Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

School Me On Rockabilly Music

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by FenderGyrl, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2008
    Sedalia, MO
    I just recorded an album with a strong ‘billy influence. It is on Spotify, ITunes, etc, but you can listen here:
    https://acrev.hearnow.com/

I’d love to know what y’all think.

Mark

2. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2008
    Sedalia, MO
    AC used a Gretsch and a Tele mainly and I used a couple Hamers mainly with a smattering of other guitars where appropriate.

3. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2014
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    Watch this video....

Is very interesting what happens around minute 2:20...

BooneDog and 3fngrs like this.

4. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta

that was interesting, but, in one way proves the point I tried to make. James Burton did not use this guys "rockabilly approved guitars" on the Ricky Nelson recordings. He used a straight up tele, at least thats what I've been led to believe. Sure sounds like it.

Again, in my opinion, its not about gear or tone. Its about playing it, getting somewhere near the ballpark of the approved "sound" and then, if you want to, like Poison Ivy or Billy Zoom or a zillion other people, take it someplace else.

My advice for someone interested in learning rockabilly: have one ear open to the purists. They have good advice. But keep your other ear open to other points of view.

RetroTeleRod likes this.

5. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    For anyone wanting to get their feet wet with Rockabilly, this excellent book by Fred Sokolow gives a great foundation on the various techniques.
    [​IMG]

6. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    I definitely agree with that. And my advice would be to not even look for "Rockabilly" instruction at first. I think it's really helpful and greases the rails of someone gets a really solid hold on Travis picking, instead. That gets you more than halfway there, IMO.

7. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I saw the T-armond, but its pricey and I know I like the 2000s because I have a set in my 5120. One could buy a blank P90 cover and make something really slick, but I know I'd never drill 12 holes just right so I cut a window out and I'm happy enough.
    Both pickups are fully height adjustable, so balance worked.
    I have foam under the dyna because it was too fiddly trying to get springs under there.
    I was hoping to get springs in because I thought it might help get some microphonics, which I like.
    The dyna is flipped to get the poles closer to the bridge and that does make a bit of difference.
    The sound isn't muddy/woofy and sounds extremely cool.
    I'm looking for another pickup for the bridge, but I'm not in a big hurry because it sounds good as is.
    Middle position is great and, although I find it fiddly on Gibsons and tend to wire them with a master volume and tone; the ability to blend the 2 pickups really pays off.

8. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    Learn to pick ghost notes. That is the secret sauce.

9. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

Oct 19, 2005
    Bowling Green, KY
    Although I've played for a couple of Nashville artists, I've really been considered a rockabilly player, for the past 35 years. Although I own some nice Gretsch guitars, my favorite guitar for rockabilly is a PRS Starla.

I also collect rockabilly vinyl, CD's and DVD's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    FenderGyrl and RetroTeleRod like this.

10. Chmason85

Chmason85 TDPRI Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Philadelphia/Louisville
    Did you find your Gibson neck P90 too dark? Mine seems that way no matter what I do, the best so far is pickup down/poles up. Love that bridge pickup though!

11. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I've been gigging P90s since 1982 and have never understood the too dark neck P90.
    This is what tone controls on amps are for.
    Of course, I seldom use bridge alone and mainly switch between N and N/B, so if I crank the treble and/or presence, I don't have to worry about hurting people when I switch to the bridge.
    When I do, I roll of the treble on the guitar.
    It's not mysterious.

12. Jersey Joe

Jersey Joe TDPRI Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Jersey
    Yep, loving the Rockabilly. I like a 59 Bassman RI with these two pedals: Echotone_1_web.jpg barber-burn-unit.jpg
    Good luck with your quest! Joel

13. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    I don’t get it either. I set my amp to sound good with the neck pickup, which generally means that I keep the tone knob on the treble pickup at about 4.

For me, that balances great and the neck pickup is anything but woofy or dark.

14. Jersey Joe

Jersey Joe TDPRI Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Jersey
    I forgot to say in my post just now, that you might want to check out this website, https://www.thenocturnebrain.com/ its great for Rockabilly related pedals and amps. Cheers, Joel

RetroTeleRod likes this.

15. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin

Oh! My precious pearls!

16. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Fred Sokolow was my teacher about 10 years ago in LA! Worked out of McCabe's in Santa Monica. What a great dude.

RetroTeleRod likes this.

17. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Tele-Holic

Oct 22, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    FenderGyrl,

FYI, the "Viva Las Vegas Rockabilly Weekender" -- the world's largest and most respected annual Rockabilly festival -- celebrates its 21st consecutive year next weekend: http://www.vivalasvegas.net/.

VIVA21Advert5.5x8-web.jpg

Sidenote that may be of interest to some reading this thread: The Stray Cats will be reuniting there, on a triple headlining bill shared with Jerry Lee Lewis and Duane Eddy.

What's that, you ask? You bet I'm going...

FenderGyrl likes this.

18. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Now this sounds like a GREAT TIME !!!!
    Thanks for sharing this with us !!! ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.