritishBluesBoy, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Henfield Tele

Henfield Tele Tele-Holic

Oct 30, 2012
    West Sussex Uk
    IMG_0517.JPG

2. Henfield Tele

Henfield Tele Tele-Holic

Oct 30, 2012
    West Sussex Uk
    Zepfan, Minimalist518 and hdvades like this.

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Nice!
    Looks like the gold hardware has been changed (or faded”) to nickel, and it’s had Grovers added, and it’s (blessedly)
    been refretted.

That’s my “dream” Les Paul!
    I have seen asking prices as high as $20,000.
    If the seller is more motivated, or there are breaks/changes, $10-14,000.
    1968 is the year Gibson re-introduced the single cutaway Les Paul.
    Two models were offered, one gold top with P90s, and the Custom, with humbukers.
    The 1968 Custom originally had the incredibly small, low “fretless wonder” frets, which most players find useless.
    They also had “witch hat” numbered knobs, “long” neck tenons, “waffle back” metal button Kluson tuners, and white nylon bridge pieces.
    All the hardware and screws were gold plated.
    The 68 Custom also had one piece bodies with two piece center match maple tops, one piece necks with no volute,
    impressed (not inked) serial numbers, and a dot on the “i” in the Gibson logo.
    The following year, 1969 marked many changes, none of them improvements from a collector/enthusiast’s point if view.
    Among those changes are no dot on the “i”, multi (3) piece necks, a volute, multi piece “sandwich” bodies, multi piece (usually 3) piece tops, and shorter “transitional” neck joints.
    68 Customs and gold tops usually have larger rounded necks.
    I have owned many 68 gold tops, and played many 68 Customs.
    I currently have two CS Les Pauls I am selling to finance the purchase of a reissue 68 LP Custom.
    That model is as close to a “real” 68 as I can afford.
    You can check to see if yours is a 68 a couple of ways.
    There are websites with serial numbers, and the potentiometers will have date codes.
    A “real” 1968 Les Paul is a rare and woderful guitar.
    The “T Top” humbuckers sound great!
    The great Jan Akkerman played one in Focus, as did Davey Johnstone with Elton John.
    Very cool!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    Henfield Tele and hdvades like this.

4. Henfield Tele

Henfield Tele Tele-Holic

Oct 30, 2012
    West Sussex Uk
    Wow, thank you for that detailed reply, I can take the Lp home and photograph and check in fine detail as he’s a good friend of my mine. I suspect it’s worth more than he realises!! PS been stored in his cupboard for years, so will get my tech to look at it as well..

brookdalebill likes this.

5. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Meister

Mar 6, 2016
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Hi there Henfield Tele!
    As far as confirming it's a real '68 Custom, that's on you and if it is that is one awesome treasure. The lack of gold hardware is a bummer for sure.
    I have no connection to this. Heck, I've never been to Paris, France but just something to look at for some information and great pictures...
    https://reverb.com/item/7778059-gibson-les-paul-custom-1968

Henfield Tele likes this.

6. neilybob100

neilybob100 TDPRI Member

Jan 23, 2018
    UK
    This is my early 90's Burny MIJ Les Paul LG75-GR.

I ain't ever parting ways with it! IMG_20180110_234107.jpg IMG_20171006_160746.jpg

7. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    Sign me up! I went and did it. This is my new (to me) Epiphone goldtop Les Paul Traditional Pro. It has Seymour Duncan pickups; a SH-2 Jazz Model in the neck and a ‘bucker sized SPH90 Phat Cat in the bridge. The cold, winter light through our front room window doesn’t do the gold top justice; it’s real pretty! I’ll have to take pics that show the color better.
    I really dig the fact that the hardware is not shiny chrome, but rather dulled to a worn-in looking satin finish. I also love that it has the nicer knobs and has “finger-cutter” indicator rings under them. I also much prefer the kidney-button Grover tuners over traditional Klussons. It’s a vintage-style guitar, so it’s as if the imaginary backstory of this guitar included a tuner upgrade making it a player, not a case-queen. Speaking of cases, the aftermarket case it came with is awesome!
    I haven’t really gotten the chance to wind this guitar up to full kerang, but it sounds great even acoustically, and plugged in at low volume with my Boss JB-2 kicked on, it sounds fantastic and can easily be nudged into musical, controlled feedback. I’m looking forward to hearing it push the front end of my amp sans pedal. The neck is fatter than my Tele, but I’ve had guitars with similarly girthed necks before, so it’ll just take a little readjustment to relearn this neck shape (this is already happening.) My wife is playing in her ladies’ dart league Wednesday night, so I can get loud then

IMG_3658.JPG IMG_3657.JPG

8. Chmason85

Chmason85 TDPRI Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Philadelphia/Louisville
    2017 Classic Goldtop, only change is smaller pearl tuner buttons

Attached Files:

9. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Meister

Here's my '74 Small Script Kalamazoo Standard. I bought it used in '77 in Knoxville, TN, as I was joining a pretty hot band.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And in 1979
    [​IMG]

It is dead stock except a Mighty Mite brass jack plate. The original jack plate is in the case.

