Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Stephen Hawking Gone

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BorderRadio, Mar 14, 2018.

1. koen

koen Tele-Afflicted

May 19, 2007
    West of Morocco
    One of the greatest minds ever. Sheldon Cooper must be devastated.

2. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

Feb 25, 2005
    Northfield Center, Ohio
    And Albert Einstein's Birthday

TokyoPortrait and P Thought like this.

3. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    We have enough here for a conspiracy theory

Einstein travelled forward in time to stop Hawking telling us the truth about Stormy Daniels' pie

4. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Holic

We've lost one of our best. The rare person who gave us insights and an appreciation for our universe and life itself. RIP Stephen.

JL_LI likes this.

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Yup, and I reveled in his strange and misguided forays into areas he had no special insight in. Because we should not assume that people who are bright about some things, are bright about all things. Intelligence is not a monolith - there's chasms in it, there's peaks but also an abyss or two.

His life and his mind are there to behold, and it is our job as fellow travelers to determine where to follow and where not to. I want his Process more than I want the conclusions he may draw about this or that. You're not supposed to just stand there in awe; your job as the Possessor of a Mind is to reason, to actually think; to be self critical, and to know when to concentrate on the rational - and when to let your emotional or mystic tendencies win out.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018

6. abrianb

abrianb Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2014
    Indiana
    I have always enjoyed science and Mr.Hawking was a scientist. I have read some of his work. He always included references (always had to read these and references of the references to understand), always willing to discuss or debate. A real scientist is willing to be proven wrong and stands by their work and says here it is show me where I failed. I'll miss him.

7. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Afflicted

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    P Thought likes this.

8. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    RIP Stephen Hawking.

Thanks for the science.

9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm thinking he wouldn't be into the whole RIP thing, so Vale Stephen!

10. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    I generally don't comment on these threads but this is a loss for the world. He was a true genius, a visionary, and not willing to be a victim of anything.

If he drove over your toes...good!

JL_LI and boris bubbanov like this.

11. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    With all due respect, let's not get started on things we say that have no literal value...:D

12. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    No thanks Mr. Hawking, I'll keep my "...fairy story for people afraid of the dark."

Milspec likes this.

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

B-but I'm all about the figurative!

william tele likes this.

14. therealfindo

therealfindo Tele-Holic

Jun 26, 2012
    Germany
    There’s a whole Twitter thread of people commenting that they nearly ran him over in the Cambridge car park because he would zip out between parked cars.

15. smokehousewilly

smokehousewilly Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2009
    the big apple
    I suggest nothing. The facts suggest what the facts will.

In a near vacuum of understanding about him and his field, people everywhere declare what a laudable human being Hawking was.

On the other hand, when presented with documented evidence of a very questionable association, people do funny things like accuse the person who presents the evidence of malice. Then they invent explanations for the evidence out of whole cloth. Would that your friends do that for you, had you been photographed at a bar-b-que in that well-documented den of iniquity (and you must agree that it is, or you wouldn't have reacted defensively).

Hopefully your theory is plausible. Notwithstanding, is there a bio somewhere of the actual things he's done for the human race? Tangible examples of real individuals that the man used his fame and notorious abilities to help?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018

16. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    The world just got a little bit dumber.

JL_LI and awasson like this.

17. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    Most modern physicists seemed to think that Hawking's best days were behind him and that he had become an overrated, celebrity scientist whose latest theories were made for sound bites and weren't very supported by the latest research.

But, they ALL seem to agree that Hawking's contributions regarding the origin of the Big Bang in a singularity and the black hole information paradox were paradigm shifting. Hell, the guy literally changed the way we think about the universe.

That puts him in a very, very exclusive club. Don't minimize the actual accomplishments, just because he chose to appear on Star Trek, y'know? Einstein was a bit of an attention whore, too!

Piggy Stu and Boubou like this.

18. smokehousewilly

smokehousewilly Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2009
    the big apple
    For those who subcontract their thinking out to others.
    And the Theory of Relativity is just a theory, after all.

19. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    ............. :(

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.