Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mesa Mark I build/clone?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by arielyitus, Oct 12, 2017 at 12:47 PM.

Tags:
  1. arielyitus

arielyitus Tele-Meister

May 4, 2016
    Clarkston, Mi
    Hello,

I can't get this idea of building a Sngle Ended Mark Iish amp. Just because I love the sound and I have the following spare parts:
    *18watt chassis
    *PT (One of those cheap transformers used in the VHT 18 Watters)
    *15 Watt Single Ended OT
    *2 6V6s
    *Bunch of 12AX7s

I was wondering if anyone has experience building Mark Iish amps? I am interested in schematic/layouts and any useful tips.

Also I know the original is push pull but in order to use my SE Transformer I would be having 2 6V6s in parallel.

I have found some very poor quality schematics so far, any help is greatly appreciated

2. justin.ramsey

justin.ramsey Tele-Holic

Jun 3, 2009
    Northern, KY
    I don't know if it will sound like a mark. That's a very specific drive sound and the single ended design I don't think would be the best approach. And a small 18 watt chassis is going to be a tight fit for the necessary circuitry for that preamp

3. arielyitus

arielyitus Tele-Meister

May 4, 2016
    Clarkston, Mi
    Yeah, may be the single ended will radically affect the tone.

Do you think the chassis will be too small? I think the original Mark 1 has 2 preamp tubes, one PI and 2 power tubes, or 4 power tubes?

4. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    I'd say at least punch out the holes for 6V6's. The first mesas were modified fenders.

telemnemonics likes this.

5. Fiat_cc

Fiat_cc Tele-Meister

Oct 8, 2016
    Melbourne, Australia
    I thought the original Mark was built on a Princeton chassis, so I'd think an 18 watt chassis should be plenty.

telemnemonics likes this.

6. Il Duce

Il Duce Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2013
    NYC
    Don't know if this'll help, but here's a hand drawn schematic I downloaded from the net for the Mesa S.O.B. which is quite similar to the Mark I.

sobSchm.gif

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    An OT is pretty cheap in the whole build cost, I'd just make a 20w push pull.
    I doubt you could make a SE power section sound like a MK1, but maybe you have ideas for how to alter the circuit to do that?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.