Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Shocked to See Current D'Addario String Prices

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by PCollen, Mar 3, 2018.

1. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I just bought some 10-46 nickel plated. I would have also bought some 80/20 12-56 (Bluegrass), but they were ... out of stock.

The best (bulk) pricing at webstrings.com ($2.74 per set) is comparable to what I used to get a D'Addario 10-pack for at Amazon (subscription). It's a much better deal now that D'Ad has raised prices. But, if as some say, the cause is rising material costs, then that gap should sadly narrow sooner or later.

A couple years ago, Maury's was selling Martin acoustic strings for $1.00 per pack. I bought a TON of 'em, but I wish I'd bought more. I'm running out.

2. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm lucky .. I hate new strings..... and use them until they get too rusty or break....:lol:

as far as I'm concerned it's metal over magnets that makes the sound, not how new your strings are......... :rolleyes:

Boubou likes this.

3. Censport

Censport Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2010
    Nashville/東京
    Well, dang. Wish I had known about that site before ordering a bow from my neighborhood store. Oh well, at least I'm supporting a local business.

Now to find sets for my 5-string Spector. It uses 45-66-80-100-120.

4. PCollen

PCollen Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2010
    Man of the World
    For that kind of money, I'd be looking for Elixirs that I can drink......

5. Censport

Censport Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2010
    Nashville/東京
    My local store has been saying "should be next week" for six weeks. Ordered 12 sets (I have a lot of guitars) from webstrings.com yesterday, shipped out the same day with tracking number. Should be here by the end of the week.

6. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Yup, I try to support the local businesses as much as possible too. Especially with personalized things like music and guitars. I really like the guys at the local small guitar shop. They’re just as accommodating if your buying strings or a new guitar and they play so they have experience in the very things I’m shopping for.

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Doesn't matter.

Price goes up when they talk about it.

Price goes up again when they announce it.

Price goes up again when the plan is implemented.

The price goes up again once the business community sees it has actually happened.

And price goes up when they abandon the tariff and go back to status quo ante.

awasson likes this.

8. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2016
    Well...strings aren't negotiable in the world of guitar, we must have them period.

And I attribute the price hike to the YouTubers... honestly

I mean (insert favorite YouTube guitar person) uses these strings I must have those now!

And it has mainly been D'addario that has saw the biggest increase...

I love the NYXL strings but over 10 bucks a pack is a bit absurd.

And for everyone who has probably said "strings haven't went up in so long..." the simple passage of time is no excuse!

I think the truth is guitar is seeing popularity it hasn't saw since the 80s...

And people are "cashing in"

But oh well, it won't stop me from Buying, and it won't stop the liars on YouTube from selling.

Life goes on, until it doesn't.

9. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2007
    Chicagoland
    D'addario are some of the worst strings possible. Anytime I buy a guitar I shudder when I see those colored ball ends.

10. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Anyone try those new NYXLs and like them? They feel pretty good but the wound strings sound like ****e.

11. Anita Bonghit

Anita Bonghit TDPRI Member

Oct 17, 2015
    Colorado
    I think everyone jumping on the MAP pricing bandwagon a few years ago is part of the problem. Manufacturers are making more money from dealers and at the same time are usually selling direct to consumers, in a way shooting themselves in the foot and pissing everybody off at the same time. I worked in the string biz for many years, lots of smoke and mirrors. I call it the new bleu flavor.

12. Censport

Censport Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2010
    Nashville/東京
    Yeah, my local store usually offers very good service. Every other week, I rent one of their lesson rooms and bring in my own instructor. They're totally fine with that. I suspect the strings thing is beyond their control.

awasson likes this.

13. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I sure hope so. I’ve been worried that it’s on its way down. I was thinking about it the other day. In order Guitar music to be successful, it needs to be exciting and unpredictable. It’s rare that I hear a guitar that is exciting or unpredictable in top 40 or any of the “popular” music genres.

14. PCollen

PCollen Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2010
    Man of the World
    Country music (if you can call it that anymore) is where the guitar is these days. I saw it coming in the late 90's.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.