Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Song lyric development ... a story.

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Obsessed, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I'm in the midst of winter recording in my new ... still roughed out, recording studio. I'm excited and sunk deep into the mode of recording. I have a collection of basic songs that I am working on. One such project is delightfully bluesy BB Kingish, but no lyrics have come to me for a few years ... until today. Deep winter has returned with lots of snow and cold weather and I thought a batch of chocolate chip cookies were just the thing for me to munch on up in the studio. What, only one egg and not enough butter? Okay, it is snowy and icy with a 1/2 mile of road that I roughly plowed yesterday over slick thick ice just to get to the 10 downhill miles of packed snow to town. Yup, I need those CCs, so off I went. I get stuck behind a caravan of cars following a truck pulling a trailer full of snowmobiles, so I'm crawling along when all of a sudden the lyrics for my song pop into my head about driving to town for eggs and butter. Bluesy in itself. I start singing multiple verses and a great chorus, maybe even a bridge and a full turn around. No recorder with me, can I keep it in my head until I get home? Yup, got it.:)

I'll bet you have similar stories of how this process has happened to you. Care to share?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Skub and hamilcaster like this.

2. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    If Stevie and Lonnie had the Oreo cookie blues, I see no reason you can't have the Chocolate chip cookie blues:)

Obsessed likes this.

3. Obsessed

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Good one, thanks. I am inspired even more. Here is the Oreo Cookie blues and check out those SRV slide licks:

Nickadermis likes this.

4. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    Those guys always seemed to have fun together.

Obsessed likes this.

5. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Meister

One night I got lost and ended up in the dock area of a nearby town, in the projects. People there live out on the street. I can tell you there was fiery hate in every eye I encountered. I turned around and headed back to a fire station I'd seen on the way in to ask directions. There there was a poker game going on just insde the engine bay. The moment I stopped, a fireman asked me (I'm a white guy), "Bud, what are you doing in this part of town?" I told him I was lost. He pointed back where I'd come from and said, "Don't come back here unless you have a gun."

It's now a blues song.

I recently started a writing exercise and was casting about for a subject when I remembered an essay I'd written about meeting and courting my wife. You can read that story on my website, HERE. A recording of the song is available at the end of the page. And there's a link to a page about the recording process as well.

Bob

Deeve, Obsessed and suthol like this.

6. Obsessed

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Wow. Yup, I can see how an experience like that could inspire a song. I'll check out your website. Thanks.

Bob Womack likes this.

7. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Texas
    Reminds me of a story a friend used to tell about when he and another friend went to Mexico in his VW bus - this was long ago and they weren't going to visit Acapulco... Anyway, they were driving around in some more remote area and got pulled over by the Federales or something like that who proceeded to search their vehicle thoroughly. When they finally were done, they asked my friend where their guns were. Hippie-ish friend said "We don't have any guns," which got a response from the law of "Are you crazy?" (And this was long before people started losing their heads down there.)

Obsessed likes this.

8. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Ad Free Member

Nov 28, 2004
    Mint Hill, NC
    Rarely do I get a full-blown lyrics satori; it often takes me weeks or even months to fully solidify my concept. I firmly believe that songs have a mind of their own and will tell you when your approach is clicking. ... I'll wrestle with one angle for a week, bag it and try another angle, and on and on.

But some years ago, I was riding the lawnmower and musing on the apocalyptic nature of current events. I'm a sucker for a good apocalypse yarn! And the line "Preacher, whatcha gonna tell them people now" popped into my head. A hook! So I shut down the mower, ran for a pen and pad, and the whole thing gushed out in one sitting. It's pretty rustic, because I was just then getting the hang of digital recording, but it was a gig-night hit for my band the Lunatic Fringe. My luvly wife RC on harmony vocals, Tom Kuhn on bass and harmony vocals.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Matt G, Skub, Obsessed and 1 other person like this.

9. Deeve

Deeve Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 7, 2009
    Ballard
    Okay, Bob - you've just proven the Exception to the Rule I share w/ aspiring songwriters @ the local open mic, which follows "write what ya know" and that's:
    "Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting"

In Your case - it's "what ya know" AND "it sounds interesting"
    Carry on.
    Peace - Deeve

Bob Womack and Nickadermis like this.

10. Obsessed

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Neat story and the Blind Man is a great song.

11. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Michigan
    Oh YEAH!

Obsessed likes this.

12. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jul 28, 2010
    N.Ireland
    Cool stories. :cool:

Ideas are mad things,ya gotta be ready and open to receive,I think.

Love the track Woodman. I thought when you began singing at first that you'd hired Darrell Scott for a session!

I get inspiration from all sorts of places and events. I believe at times,ideas are always flowing and it's us that block the pipes.

Dreams,I get random daft stuff from dreams.:D

One such occurrence was a few months ago. I had been reading a book American Gods before bedtime and my brain offered up a scrambled version pretty much lyrically ready. Once I woke I wrote down what I recalled of the words and filled in the blanks. I tried to keep the spooky,otherworldly feel and be true to the dream.

Obsessed likes this.

13. Obsessed

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Great story and fantastic song.

Skub likes this.

14. LarryInTexas

LarryInTexas Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2012
    Texas
    One of my first attempts at songwriting was the result of a fight. I was walking down a street heading home one night carrying my guitar in the case. This drunk guy came running up, shouting at me. I listened for a minute, and then I said, "Ah, your mother."

That really pissed him off; he punched me in the face, and I went down. I got tangled up with the guitar case, and trying to get up to defend myself when one of my band mates came running up and decked the drunk guy.

I went home, and with blood still dripping from my face, wrote a song about it, start to finish, words and music. We recorded it a few months later, and played it in live gigs, although it wasn't that great of a song. At the time, it was the first and only original song we played.

I saw that guy a few days later, and I figured it was going to be round 2, but he didn't say a word. I think he had been so drunk that night, he didn't ever remember it.

15. Obsessed

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Well, that is a story to write a song about. Kinda funny except that you were punched in the face.

LarryInTexas likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.