Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD 1995 Fender MIM Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by bh1812, Mar 10, 2018.

1. bh1812

bh1812 Tele-Meister

Jun 23, 2013
    Florida
    Arrived yesterday. Has Fender locked tuners, fender stamped bridge, a pretty good ding in the bottom which GC never mentioned. The tone knobs seem very unresponsive, I can hardly tell a difference with playing through the Marshall DSL or the Fender Mustang III. The neck is a thinner radius, 7.25? than my 2013 Amercian Standard strat and 2004 MIM standard strat. The pickups are all different. Not sure if they are stock or not but the bridge pickup handles gain differently than the middle pickup, etc etc. Bottom line: She's a Keeper!! Will get her to a tech guy soon. Action is really good on the neck, though could be lowered. All in all in sounds better through the Fender Mustang than the Marshall, and the pickups do sound bright, especially since the tone knobs are pretty ineffective, is that a POTs thing? Also, the bridge is so tight I cannot get any tremolo out of it. I am not a DIY guy at all. Suggestions, input, always appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Otis Fine and S-arm like this.

2. bh1812

bh1812 Tele-Meister

Jun 23, 2013
    Florida
    Oh yeah, here is a pic of the Ding

[​IMG]

Otis Fine likes this.

3. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    That is quite a little "ding". Did that possibly happen in shipping instead of GC failing to mention it? I would immediately check on it as GC should have disclosed that.

The locking tuners were a nice plus and she is a good looking instrument and I rarely see anything except white or black in '95 models so that is a plus as well. The neck radius should be the 9.5 that year and I don't recall there being any other options available.

As for tone knob....sounds like a pot issue, would have that checked / replaced as needed. If you decide that you don't like the ceramic pickups and since the pot is suspect, look at Sigler Music for a loaded pickguard of your choosing. They are my favorites and come well loaded with the good stuff and super easy to install for the DIY'er.

bh1812 likes this.

4. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    The tremolo issue may just be that someone tightened the screws for the trem springs down a lot so that the bridge is laying flat against the body.

Should be an easy fix, hard to tell from the pictures but the bridge pickup looks like it may be alnico.
    If someone changed pickups out they may not have wired the tone pot correctly. It should do something.
    I don't know that I've seen a sunburst MIM Strat other than the 50's 60's RIs, it looks nice.

That is a bad ding but it's on the back, and could be touched up some to not be as noticeable.

Milspec and bh1812 like this.

5. ickylick

ickylick Tele-Meister

Jan 21, 2011
    New York
    I have a close friend who use to work at GC as a Manager.. that "ding" isn't considered a "ding" in their books, which should have been disclosed to you from the start. You should notify them to see if they'll credit you some of your money back.

All in all, cool guitar~ she looks good.

Milspec and bh1812 like this.

6. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    That’s a nice guitar. I’ve become a huge fan of these early MIM guitars. I think they’re great value for the money.

I like the upgraded tuners and I really like the OEM bridge and bent saddles. I upgraded my early 90’s MIM cast saddles to those ones and they look great and sound great too. The bridge plate on those MIM guitars are as good as any and I’m absolutely certain you’ll be able to float it and keep it in tune. It’s probably just got all springs on it, with the claw cranked up. Your tech shouldn’t have a problem floating it.

According to that brochure I uploaded to that other thread of yours, the Standard in the mid 90’s has a 7.5” radius fretboard.

I wonder what’s going on with the tone controls... I’ll bet it’s just a case of bad wiring. Depending on what you find under the pick guard, you might want to have new controls and wiring.

I find I twiddle the volume and tone knobs more on my Strats more than any other guitar. I’d be tempted to put in TBX tone controls and put the rear tone on the bridge pickup. I’ve got one of mine set up with tone on neck and bridge with the middle straight through without a tone stack. I find it provides more flexibility on the bridge and in between positions.

That ding was an unexpected surprise. I’m sure your guitar tech/luthier can touch it up, prevent it from getting further damage and make it less noticeable.

Happy New Guitar Day!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    bh1812 likes this.

7. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    I thought Fender went with 9.5 radius after CBS sold out in the mid-80's. I know some of the signature and RI models might be different, but without measuring my '95, I think the 9.5 should be the radius. I guess I need to pull out that Strat and look...it has been several months since it made the rotation.

Definitely talk with GC, glad to hear they would not ignore that damage by policy, so either they failed or else the shipper owes you. It will be FAR easier to get some adjustment from GC than getting anything out of the shipper, but it will be worth the attempt either way.

The good part is that ding is in the outer rim which is black, so a little filler and paint would hide it really well if desired.

8. bh1812

bh1812 Tele-Meister

Jun 23, 2013
    Florida
    Great input and information! I called GC and they are refunding $$. Guy is checking with his manager and very apologetic about the damage. The nut width on the neck may be what is the difference,not the radius. That's great news about floating the bridge and I will have the damage touched up so not to incur further damage, but you don't notice it at all. Once the tech checks under the hood I will know more about the wiring, pots and PU's and will report back. I am dying for a dark red tortoise shell pick guard with aged pick up covers. I have always wanted Fender Pure Vintage '65 pickups too, so we will see. Thanks everyone!!

ickylick likes this.

9. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    From what I’ve read, the 90’s were a weird time for fenders and particularly the MIM Stratocaster. They advertised fret board radiuses from 7.5” to 10”, depending on the model. My 94 has a 10” radius according to the spec sheet and the gauge I downloaded and cut from card stock seems to substantiate that claim.

EDIT: Here’s that mid 90’s brochure I mentioned. The Standard is described in the lower left column of the first page.

94F5CE2C-8FF8-42DF-86E4-7D3EFC5FA5C4.jpeg 429CEB5C-B790-4964-BA2D-1E8A78BBD5A1.jpeg

10. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    Interesting...I know they were using 12's late in the CBS era, but I really thought everything standard was 9.5 starting in '85. Now I am going to have to go and pull out the radius guides to check my '95 MIM and '96 Strat-Plus. I am not a big bender and play mostly rhythm so I am not really sure if I would notice a great deal of difference between the two...still very curious now.

11. 5595bassman

5595bassman Tele-Holic

Oct 4, 2009
    Montreal Canada
    As on this one?

Fender Strat HW1 3TSB USA 2008 (4).JPG Fender Strat HW1 3TSB USA 2008 (6).JPG

This is one of my Partcasters. 2008 Highway One neck and electronics in a Mim 2007 body, "F" '70s style tuners, PG & Trem cover of unknown origin but probably Fender.
    I acquired it as is from a guy I know who did not like the matte finish of the original body.

Happy NDG!

bh1812 likes this.

12. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 7, 2009
    Reading, Massachusetts
    Happy NGD. Nice Birdseye on that headstock.

Don’t be afraid to mess with this, even if you’re not a DIYer; these were designed to be adjusted at user level. Especially the trem; that’s an easy one. Resetting the springs or loosening the claw screws takes no aptitude at all.

I’ve got a MIM Jbass from around the same era; great quality.

bh1812 and awasson like this.

13. beagle

beagle Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2010
    Yorkshire
    95 MIM Standard was 9.5" with small frets. Mine had a pretty skinny C neck.

bh1812 likes this.

14. bh1812

bh1812 Tele-Meister

Jun 23, 2013
    Florida
    That's what I think i have here. Got the guitar back from the tech guy. He had to shave 6 frets to lower the very very high action, whoever swiched out the pu's did the wiring incorrectly (he explained to me what it was but i forgot) so he rewired and now the tone knobs respond and the pickups sound a ton better. He said that the pu's are not stock but they are not marked either; they have cloth wiring, sound warm and "jangly", very clean sounding. The tremolo/bridge is too big to float, he says it cannot be stock for that guitar because it barely fits so I basically have a hardtail until I decide to switch the bridge out....bridge is stamped Fender. Also, the tech confirmed the body and neck are both MIM Fender (I was concerned that it may have been a Squier body). I played it about an hour last night and really love it but I do want a floating bridge. So, when the time comes for the tortoise shell pickguard and aged white covers/knobs, I will have a bridge switched out.

15. bh1812

bh1812 Tele-Meister

Jun 23, 2013
    Florida
    That's the look I am after, 5595! (-:

16. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver

Can you post a photo of the bridge from the backside of the guitar, with the cover off? That is a very odd comment about the bridge being too big to float. As far as I know, the lenght/width of the tremolo Block opening on Fender guitars is standard (except for the enclosed ones from the early 80’s). My 94 MIM, Fender “Squire Series” Strat has about the most questionable body Fender was putting out at the time and I’ve had no problem switching out the skinny tremolo Block for a full size one with full floating.

17. bh1812

bh1812 Tele-Meister

Jun 23, 2013
    Florida
    I will give it a shot awasson when I get home tonight.
    Thanks

awasson likes this.

18. bh1812

bh1812 Tele-Meister

Jun 23, 2013
    Florida

19. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

Apr 2, 2010
    Erin Prarie, WI
    Did the tech mean it has a USA fender bridge? Aren’t those wider than MIM/Squier/import size, so maybe he means it’s hitting the sides of the rout, rather than front-to-back “too big”?
    I had a Squier that I had to widen the opening on the top of the body, to install a large-block tremolo on.

bh1812 likes this.

20. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Looking at the photo, it doesn’t really make sense to me that the bridge can’t be set up for full floating. In other words so you can pull the pitch up and down.

It does make sense to me that it sounds great... that Alder body and rosewood board is a combination for beautiful tone. It probably sounds as good unplugged as it does plugged in.

Regarding the bridge, the tremolo Block in that guitar is the small one used on the 90’s MIM guitars so there should be plenty of room but in order for that guitar to float, you’ll need to remove a couple of springs. I’ve got both of mine floating, using 3 springs and with the claw backed out the appropriate position to allow it to float properly. Here’s a photo of my 94 Strat with a full sized tremolo Block.

Here’s a photo of the original tone Block, set for full floating. Quite a difference in the body route between your MIM Standard and my Squire Series. 94/95 Mexico didn’t have a factory for manufacturing so the bodies and necks came from elsewhere.
    668DB26A-E07E-4617-90C6-BD18D1170C22.jpeg

Here’s a photo with the full size upgraded Block
    70C90487-7660-4333-AF20-29B940DFA42C.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    bh1812 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.