Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Shocked to See Current D'Addario String Prices

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by PCollen, Mar 3, 2018.

1. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2009
    georgia
    About 5 or so years back, GC would put them on sale for 20.00 for a 10 pack in the store. They were packaged in 10 packs of just the plastic bags, not in the cardstock packs like you would buy them individually from a display rack. They would run out of those and then sell you the 10 packs of the “display boxes” for about 5 bucks more. Usually it was a Labor Day sale or some other holiday. I tried to get there early for the 20.00 boxes and they would only sell you 2 boxes per visit. Not sure if that was a company wide thing or just that particular store. I guess those days are gone.

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I always have five items on the list, so it's not an issue for me. But Amazon shows the discount label as 5%, 15%, for most items, meaning just what you're saying. However, the D'Addarios just show the 15% marker, implying to me that you get the full 15% for just one item. I thought it was odd, too. But as I say, I've never NOT had five items, so I haven't been able to test that.

3. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    Do you have a link? I wasn't even seeing the 5% or any subscribe and save for various D'Addarios

4. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    If you're buying a ten pack, you can probably justify buying two ten packs, just less frequently. That puts the price well over $50. Depending when you call, it's pretty easy to get 15% off "accessories" from MF, especially for $50 or more.

5. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Sorry, no. I just manage it from my S&S page. Since I don't see the ability to subscribe new, perhaps they'll tell me they can't fill it in a week, when they're prepping my shipment. We'll see.

6. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    I know that it's around for the Ernie Ball strings that I buy, and was considering getting a monthly S&S with a set

7. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2003
    Minnesota
    You think this is bad? D'addario Chromes (flats) for bass went from $27 to $40 for a 4-string set. New pricing was effective February 1st.

8. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Yep, everything made with or out of steel will go up for a while til the steel industry gets back on it's feet again.

9. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006
    I'm shocked, too. Strings were $6 a pack in the early '80s.

telemnemonics and Maricopa like this.

10. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

Feb 4, 2009
    Phx, AZ
    Try being flat wound 12s and then you'll know my pain....of course I change strings about 4X and year at best. ;)

11. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    I'll admit I'm just as guilty about b!tching over string prices, but...

Think about it...

Many of us spend multi thousands of dollars, often many times over, on our guitars...

And then we complain that a needed accessory increased in price by a couple of bucks...

Are we the guys who drive an $80K car and complains that gas went up $0.25?

12. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    It's a bit more pertinent when replacing string sets on 15 guitars 6-7 times per year, minimum. It's not the dollars... a 60% price increase is hefty no matter how you slice it.

13. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    Not an owner of 15, so I guess I don't feel the pain in the same way...

Apologies...

14. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2009
    georgia
    Same here. Thats a bit like owning a Ferrari and having a hard time coming up with cash for tires. I would probably pare down to a Corolla. “First world problem.”

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    Rustbucket and Pixies2005 like this.

15. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Watch the pennies, and the dollars take care of themselves... There's no fault in shopping for the best price on lower value items, just because you have plenty of money. Might be WHY you have plenty of money.

16. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2009
    innsmouth, MA
    at least you didn't have to pay the iron price.

dswo likes this.

17. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I know that pain. Two words: Thomastik-Infeld. Wait, is that one word or two?

18. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Yeah I too would be shocked to get 10 packs at $40 since they go for more than $60 here.
    First world problems

19. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    This is a bummer. I just looked around online. It's like a 30% price hike (compared to what I'm used to).

I'm used to walking in to big Guitar Center sales where they have a pile of D'Addario 10-sets as a loss leader ($25 or so).

I've tried other brands but for 40 years I've been a 98% D'Addario guy. I'll cherish the free shirts from the rewards program even more now. Price increase rebates!

20. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

45 bucks on Amazon. How retarded. Mfg prices just have not gone up that much. It's called greed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.