Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Shocked to See Current D'Addario String Prices

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by PCollen, Mar 3, 2018.

1. PCollen

PCollen Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2010
    Man of the World
    I buy the 10 packs of D'Ad EXL110's. Went to order 2 new packs, and am shocked to see them now above $40. Last ones I bought were around $30.

2. SpaceMonkey

SpaceMonkey TDPRI Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Sweden
    It's still a really good price, but like you I got a little baffled last time I bought a ten pack. I guess all good things come to an end.

TwangyWhammy and RyCo1983 like this.

3. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    It's the price of steel!:twisted:

Sorry.:(

4. PCollen

PCollen Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2010
    Man of the World

I'd believe it, if the tarrifs were in effect yet.

Obsessed and lfc322 like this.

5. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    I noticed the same. Even around the holidays, the 10 packs didn't go on sale for $28-29 like they often do. I make use of online MF and GC 15% coupons, but they are US only.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018

6. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Holic

Nov 26, 2014
    London
    I was daft enough to buy a bass recently.

How much? I want to buy 4 strings, not a suspension bridge ....

545454, RiverDog, awasson and 7 others like this.

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Still the best, and best value strings, IMO.

8. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    Yeah, I noticed when it happened. Gotta wait patiently, and pounce when Musician's Friend has a sale or a coupon.

9. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    I get ‘em by subscription from Amazon (10-pack every quarter), and I haven’t seen the price rise yet. Guess I have something to look forward to!

10. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I recall their having problems from fakes. Some premium and specialty strings are popular. Maybe they're just getting or at least asking what they need for a good sustainable business.

I go back and forth on cheap vs premium strings. When I'm super busy I'll rationalize more expensive strings. Some just work well enough that I'll pay a premium. IIRC I noticed at some point in the past year that Mapes strings also went up and didn't see they still include spares. It could be across the board.

10-20% or more jumps in other things I consume worry me a lot more.

11. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Holic

Aug 25, 2016
    Funny, juststrings.com JUST sent me an email coupon for NYXLs - maybe the 'deal' is that they're on sale for what the price used to be? :D

I don't remember using D'Addarios - I'm sure I have, I've tried so many kinds of strings that my only problem is remembering which ones were good or not. But the word on NYXLs have been pretty good, so it was probably going to happen sooner or later.

12. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I also prefer D'Addario EXL110s, and I prefer to get them in 10 packs. Unlike others, I don't get them by subscription or online. I typically wait for local sales. The local GC posts "sales" for every conceivable holiday (President's Day, Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, St. Swithun's Day, whatever), and in the past have had the EXL110s on sale for the $30.

I've noticed lately that the D'Addario 10-packs aren't showing up as a sale item. The last time they did I bought two, so I'm still good. But $3 for a set of D'Addario strings is an incredibly good price, IMO. For almost a decade I've used them exclusively, and the quality has been wonderfully consistent. If that amazing deal becomes a thing of the past, I will still buy EXL110s, at $4 a set, they're still a good buy.

PCollen and Chicago Matt like this.

13. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    I just scored 4 sets of D'addario Chromes NIB for $10 off Craigslist, when I went to check the online price to gloat about my good fortune I was stunned to see they'd gone up to $15/set- they were $8 the last time I bought them a few years ago. That's edging in on Pyramid Gold territory ($22/set).

I generally play Whatever Blowout Deal I Can Find brand strings (still have a pile of Gretsch string sets and some Dean Markley "Hendrix" branded ones I picked up cheap, and it took me a few years to go through the box of Guitar Research ones I got for $1/set), but D'addario make a great product and I have to give props to their Customer Service department. I once got a pack without an E string, and they promptly sent me out a replacement string and a complete pack for my trouble.

If you're skint, Musician's Friend guitar strings are still only $2.29/set (9s and 10s only though), and $10 for bass strings.

14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I've noticed this too in the last couple of years.
    Used to be I'd buy boxes of ten around the holidays for $30.

But this has been going on for more than 20 years!
    What else costs the same as 20 years ago?

I just tried my first set of Ernie Ball a week or so ago.
    They seem great so far!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    studio1087 likes this.

15. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
    In EU we get them for 50 EUROS (at Thomann) so you should call yourself lucky...;)

Single packs cost 7 EUROS in Greece....

16. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    Seems a three pack is around $14.99 and the bargain is getting free shipping these days.

17. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Best price I've found, now at the new prices, or before at the lower prices, is Amazon Prime Subscribe & Save. 15% off, if you can wait until the scheduled monthly delivery. I plan ahead, so it's no problem.

When the price jumped, I looked elsewhere, and Amazon (with the discount) is still the cheapest. I just ordered a 10-pack for $38.24. Plus tax, of course. But even with our 6.5% state tax, it's still cheaper than anywhere else.

18. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Same here, and I think perhaps you're just not paying attention? I've seen a steady increase each quarter, from around $27, to the current $38, in the past year.

19. schmee

schmee Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Sorry to hear that. I used Diad's for years but find corrosion on the plain strings quite often. Went back to Ernie Balls a couple years ago which dont have that problem near as much. A few more cents per pack. Check out Dunlop, good strings at good prices.

20. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    Just curious how you're getting 15% off (unless you're doing the 5 items or more Subscribe and Save).

Probably worth noting it's only 5% if you subscribe as a single item.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.