Bob

JBFatFingers, cam.man67, Chip and 4 others like this.

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I bought one of those from Ray Hennig’s Heart Of Texas Music as soon as they were available.
    Cool!

11. Dragontele47

Dragontele47 TDPRI Member

Feb 1, 2018
    CNY
    2016 60s Tribute. Only mod is a3/a5 magnet combo in neck pickup and a4/a5 combo in the bridge pickup. I have to mod my guitars in some way. This is the least of the bunch.

[​IMG]

mojosman and Minimalist518 like this.

12. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    Not sure I am on this thread so here is the 58R 2007 and some background data for you avid readers:

It was the 1,514th guitar made of this model. It is a Les Paul plaintop VOS custom 2007 R8, made in 2007 in the custom shop at Nashville Gibson plant. Per a Gibson support person in a conversation which took place 8/21/2017.

Gibson Custom 1958 Les Paul Plain Top VOS (Vintage Original Spec)
    Features:
    •Body Wood: Mahogany
    •Top wood: Maple
    •Scale Length: 24-3/4"
    •Neck Joint: Set-in
    •Neck Wood: Mahogany
    •Fretboard: Rosewood
    •Neck Shape: 50's
    •Frets: 22
    •Nut Width: 1-11/16"
    •Fretboard Radius: 12
    •Bridge: ABR-1 Tune-O-Matic
    •Pickup Bridge: Burstbucker 2
    •Pickup Neck: Burstbucker 1
    •Controls: Volume / Volume / Tone / Tone
    •Tuners: Kluson
    •Hardware color: Nickel
    •Pickup selector: 3-way
    •Finish: Nitro-Cellulose Lacquer

The 1958 Les Paul Reissue VOS (Vintage Original Spec) Electric Guitar from the Gibson Custom Shop has the great features, tone, and looks that made the original '58 Les Paul a classic, but with a plain top for "workhorse" comfort and feel. Features a maple top, mahogany back, and one-piece set-in mahogany neck with rounded '50s neck profile, nickel plated hardware, and an original ABR-1 Tune-O-Matic bridge.

The Gibson Burstbucker Pickups used are historically accurate "Patent Applied For" replicas with an airy tone and unbalanced coils. A medium output Burstbucker 1 is used in the neck position, while the Burstbucker 2 in the bridge position has a slightly hotter output. Both have unpolished magnets and non-potted coils like the original "Patent Applied For" pickups.

Like all VOS (Vintage Original Spec) Series instruments, the 1958 Les Paul Reissue Plain Top VOS is handcrafted for comfort and playability in the Gibson Custom Shop. The construction, neck profile, hardware, and electronics are period accurate, and a special nitrocellulose finish treatment gives it the patina of a gently aged vintage guitar. Includes Gibson Custom Shop case and a certificate of authenticity.

End of catalogue schpeel....

LP2.jpg

And does it sound good? Why yes, it does.

13. greebo830

greebo830 TDPRI Member

Feb 23, 2009
    stockport
    My current Les Pauls

2012 Classic Custom
    [​IMG]

2014 Traditional
    [​IMG]

14. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2017
    Washington
    Just joined the club last weekend. 2017 Les Paul classic in Green Ocean Burst. Love the neck and it's nice to find humbuckers that respond to volume and tone controls like the '57 Classics.

Attached Files:

Minimalist518 and brookdalebill like this.

15. Xtyfighterx

Xtyfighterx Tele-Meister

Mar 2, 2018
    North idaho
    I have somewhat of a rare bird it’s an 2003 Korean Epiphone Les Paul standard with three pickups I’ve heard anywhere from 500-1500 made I’ve only ever seen 4 total in my research. My first guitar actually
    It’s a sweet axe and was my main guitar for along time
    78D71832-2226-4EAA-B1B8-11FBE59C2A00.jpeg

16. stratman54

stratman54 Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2016
    US
    My 2000 Epiphone Les Paul made in Korea. Got it cheap through CL. Plays and sounds great after I did a free level and crown, redid the wiring to 50s wiring and changed out the pickups.

1520046462681.jpg

cam.man67 likes this.

17. cam.man67

cam.man67 Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2015
    Frederick, MD
    Most recent pic:
    [​IMG]

Minimalist518 likes this.

18. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    Man, you could dive into that color, couldn’t you!

19. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2016
    Batavia, IL
    Ha that middle beast is sweet!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.