Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NGD 1995 Fender MIM Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by bh1812, Mar 10, 2018.

1. beagle

beagle Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2010
    Yorkshire
    So the rumour mill has it. The 95 MIM body is poplar with alder caps and the sunburst looks distinctly odd, mine did anyhow. :) The bridge floated ok though, and once the nut had been replaced it stayed in tune.

bh1812 likes this.

2. bh1812

bh1812 Tele-Meister

Jun 23, 2013
    Florida
    I'm not sure what the "claw" is, lol. But do you think from looking at this picture that this is the bridge that came with the guitar. It seems to me that it would be. And also just to be clear, this could be a full Floating Bridge with just taking out 2 Springs?

Thanks

3. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    The claw is the part opposite to the bridge that the springs are hooked onto. It has those two long screws used to adjust tension on the springs. That looks like the tremolo that I would expect to see in that guitar.

In order to float that type of tremolo I’ve had good success with the following process

1. I’ve removed all springs and removed the strings
    2. Then I’ve adjusted the 6 screws so that the tremolo Block can move all the way forward and back. I use the 2 outside screws to adjust tension so that it rocks but so that it isn’t loose and sloppy. Then I install the 4 inside screws about 1/4 turn higher than the outside ones. That way they don’t interfere with the settings of the outside screws.
    3. Then I install 3 springs, install the strings and tune up to pitch.
    4. Once the guitar is tuned to pitch, I check the back of the bridge plate to see if it is flat or slightly raised. I want it to be raised about 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch so that I can rock it in both directions. If it is still flat against the body, I’ll back out the screws that hold the tremolo “claw”. It’s a little tedious as I’ll give each screw half a turn out, tune back up to pitch, check the bridge plate and repeat until it’s where it needs to be.
    5. I also lube the nut so that the stings glide nicely. I’ve been using cocoanut oil on all my guitars for a few years with good success. I oil and clean the rosewood fretboard with it as well. I put some on, let it soak in for 5 or 10 minutes and wipe it off.
    There are a few good articles about setting up floating tremolo bridges on the web. It’s not all that difficult to do as long as the bridge is in relatively good condition. Yours should keep pretty good tune with those locking tuners too. I’ve got split shaft tuners on mine and it stays in pretty decent tune. I don’t tend to do dive bomb whammy bar stuff, just Stevie Ray Vaughan type warbling from time to time.

I think @beagle is right about the Poplar with an Alder cap on those sunburst guitars. As far as I can tell my 94 is straight Poplar. It’s quite a soft wood.

bh1812 likes this.

4. bh1812

bh1812 Tele-Meister

Jun 23, 2013
    Florida

5. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    It looks to my like your guitar guy has set the tremolo so that it can lower the pitch and then comes back to a flat position. That’s sometimes called a “decked tremolo”. It’s a very common way to set them. I would think that using it the way it is set up should be fine as long as there isn’t too much tension on the springs. I’ve seen tremolo bars bend from too much tension when they are set up that way. It should be apparent whether it has too much tension.

That’s a great guitar you’ve got there and it came with some great upgrades.

bh1812 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.