Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Night terrors.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jakedog, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Not to get too personal, but I've suffered from them all my life. Since early childhood. Not every night, but more frequently as I get older. Some are re-occurring, some are one time deals, but always awful. I've tried therapy, drugs, all kinds of stuff. Nothing helps. Every time I don't have one for awhile and think maybe I'm done, they come back with a vengeance.

I hate them. I really do. It means I sleep, and hard, but get no rest. And sometimes, like last night, it happens while I'm on tour, which means nobody gets any rest.

I woke up this morning feeling like I got mauled by a panther, which is what happened in my sleep, (that was new one) only to have everybody in a foul mood because I thrashed, screamed, mumbled, and freaked out most of the night and was damned near impossible to wake up. Every time I did wake up, I fell right back asleep and it picked up where it left off.

Hoping to sleep better in the van today.

Not looking for advice or sympathy really. Just need to vent. I really wish there was a way to just make this stuff stop. It was so real I can still feel it two hours after waking up. The fear is so tangible when I wake up from one of these it's all I can do not to hurl.

Bruxist and mnutz like this.

2. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 18, 2013
    West O' Philly, PA
    Were your ever tested for sleep apnea?

nojazzhere, rcole_sooner and Jakedog like this.

3. Jakedog

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Yep. I'm good there.

4. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    @Stringbanger may have a point - those two issues dance hand in hand sometimes -and sometimes they are unrelated.

I wish you well - my daughter had these when she was younger, but she seems to have grown out of it. Not fun for us, and much less so for her. I cannot even imagine.

Ugh - typed all this, was checking it / correcting it / grammar checking, and say you replied. Ah well...

Jakedog likes this.

5. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Wait a sec, a musician whose tried drugs? There’s no shame, in a William Tele Overture ;)
    Seriously, casting out those demons through your art’s the way to go

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Honest Charley and Jakedog like this.

6. Frank'n'censed

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017

7. joealso

joealso TDPRI Member

Dec 25, 2012
    East Haddam, CT
    Sorry you're going through this. Don't know if this will help but my son suffered from night terrors too and I taught him about lucid dreaming. Look it up. It's not hard.

That was about 10 years ago and he told me recently that he still employs it to this day by turning his "monsters" into fluffy one-eyed purple specs that he can stomp on - you get the picture.

Good luck

Jakedog likes this.

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I had dreams for years of battling to the death with mythical monsters that could not be killed.
    Usually I would have some sort of sword and would chop off their limbs, but their limbs would reattach or grow back.
    But oddly I didn't get upset by it, never woke up screaming or distressed.
    My wife yells out in her sleep, always reliving old childhood family fights.
    These days I'm in some amount of real life difficulty and am having dreams of losing home and possessions sort of scenarios.
    Those are more distressing than being eaten alive.
    My wife has said she hears me cursing in my sleep lately, but I have no memory of cursing in dreams.
    Crazy human existence.

wayloncash, mnutz, ce24 and 1 other person like this.

9. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2014
    Vancouver, WA
    That sucks, man. I have a lot of anxiety dreams but nothing like that. One of my daughters had similar issues when she was younger but seems to have mostly grown out of it.

Jakedog likes this.

10. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10
    50+ years of symbolically balancing on a knife edge and falling dreams and noisy awakenings. Then I had double carotid surgery and I quit snoring. The dreams diminished at the same time?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    ab2012 and Jakedog like this.

11. troy2003

troy2003 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 30, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    I sympathize-I have them too but from war trauma. My son also has them. It sucks. He is actually more scary because it’s so vivid he sleepwalks
    Or will do bizarre things in his sleep. I’ve tried a lot of things, prayer works as good as anything but with no ill side affects

12. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    I think most people have experienced bad dreams and night terrors as kids and less often as adults, but you seem to suffer seriously.

Non medical advice here: Would you read a book before sleeping (like half an hour)? It helps most of the people to rest, and sometimes it translates into dreams. Good or bad... But it may be better to have those dreams related to a known reading, than coming from "nowhere". Choose wisely your book, I recently read a book about serial killers (The Roots of Evil by Maurice G. Dantec and had some very bad nights)...

troy2003 and Jakedog like this.

13. Jakedog

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    I actually do this frequently. Since my hospitalization last year, and my ongoing battle with panic and anxiety, I've gotten a LOT of help from books on meditation, and Buddhist philosophy. I often read these before bed, especially if I've had an especially bad day where my issues are concerned. They seriously help me to focus and find my center, calm me down and help me sleep. But they don't seem to have any bearing on whether or not I get hit with a night terror. That seems to be totally random.

tery likes this.

14. tery

tery Friend of Leo's

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    At least it is a dream ... at least you wake up .

xafinity likes this.

15. johnny k

johnny k Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2011
    France
    how can you scream during your sleep and it doesn t wake you up ? My own snoring wakes me up. Considering what LowCaster says, i agree with the book thingie.

16. Jakedog

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Which is what I always think when I wake up. Until that time, it really doesn't work that way.

tery likes this.

17. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Most popular guy in the van today, huh?

That sucks.

telemnemonics and Jakedog like this.

18. Frank'n'censed

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown

19. Jakedog

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Weird right? Unless you experience it, it's very hard to understand. Not only can I not wake up, it's almost impossible for somebody else to wake me up. It's the hardest thing in the world to pull out of. It's not like regular sleep. Best I can reckon is it's like I'm not sleeping. My brain is convinced that wherever I am I'm actually awake, and that what's happening is reality. It's not like a dream at all. It's entirely too real.

When I'm home, I have my wife to help. She's been dealing with it for over twenty years and has a formula. Sometimes it takes her a minute, and sometimes it takes her an hour, but she can usually pull me out. I eventually hear her and come back. I wish I had video. An old roommate filmed me once and it looked like something out of one of those paranormal activity movies. It's super messed up.

20. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    Sure that is unfortunately the nature of your problem, and I don't mean a miracle solution here, but my suggestion was about reading novels, not philosophy. Because, simply put, the stories feed your imagination, and could eventually interact with what's happening to you during the night. But don't expect nothing, just enjoy the reading.

aerhed and Jakedog like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.