Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Pressure Assisted Toilets

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    Anyone using one of these for home use?

Starting to see them a lot on higher end homes around here and thinking of getting one for us.

Only downsides seem to be the expense and the louder flush noise, but the noise seems tolerable and is over very quickly. As far as the expense, about $420.00 for the one I would get and we only need one and since they last for quite a long time I don't see the cost as unreasonable.. The pressure tank can be replaced for $120 should it need replacing.

Anyway, it seems much cleaner and efficient at its job than a normal gravity toilet.

Thoughts, experiences?

2. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    I see so many new toilets in my biz.

Rarely see the Sloan Flushmate though and was specifically told by a plumber when I first saw one "But why ? Have you seen how good the newer 1.6 gallon toilets are ?"

In the intervening years I have seen a bunch of the more recent standard 1.6's and I gotta tell you, so many of them evacuate the bowl so fast and so completely that I never thought about the Flushmates again. And they fill really quickly too...

I have a couple 5 gallon's from the 40's that I'm stupid for keeping now, and i never used to say that when the initial crappy (get it ?) 1.6's came out.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Chicago Matt likes this.

3. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I installed a new 1.6 gpf gravity toilet in the new house 2 1/2 years ago. Amazingly great efficiency with no clogging. I have always believed in the adage KISS, so going to a pressure flush system seems ridiculous to me. However, I suspect that if you plan to sell your house in the next 15 years, the pressure flush will be a good selling point, because it is all the hip rage. FWIW.

4. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Size matters when it comes to gravity toilets. The bigger 3" flapper in models like the Toto allow more water mass to help create a satisfactory flush.

The pressure assist are hard to beat. The condo where I worked had allowed them because they were so efficient and thorough at a successful flush. So many people got them that the noise finally made the management put a stop to installing them.

The alternative was the Toto style. Nearly as good...but way more quiet. If it were my residence I wouldn't think twice and get the pressure assist.

5. Brokenpick

Brokenpick Tele-Afflicted

Oct 29, 2008
    Dixie
    I'm so outta touch. I actually thought the power flush type toilets were a fading fad.
    We had a couple in our current house. One failed. The plumber said getting parts would be completely proprietary, and require dealing directly with the manufacturer. The thing was probably in the 10 year old category. There were questions about if repair parts could be obtained, and, of course, when.
    We replaced that one and one other with a non-powerflush type. $300-$400 price range. One of the ones that in the videos is shown to evacuate bowls full of toys and golf balls and crayons and playdough and marshmallows and other tidy, humorous, simulated crap.
    They work VERY well. No double flushing required, or anything like that- unless for a box of Ridex or something. Will they last 25 to 100 years like the old American Standard ones.... maybe not. But the design seems sound, and the Chinese repair parts are -at least for now- available and cheap in the local big box stores and on-line.
    The Powerflush was kinda fun though - echoing through the house, scaring the unwary user.... 'twas a feeling of real firepower!

6. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    We have granddaughters that can clog about any older toilet, even with the thinnest toilet paper we can find. They’ll use a roll in about two visits into the bathroom. With all four of them overnight it was kinda frustrating for the ‘chief plunger operator’.

I put in two big flapper toilets in our house, one a Jacuzzi and the other a brand I can’t remember. I put a plain old American Standard Cadet in our cottage main floor bath and told the kids to stay outta our master suite bath. A cadet will be going in that bath too in a couple months.

They’re under $200 and work well. No more Grandpa plunger calls.

7. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Chicago Matt likes this.

8. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    Best flushing toilet is from a brand called "Toto". They are hands down the top dog in that arena.

Joe Sailor likes this.

9. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    What you did there.... I saw it.

Milspec likes this.

10. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

Feb 4, 2009
    Phx, AZ

11. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    They outta put a warning on them. That hair trigger and massive whoosh always makes me jump.

12. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I totally WISH we had one in our house. I'd rather not explain why - let's just say that sometimes... okay, let's not. Never mind.

13. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    Oh, yeah. My toilet in the basement is one of those old 44 gallon per flush classics. That's a satisfying flush... VARRROMPH!

14. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2007
    St. Croix, USVI
    There are better units on the market. Parts are proprietary and relatively expensive. I'd 40% of my clients that had them three years ago have reverted to a newer standard flush toilet. Toto is great, with a few exceptions.

There are any number of videos about toilets being able to flush a dozen golf balls. The issue isn't getting it down the bowl but getting it through the drain line to the final destination, be it the septic tank or municipal sewer

Bill Cosby once said about things you never tell you kids you did when you were a kid, " I flushed a raincoat down the toilet. The trick is to go slow and take your time". Of course, having a 5 gallon flush didn't hurt

15. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    I'm going to wait until Toto's Dad confirms this.

Toto'sDad, william tele and Milspec like this.

16. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    I grew up in a converted country school house complete with fountains and toilets that that flush a horse. A family of 7 never got one to plug ever!

I miss those days.

17. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    2 Plungers not hidden..different hydraulic pressure capacities
    Yea, should think of modern technology

18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    When I had my hip surgery, I planned for it. Made some adjustments around the home twenty. One of the things I changed was I had a local plumbing company come out and install a 16-1/2" height Kohler 1.6 flush toilet. It wasn't really necessary, because my operation went better than expected, but I don't regret having the toilet changed in the master bath, because it FLUSHES. It has never encountered anything it couldn't handled in a single pull of the handle. If you can't get it all to go down with this thing, you probably should be going in a stall in a barn.

PS:

I went with what the plumbing company recommended. I hadn't even heard of the Toto model, if I had, you can rest assured my traveling buddy would have wanted one of those for sure!

19. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire

We have the pressure assisted model in our master bath. We didn't install it.

The first time I flushed it, it scared the hell out of me.:eek:

william tele and Toto'sDad like this.

20. oldgofaster

oldgofaster Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Dec 28, 2010
    Ohio
    I am a plumbing contractor. In our office of 7 men, we have the Gerber power flush and it gets a lot of use.

It Never clogs. Ever.

We've had it 8 years. Never been repaired. Ever.

Occasionally it leaves evidence, but only when the user doesn't flush right away. Reading or something?

It is not our best seller because of the price.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.