Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

School Me On Rockabilly Music

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by FenderGyrl, Mar 12, 2018.

1. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Meister

Nov 1, 2017
    Helsinki, Finland
    There were many, who "tried to be rockabilly", when it came and it was a new thing. Many were even pretty good at it. Grady Martin was of course a big part of it, playing in the "Nashville A-team" backing up many many singers like Johnny Burnette, Roy Hall, Johnny Horton etc. Was Buddy Holly a rockabilly artist? Well yes, in those few songs that he recorded at Bradleys barn Nashville, and Grady Martin on the guitar once again.
    I've read that when Gene Vincent got his chance to record with the A-team, Cliff Gallup played one intro and those guys on the studio took and put their guitars in their cases and said that they won't be needed that day...

2. DougF

DougF Tele-Meister

Nov 7, 2004
    Southern Minnesota
    Holly was a great early rock and roller but I wouldn't say the majority of his work would be considered rockabilly.

3. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Holic

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    I'm not sure you even need one! Rockabilly guitar players seem to focus more on delivering an energetic performance than looking down and fiddling with pedals. In fact in many of the videos posted so far I didn't see a single pedal on the stage at all!

4. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 12, 2008
    Houston
    Go see the Delta Bombers live, they tour constantly. I've seen them twice and they are great. Once, I saw them on a rainy weekday night at the Continental Club. They played to about 50 people, but they performed like it was packed

IMG_0760.JPG

FenderGyrl and Mr. Lumbergh like this.

5. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Nov 14, 2003
    Kittery, Maine
    One of my favorites - Joe Clay. This one has Mickey Baker on guitar. Scorches.
    Check out all his stuff!

RomanS likes this.

6. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 12, 2008
    Houston
    Johnny Horton should get more Rockabilly cred than he does

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    RomanS likes this.

7. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Meister

Nov 1, 2017
    Helsinki, Finland
    Deke Dickerson "treats nicely" the old stuff. I've seen him use Red Repeat too.

jonnyfez and fendertx like this.

8. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I'm not one to "school" anyone else on Rockabilly. But it struck me as counter-intuitive to ask about the "Original stuff" while also speaking to the idea of a "Rockabilly pedal board." And others have already spoken to and confirmed my impressions that the effect used back in the day was tape echo/delay, and that was in the studio. Live they plugged straight in. And the guitar players of Rockabilly (Carl Perkins, Scotty Moore, Eddie Cochran, Bill Haley, et al.) in the early to mid 1950s were using guitars with P-90s, and I'm sure in some cases teles.

Now I'm one to take a minimalist approach anyway; I haven't really gotten into pedals. I almost always perform plugged straight in. And though I don't do Rockabilly shows, per se, I throw in some early Elvis, Perkins, Haley and Cochran. Plugged straight in, with my teles. One of my teles has a P-90 in the neck position, a la Eddie Cochran.

9. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    The majority isn't rockabilly, but he has a lot of songs that sound like Gene Vincent.

10. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

Mar 7, 2013
    wild west

11. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

Mar 7, 2013
    wild west

12. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

Mar 7, 2013
    wild west

13. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2018
    Waxahachie, TX.

14. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

Mar 7, 2013
    wild west

15. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2010
    North Alabama
    My current band is pretty Rockabilly(prob 60%) as it’s the leader/guitarist/singers fav genre. We do some Stray Cats, Gene Vincent, Johnny Burdette, Southern Culture on the Skids, Rev Horton Heat, to name a few. (I play upright bass) But we also do a bit of surf, Americana type country, and 60s rock. We’re doing pretty well and gaining a local following with a cross section of young and old. Primarily I think because the music has energy and is very danceable.
    Here’s the obligatory brick wall photo.
    C82BA910-319A-41F2-8B86-D60D19A1196F.jpeg

RomanS, RetroTeleRod and william tele like this.

16. teleforumnoob

May 25, 2010
    North Alabama

17. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Meister

Nov 1, 2017
    Helsinki, Finland
    Yes, the slap back was made in the studio, but there were also amps with tapedelay. Scotty Moore bought one 1955.
    http://www.scottymoore.net/echosonic.html

And please, stop linkin Johnny Burnette videos - they are just ridiculous. Those recordings are just pure dynamite, but those few videos with "whatever" song, they are horrible...

18. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    From what I've seen and read, Strats were actually more highly represented than Teles in the genre. Roland Janes, Buddy Holly, Ronnie Dawson...

LGOberean likes this.

19. teleforumnoob

May 25, 2010
    North Alabama
    Our guitarist started with a Cabronita w Bigsby, went to a Pro Jet, and has finally settled on a good ol Mex Strat. Into a Hot Rod Deluxe. Pedals are OCD, and an old Dano Tremelo and delay. Nothing fancy at all.

But if you want to get boutiquey this guys stuff is the bomb.
    https://www.thenocturnebrain.com/

Also this looks very nice
    9EB403B4-6770-42AC-843E-80CE615829EA.jpeg

FenderGyrl and 6stringcowboy like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.