Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

School Me On Rockabilly Music

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by FenderGyrl, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Computer's acting up today......check out "Johnny Got A Boom-Boom" by Imelda May

2. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Yorkshire

Jeff + Darrell nailing it.

Kingpin and RetroTeleRod like this.

3. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    Ronnie Dawson with former member Tjarko Jeen on guitar.

4. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    Gene Vincent's guitarist Cliff Gallup is brilliant! Love me some rockabilly!
    As far as delay goes, a single repeat that comes in a split second after the original note nails the feel. (Delay times from 50 to 150ms.)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018

5. cigarman513

cigarman513 TDPRI Member

Mar 14, 2014
    Boston
    Shame on you all, your getting about the number one rockabilly group........

Johnny Burnette and the Rock n Roll Trio

He was the best

6. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2003
    ohio
    Get Danny Gatton's Elmira Street Boogie cd and the music book that goes with it. You'll be all set!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    FenderGyrl and RetroTeleRod like this.

7. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

Back when she was married to her guitarist Darrell Higham (Kat Men). She doesn't really do 'Billy any more but when she did she killed it!

8. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    I didn't realise that was why she seemed to have moved away from Rockabilly. Rockabilly isn't my main thing but I really liked her album that had this track on it.

6stringcowboy likes this.

9. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

That and T-Bone Burnett's influence as the only producer on Live Love Flesh Blood. One of the best voices I've ever heard!

10. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Saw a local good one recently..this was not the show..
    Twisting Tarantulas out of Detroit. Red Elvis's could also be considered
    but , I won't lol.

11. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Meister

Nov 1, 2017
    Helsinki, Finland
    No pedals, except the delay. "Red Repeat" is very nice for that. I've been a fan since the first revival hit on the 70's.
    The first "season" was very short. Started around -55 - -56 and already "went out of fashion" during 1957. Should I link something here? Well allright!

12. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Delay and a tuner.
    I like the Dan-Echo for old school degrading repeats.
    Doesn't sound digital to me.
    Funny about Rockabilly...Setzer reinvented it in his own image.
    Don't forget The Rockats!
    They were Setzers blueprint for the Stray Cats.
    And...Dibbs Preston is just one of the greatest guys ever.

13. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Analog? Don't forget that, out of all the options available out there, Mr. Moore happily used a DD-3 for the last few decades of his life. It does the trick, and does it well. A slapback can actually benefit from the crispness of a digital delay.

RomanS, FenderGyrl and RetroTeleRod like this.

14. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta

to me, when I played in a rockabilly band.... I had a tuner, an old analog slap delay pedal... and a compressor which I used only as a lead boost. That and a tele and a fender deluxe.

Thats all I needed. Slap delay, set to taste. Some people like a whole swamp of it, some like it a little dryer.

Sure there are other ways to go... but if you listen to those old masters in all those youtubes... those guys didnt have a pedal at all.

One thing you will need to know.. the pedals are irrelevant. Picking is king. Practice practice practice. Some of this stuff is pretty damned difficult, especially if you are not used to playing loud and clean.

RetroTeleRod and LGOberean like this.

15. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I like the real thing, the old stuff. I've played in a rockabilly band. No pedals. A delay for slapback is fine, but it was a novelty in rockabilly, not the staple people seem to think. But if you want to sound like certain popular records, get a slapback. Any delay will work. Messing with any other pedals, even overdrive imo, will just take you away from the sound you want.
    A fully hollow archtop with a single coil pickup helps a lot.

16. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Meister

Nov 1, 2017
    Helsinki, Finland
    I've posted this before (somewhere), but this is really the topic for this, if any:
    (How to get that rockabilly sound)

17. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Buddy Holly!! If Gene Vincent gets a nod, then surely Buddy Holly is in there.

Four pages, and he doesn't get a mention? This place is slipping.

RetroTeleRod likes this.

18. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Yorkshire
    Whatever you do, make it your own!.
    There's much fun to be had taking a song you really like and stamping your uniqueness on it.

Bless him. Wilko can't do the picking thing, so he does what he can. Not everyone's cup of tea.

The picking in the original is awesome.

FenderGyrl and elihu like this.

19. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    The main lesson here is, Rockabilly was more diverse than it has become.
    There were few rules. Everybody was looking for their own sound.
    And delay was something that happened in the studio.
    When these guys played live, they plugged straight in.
    They also played Les Pauls, Teles, Strats...
    I love Setzer and think he's a total virtuoso, but much of his stuff hearkens back to a time that never existed.
    His playing is much more advanced than most of the original guys and he's spawned the formula of Gretsch+blonde bassman+delay+upright bass= THE way to play Rockabilly.
    Very different from where Link Wray, for instance, took it with Robert Gordon.
    Cliff was Jazz, Eddie was Blues.
    It was a great period in music.
    It does chafe me a bit that Rockabilly seems to mean "the White guys" but I suppose Black folks seldom get called hillbillies.
    My forays into Rockabilly have always taken a more Rock and Roll approach and included Chuck, Richard, Richard Berry, Larry Williams and even Louis Jordan, Roy Brown, Wynonie Harris, Arthur Crudup, Pee Wee Crayton, etc...who had a big influence on the early 'billies.

20. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    Everybody here seems to be commenting on "how do you get that sound and that tone" and to me, thats NOT what rockabilly is.

Ever heard Poison Ivy from the Cramps? thats some killer "rockabilly" guitar yet its, at times anyway, pretty far from the traditional sound.

To me, its more about the playing aspect of it, than the tone. any rig set up to get more of a surf sound, will do. You can add delay to satisfy yourself or the purists or whoever, but even that isnt necessary. Listen to how crazy overdriven some of the other modern guys got. Horton Heat, Billy Zoom of X...

Back in the day, the "authentic sound" was whatever guitar you had, jacked straight into whatever guitar amp you had, turned up pretty hot, and the delay came from the console.

So I wouldnt worry about it so much. Get a good clean LOUD sound, add some delay if you want, I did, it was fun... and then start learning how to PLAY this stuff. In your own way. Never hurts to start trying to peel apart some of these fun licks the old masters used, but you're going to find yourself deep into all kinds of country-travis-meets-blues-swing stuff happening.

Just do your own thing.

3fngrs, RomanS, FenderGyrl and 3 others like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.